The Guitar Thread

Tom

16 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

It's all good. Tbh there's loads of options. I'd personally look at something with at last some more EQ options and maybe Bluetooth. But I'm a tight bastard and would likely end up just cobbling something together from some old car stereo parts. 

My electronics ability starts and stops with replacing batteries, so I'll just throw money at somebody in Richer Sounds or wherever.

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

My electronics ability starts and stops with replacing batteries, so I'll just throw money at somebody in Richer Sounds or wherever.

Richer sounds are spot on in my experience.

I've got one of these, really like it, depends on breaking the bank definition though, around £500 and possibly superseded, had it 3-ish+ years..

https://eu.onkyo.com/en-GLOBAL/audio-hifi/stereo-receivers-amplifiers/stereo-receivers/tx-8250/p/156435

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/8-best-budget-amplifiers-vinyl/

Check that link out. If you go to Richer Sounds you'll almost certainly end up spending more than you need to. 

Not my experience tbh, got my speakers there and salesman saved me over £100 by suggesting/demo'ing a cheaper speaker than the ones I went for that actually blew the ones I thought I wanted away, so much it so even the Mrs thought there was no comparison.

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You're a more canny operator than Dave though. Honestly he's pure babes in the wood. He'd go in for headphones and walk out with two column speakers gaffer taped to his ears. 

You're not wrong. I rely almost entirely on the kindness of strangers. I'm a fucking rube when it comes to stuff like this. 

I'm now torn between getting a receiver that has inputs for my tv, or just keeping the music separate. 

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You're not wrong. I rely almost entirely on the kindness of strangers. I'm a fucking rube when it comes to stuff like this. 

I'm now torn between getting a receiver that has inputs for my tv, or just keeping the music separate. 

Here is an amp absolutely PERFECT for you, it's even got xG :

image.png.71145f4de6f25539d74c998e6d70641c.png

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've got a surround sound receiver which I think cost me a fucking grand. Then the speakers on top. Scandalous. I looked into upgrading recently cos its HDMI but can't cope with ARC or anything over 1080p, but fuck that it's too expensive. If I ever change I think I'll just get a decent soundbar. 

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've got a surround sound receiver which I think cost me a fucking grand. Then the speakers on top. Scandalous. I looked into upgrading recently cos its HDMI but can't cope with ARC or anything over 1080p, but fuck that it's too expensive. If I ever change I think I'll just get a decent soundbar. 

Got a Soundbar for the tv, but honestly it's got that issue where when you're watching a film the speech is a reasonable volume, then when the CGI Smashfest occurs the front of the house is blown across the road. 

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Got a Soundbar for the tv, but honestly it's got that issue where when you're watching a film the speech is a reasonable volume, then when the CGI Smashfest occurs the front of the house is blown across the road. 

Seems like you need a new LG TV with Dolby Atmos soundbar- it sounds crazy.… 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye I think that's just unavoidable with these things. Mine comes with a microphone that you put where your head goes when you watch telly. You set it away and leave the room and it supposedly sets the right level for all the speakers. But you still sometimes have to turn it up to hear wtf people are saying and then it melts your face off if there's an explosion. I think the people mixing the sound for home viewing are just idiots. 

• Like 1

So anyway.

Haven't heard from Flying V man in 5 days after asking how much he valued the V at.

Absolute Tyre kicker this lad, wasting my bloody time.

On 08/08/2022 at 15:50, Tom said:

Looking at sticking a sustainiac and a kill switch in the Charvel. 

God help me.

Ha. You've got me wondering what that combo into something like a Bit Commander might result in. I put a killswitch in an old beater LP a while back. Dunno what I was expecting tbh, played with it for all of 5 minutes and then just went back to rocking the toggle switch for the basically the same effect. Makes a lot more sense putting one in alongside a strat pickup switch than an LP I guess.

Sold the SG Special for £600....so that's a nice £300ish profit. Grabbed this G&L Fallout for £180...and I must say it's absolutely fucking fantastic. 

It plays like a dream and the pickups sound glorious in pretty much all configurations. So there's a P90 and a coil split humbucker. It came up on Facebook marketplace yesterday for 180

and I snapped the guys hands off....

905C3344-F4BE-4F7D-AE6E-A79C83033FA8.jpeg

@Tomare you still getting use out of the Waza Airs? I've finally got round to using them with my Stomp.

So I go guitar into Stomp and just plug the Waza transmitter into the Stomp's output. Stick the Waza on the Flat Amp model, turn all the Waza effects off, and use all the effects/amp models from the Stomp. 

Means I don't have to deal with the Waza app and more importantly I can use the Looper on the Stomp. 

Fucking expensive way to listen to a stomp through headphones but the sound difference between just plugging headphones into the Stomp is big. 

• Like 1

I haven't used them for a while incidentally, they're great to have but my neighbours don't seem to have been bothered about my playing recently. So maybe the daughter moved out again, who knows?

I couldn't get away with the looper on the Waza but I could probably have another go tbh. I just put the Wireless receiver into the pedal board and plugged the guitar in normally.

Obsessed with this little fallout at the moment. The tones are just fantastic & there's so much clarity/dynamic range. 

I got it very cheap but would have felt it was incredibly good value even at full price.

36 minutes ago, Tom said:

Jesus.....get some good headphones or speakers when he's demoing the amps 🤯

I got a bit bored of Joes releases a while back so I haven't listened to him much in the last few years but he is ALWAYS good value in these sort of videos, he knows his shit like no one else.