The Guitar Thread

Tom

Like I say, I honestly think the impedance thing is pretty overblown. In the analogue world it mostly only rears its head if someone wants to put a univibe or something in front of a fuzz face. Otherwise just put the FF first and be done with it. Tone suck is mostly something else like cable capacitance, either from having 20 true-bypass pedals in a chain or just insanely long guitar leads. Usually you can just stick a buffer in somewhere and it's problem solved.

Tones on that video sound really good though. Shame he didn't roll off the guitar volume a bit and show that off, that's half the magic of the Fuzz Face.

• Like 1

Seen this that answers my question on how it handles Fuzz Face clean-up, fucking hell that quite impressive. Think this is the full Helix rather than the stomp though.

Bit surprised looking at the list @Tom posted that there's no real Tonebender patches. Somebody needs to start a petition  to get at least the mk1 and 2 added. Would've expected to see the Super Fuzz and Tone Machine, but I'll let them off with the SF since I'm sure the Boss is 90% the same thing. Other than that it looks a pretty nice collection of fuzz modes and if there all as decent as this FF demo they've knocked it out the park.

All of the helix patches are the same man. 

The cheapest piece of gear has the same firmware/capability as the most expensive. 

Only difference is the physical pedals you activate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

All of the helix patches are the same man. 

The cheapest piece of gear has the same firmware/capability as the most expensive. 

Only difference is the physical pedals you activate.

Ah fuck, the more I read about it the more I think I might want one. This is a shite state of affairs.

How's the "Deranged Master" patch compare to your Rangemaster? Don't hold back like I'll no take offence. I'd expect at least a lower noise floor and wouldn't be surprised if they've tamed it a bit so it's slightly less bright than stock Rangemaster treble frequencies (which I think everyone bar maybe Brian May modded theirs to). 

I'll have to investigate that! 

I still use the rangemaster as it's at the front of the board and the Helix is at the back. 

So =

Wah > Rangemaster > Steel Singer > JHS PG14 > JHS The Kilt V2 > Helix Stomp > Ditto Looper 

Ive taken the TC Electronic June-60 & Keeley Caverns off the board for the Helix. The June 60 is great btw but there's no room for it :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

No room for it :( 

Just build/buy a bigger board man! Paul Gilberts homemade pedalboard is fucking hilarious but if that's good enough for him it's good enough for anyone. Mines are all loosely inspired by the IKEA pedalboard hack and it's probably the only area I think I've got the upper hand on Gilbert.

Good to see you're still getting use out the RM, genuinely would be interested to see how it compares. Boosts are still too underrated if you ask me.

@Tom

don't know if this is of any interest to you. Helix Native is on sale for 49 dollars for registered owners of Helix products. 

It's basically full Helix but as a plug in on your DAW. Must be a black Friday sale thing that they're running. 

On 22/11/2022 at 13:56, Gemmill said:

@Tom

don't know if this is of any interest to you. Helix Native is on sale for 49 dollars for registered owners of Helix products. 

It's basically full Helix but as a plug in on your DAW. Must be a black Friday sale thing that they're running. 

Hmm interesting! I'll give it a look!

22 hours ago, AlbertSmith50 said:

Anyone says this is bad I'm taking ya mother and sister out on dates. 

This dude is a LEGEND.

Remember the name - Stevie Ray Vaughan and (RIP)

That thing in his hands is doing some really weird things to his face.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have had one but it's USA only ;) 

Looks great tbh but it's euromillions stuff. However my Les Paul is similar with the bareknuckle PG Blues in there. I have a 60s slim taper neck however...

I do enjoy watching Trogly however, it's good background stuff when it's something you aren't crazy about and fascinating when it's something you are interested in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one! Point him to the diystompboxes forum it goes awry, they'll get him back on track.

I've got a few old RPi's lying around, remember briefly looking into it for effects years ago but all the good projects were for Arduino. Apparently Arduino had significantly better AD/DA converters than the RPi but I'd imagine the newer Pi's have caught up by now. 

On 22/12/2022 at 07:10, Gemmill said:

Turns out Josh Scott has been using a Kemper on all the JHS videos for the past year to see if anyone would notice. No one has noticed. 

Ha. Always found it hard to dislike Josh despite all the weird and wonderful allegations levelled at him. Like him even more for this. Top tier (and mostly victimless) shithousery.