The Guitar Thread

Tom

10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Are they still cheaper than buying the speakers on their own?

Ended up not buying one as I found a good deal on a 112 and a different 212 more locally but I recall them being good value even accounting for shipping to NZ a couple of years ago.

Aye it is. The V30 loaded one looks a really good deal tbh and should pair with my amp really well. I'm just being petty that the price difference between a V30 and a Greenback (speaker only) is £5 but loaded into the HB cab it's an extra £60 to upgrade the V30 to a GB. 

I'll probably go for the V30 loaded cab for £150. Just felt like having a grumble over weird pricing inconsistencies. Thomann are usually great for bargains if you look hard enough and pick your moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick heads up for the handful of Rangemaster owners on here. Off the back of the recent limited JHS release of Rangemaster clones with the original OC71 transistor that sold out incredibly quickly for fucking silly money, I've just sourced a bunch of OC71's and about half of them are ideal so I have a small batch I'll be flogging imminently.

Don't fall for the hype though. They sound exactly the same as the ones with the Soviet transistors. That and they'll probably be more prone to drift/failure with the trannies being a good 30 years older. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not the best advert :lol: 

Honestly was meant as the opposite of an advert here man. Just reassuring you'se there's fuck all between them. I've been absolutey slammed with Rangemaster orders and requests the last couple of months and was scratching my head as to why, until I seen an article about the JHS thing and it all made sense. Managed to source some OC71's thinking "fuck it, if I'm riding this gravy train might aswell milk it". It's all "mojo parts" wank but if that's what is selling I'd be daft not to offer it if I can.

In other news I nearly pulled the plug on that Harley Benton V30 loaded cab earlier today, but an early 90's Marshall 1912 popped up locally for the same price and I'm in two minds which to go for. My heart wants the V30 but my head is screaming "only an imbecile would buy the Harley Benton over an already well broken Marshall 1912". Dunno which to plump for now. 

On 03/03/2023 at 21:06, Blastronaut said:

Don't fall for the hype though. They sound exactly the same as the ones with the Soviet transistors. That and they'll probably be more prone to drift/failure with the trannies being a good 30 years older. 

Reported

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

First I've heard of it man. Seems to have been traced and cloned 6 ways from Sunday already though, which surprised me almost as much and the photo of the internals on the bax link you put up. A glance at those internal photos on the bax listing, first thought was the combination of carbon film resistors and WIMA looking Capacitors are a bit of a red-flag for a £300 pedal.* 

I've found two revisions of the schematic from a quick Google search, but the missus is out and I've got weans still bouncing off the walls so haven't managed to dig into finding the source to guage how accurate they are or really analyse it. 

Piqued my interest though! I'll have a closer look when I get the chance. Looking at the internals though £300 is a bit of a pisstake. At a glance theres nothing in there that's rare or hard to source. Good chance you'll get accurate and more consistent clones for a fraction of the price.

* I can elaborate on that but didn't want to get out a calculator and descend into a full-on numbers and percentages rant about tolerance. 

Yeh I was thinking it couldn’t be that rare, well my new way of thinking, since Christmas was ruined. ;) 

I just didn’t want him spending a daft amount on a whim, he gets class guitar tones anyway that don’t sound too far off that era. 

He’s looking at more around the $100 mark now which can never hurt too much. 

Bad news for you @Tom, I did some digging into the Dr. Robert and I hate to say it but now I want one. 

Schematics I found all seem legit, and looks really faithful to the pre-amp section of the UL730 amp circuit it claims to emulate.

Good news is clones do pop up from time to time and they all seem to be based on the schematic from Robert over at PedalPCB, who I dont doubt. He usually buys original pedals and traced them by hand, no guesswork or modifications.

Raygun Clone

RGPCo Clone

9 hours ago, Tom said:

well my new way of thinking, since Christmas was ruined. ;) 

Is this a reference to those Fuzz Factory transistors man? Hope I didn't ruin anyone's Christmas like, can't really find fault with those pedals, it's just all the marketing wank I've got no time for. I try to ignore it all and let stuff slide, just now and again I lose perspective and go off on one. 

£300 is probably a bit steep for this Dr. Robert for what it is, but in all fairness its probably two or three times as expensive to build as one of my RM or Sunface clones, and it does look legitimately like an well crafted, original design that took a fair bit more R&D time than anything I'm doing. Kinda having to grudgingly tip my hat to however is behind Aclam pedals* for this, cool idea that looks to be really well executed tbh. 

Steep price tag, but none of the shithousery that usually pisses me off with these things. Fills a niche I wasn't even aware existed. Fair fucking play to them.

You know what it is man, when you turn those rangemasters to 11 they sound as legit and as good anything. 

So I don’t want any cunt spending £300 on pedals :lol: 

His tone is legit vintage as fuck anyway, he’s the last man who needs a £300 Dr Robert

21 hours ago, Tom said:

You know what it is man, when you turn those rangemasters to 11 they sound as legit and as good anything. 

So I don’t want any cunt spending £300 on pedals :lol: 

His tone is legit vintage as fuck anyway, he’s the last man who needs a £300 Dr Robert

I mean if he really wants the sound and functionality of a UL730 without having to fork out for the amp, this is probably as close at he'll get. Should have plenty headroom too. I  was staring at the tone section on the Dr. Robert for ages thinking it looked really interesting and really weird to see in a Vox circuit, but turns out it's almost exactly the same configuration as the UL730 after all. 

I'll probably build one at some point and have a play around. Does look interesting, especially the boost and mids controls. Strikes me as something that might be better suited to running straight into the return of an effects loop rather than before another preamp though, and my amp sadly doesn't have an effect loop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Some nerd shit for you today!

Album is absolutely brilliant as well (if youre into that sort of thing)

Early bit of that video looks a lot like sequenced/midi drums. I love messing with plugins like Superior Drummer, but I swear the time I've poured into that as probably taken years off my life.

Musically it remind me a lot of Devin Townsend's astonishingly brilliant Ziltoid albums, which I think at least one was recorded with the superior drummer plugin. 

I'll shit the fuck up now since I've only watched one minute of the video. Cool stuff though. 

7 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Early bit of that video looks a lot like sequenced/midi drums. I love messing with plugins like Superior Drummer, but I swear the time I've poured into that as probably taken years off my life.

Musically it remind me a lot of Devin Townsend's astonishingly brilliant Ziltoid albums, which I think at least one was recorded with the superior drummer plugin. 

I'll shit the fuck up now since I've only watched one minute of the video. Cool stuff though. 

They usually write with programmed drums, then record properly later

• Like 1

Never heard of superior drummer but could fancy giving it a go now :lol: 

Enjoyed the new periphery album, wasn’t massively different to what they’ve done before but there’s always something that makes it worth a listen.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Never heard of superior drummer but could fancy giving it a go now :lol: 

Ezdrummer is a much cheaper alternative but missing a lot more basic and stripped back. SD is a bit overwhelming with so many options. I'll usually program the main parts in EZD and if it's something I'm really chuffed with will swap over to SD and polish it up a bit more. Then my drummer mate will tell me it's all wrong, try to fix and somehow make it worse. 

Really handy for knocking out backing tracks if your trying to learn a cover song too. Just nick the midi drum part from a Guitar Pro Tab and feed it into one of those plugins. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Can ezdrummer use plugins like GGD?

I have a couple of GGD packs that I run on my electric kit, they sound amazing. 

Is ggd the Kontakt patch?  Ezdrummer works either standalone or as a plugin, I'd imagine you could just swap the plugin, feed it the same midi and your good to go, might have to rearrange the pads though.

I haven't played with GDD, no idea where it sits on a scale of ezdrummer to SD. The toontrack stuff just came along and hooked me in the right place at the right time, which was probably some ten or so years ago so I'm probably at least a decade behind the times. I get lost in it but it's just another vsti at the end of the day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I got ezdrummer too and it's an absolute piece of piss to use as BLASTAZ mentions. Never even occurred to me to use the drum midi from a Guitar Pro file though! Good shout. 

Yeah it takes like two minutes, just export the midi from TuxGuitar and import it to your DAW. It can take quite a bit of editing velocities and such to get them sounding human though. Best bet is probably still to just program parts from scratch if you really want it to not sound like a drum machine. 

This is probably the most convincingly "real" sounding drum track I ever managed to get from EzDrummer.  Think I probabaly sat up all night programming this, for no real reason at all. Dont have that level of patience for it anymore but its still fun to faff around with.

Edited by Blastronaut

• 2 weeks later...

Thought we had already done this? Sure I remember mentioning Thorpy here before.

2022-GPX-Victory-V1-T2-Kraken-Preamp-700.jpg.22b0949f512d1a143d2054a25311bc03.jpg

Looks a pretty classy and top quality build, which Thorpy has a good reputation for.  Could be anything though but looks more distortion pedal than another attempt to emulate the Kraken pre-amp section. Can't find a schematic though so hard to say anything for sure. 

Only one thing I'd mention is the handful of components that have been left off the board (C1, C6, R6, R18, C19, C27 etc) would make me suspect this could be a modified version of some other ThorpyFX pedal circuit rather than a completely new design. But that's pure speculation.