The Guitar Thread

Tom

I used the JHS Milkman & a Univibe at practice & simply made a profile the song. 

I set the helix to ZERO apart from the effects, so the uni & the tape delay go through the tube amp which is getting natural drive from being cranked.

Quite the hack, as everything sounds analogue :lol: 

• Like 2

Ooooo! Love Earthquaker stuff! 

In other news the band I’m in at the moment have just got a gig supporting LOVE a band from the 60s :lol: 

(used to be Love with Arthur Lee I think)

Absolutely buzzing! Looking forward to the announcement as I’ve a lot of mates who are fans of the band 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one @Tom. Hope youse smash it and end up too big to play the 13th Note in September. 

Btw, if any of you were ever into that Freidman/Becker and Malmsteen-esque Neo-Classical shred thing, I'd recommend checking out Eduardo Taddei. Caught him last night and don't think I've ever seen cleaner or more precise sweep picking and legato runs. I'd normally write that kinda stuff off as "load of wank, clearly playing to a click track" bollocks  but somethings different with this guy. He's only 23 but I'd already put him somewhere between Jeff Waters and Paul Gilbert on the virtuoso scale. 

On 30/03/2023 at 22:47, Tom said:

Ooooo! Love Earthquaker stuff! 

In other news the band I’m in at the moment have just got a gig supporting LOVE a band from the 60s :lol: 

(used to be Love with Arthur Lee I think)

Absolutely buzzing! Looking forward to the announcement as I’ve a lot of mates who are fans of the band 

The Band were a different act 👍🏻 ;)

That’s pretty cool though. Love were pretty big in the late 60’s psychedelia/ rock movement 

• Like 1

New Metallica albums out and they've been doing a run on Jimmy Kimmel to promote it.

They still sound absolutely top class, Hetfields voice on this album is the bests its been in yonks (and I really like Hardwired)

Mad that they're still as good as they are at 60.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

New Metallica albums out and they've been doing a run on Jimmy Kimmel to promote it.

They still sound absolutely top class, Hetfields voice on this album is the bests its been in yonks (and I really like Hardwired)

Mad that they're still as good as they are at 60.

Me and the missus had a listen last night (actually might have been Saturday). First few songs didn't grab me and felt a bit Metallica-by-numbers but it really picked up pace wherever Lux Eterna was on the tracklisting. 

I fair enjoyed it tbh, Hetfield on form and some great riffs and choruses, even if a lot of was bit predictable. Only real complaints I can remember drunk me having were some of Kirk's leads sounded like he phoned them in and it all went a bit Annihilator without the self-awareness at points. 

I'll give it another listen through sometime but it felt like a bit of a marathon. Fuck me do they know how to drag out a riff. Bit gutted there's nothing on the album that ties in with bridge in Atlas Rise.

Aye, I'd been eyeing up the Ibanez AM53 for a good while but the prices shot up recently. This came up locally for £100 and was basically unplayed. 

It's more than decent, I expected to either be a total donkey or need a lot of work but all it needed was a new set of strings and a quick setup. Even the nut is cut surprisingly well.

Only slight concern is the wood effect on the back is pretty orange, so it's more than a bit green white and gold. Father in-law saw it and just said "up the ra".

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 1

I like the look of the Les Paul juniors, whack a good P90 in there and it’ll be a decent guitar for the money. 

Can’t go wrong for £100, IRA or not

Stock pickups in this sound good to my ears, if it turns out to be a keeper and I end up upgrading anything it'll be tuning pegs and the toggle switch. 

Early days but it's more than pleasantly surprised me for an off-brand entry-level axe.

@Gemmill it's pretty decent for what it is like. Made me actually want to play a bit more often too and reminded how much I prefer a bound neck, which I've never been able to explain and thought was all in my head, but it's definitely a thing. 

Also thankfully won't ever need any firmware updates, the catch is replacing hardware in a semi-hollow body guitar is probably more of a ballache.

On 29/04/2023 at 03:14, RobinRobin said:

Mohawk Girls Bailey GIF by CBC

🙂

Wasn't mad on the New Radicals if I'm honest @RobinRobin

In other news the V30 loaded HB cab is off the menu. Just lucked out on a 40w solid state Trace Elliott "Tramp" combo from a local recording studio that sadly closed its doors recently that will be both another combo and double as a decent  1x12 cab.

Think my missus was quite relieved when I arrived home with a guitar amp after boldly declaring "back in 10, off to meet a bloke in a car park who's selling an old tramp for £50"

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Wasn't mad on the New Radicals if I'm honest @RobinRobin

Neither was I when I heard them the morning after the League Cup semi-final given that it was played relentlessly before the FA Cup finals against Arsenal and ManU, when we lost 2-0 to teams playing in red.  Hoped the third time would be lucky.  Fuck them. :sad:

15 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Neither was I when I heard them the morning after the League Cup semi-final given that it was played relentlessly before the FA Cup finals against Arsenal and ManU, when we lost 2-0 to teams playing in red.  Hoped the third time would be lucky.  Fuck them. :sad:

I'll be honest, I can only think of that one song off the top of my head. 

15 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

William Storey: We've got the money to save Force India! | Grandprixnews.com

Too much :smile:

Thankfully mines looks more like a guitar amp than "if Gimli was a homeless mackem". 

IMG_20230504_203255911.thumb.jpg.957c37583e372241dfa5678cce0650e4.jpg

Decent score this last few weeks. Decent guitar and amp for £150 all in, both basically mint. Coincidentally both green though, which unfortunately is quite the statement in these parts.

• Like 2

Recording an album on reel to reel tomorrow & Saturday, so that’s gonna be interesting*.

Using the desk the pixies used for doolittle, feeder for echo park etc if that means anything :lol: 

*honestly for me digital recording and a plug in makes more sense

• Like 4

Well that was absolutely fucking mental….it’s kind of weird. I just took it in my stride and it kind of kicked in when we’d finished and left.

The tape recording was incredible, as was recording the band live with baffles. Still some bleed from different channels. A lot of work getting everything set up but worth it.

Dunc from Maximo Park was engineering/producing it, so we had some expertise in the room. He’s such a nice bloke and I grew up with Maximo park so using their studio/working with him was insane for me. I used to queue for the band to sign my vinyls :lol: 

Then we all went to the pub and got smashed. Wonderful. 

• Like 6