The Guitar Thread

Tom

Yeh it was mint. I’d been behaving for both studio days so going to the pub after was a great relief :lol: 

Also it was class listening to stories from the road/getting good advice. 

Apparently the Rolling Stones have a cake with a face of each member on at the catering bit of their shows. Dunc had a piece of keith Richards. 

• Haha 2

Nope I was as good as gold. Pretty much inhaled the first pint when I got to the pub like 

The studio had a fridge full of beer too :lol: 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

The studio had a fridge full of beer too :lol: 

Ha, fucking hell not sure how you managed to resist. Fair play. Last time I was in a studio I most definitely didn't behave. Had a few before (Tucher, I distinctly recall being surprised that the nearest boozer to the studio even had it), went to get cans when they were tracking drums and completely phoned-in my takes so I could fuck off back to the pub as quickly as possible.

Phoned-in is probably understating it too tbh. I didn't even check the sound of takes from the control room. In my defence I was just filling in for a local punk band who were completely underprepared for recording and all more pissed than me.

@Blastronaut - I’ll sort you some band stuff out. Bizarrely, after I posted the Scott Hepple

stuff in here I joined his band and we made a lot of progress :) 

In other news my cousin is gonna give me his late fathers Clapton strat & I’m most sure it’s of the era to have the lace sensors in it. 

I absolutely loved his dad to bits & I never look to take anything off anyone when they die but I suppose it’s been a couple of years and it’s not

being used, I’ll probably gig it and he’d have been buzzing that’s the case I suppose.

I’ve told him I don’t want to own it as such…but I’ll play it/use it 

• Like 4

On 15/05/2023 at 21:14, Blastronaut said:

What's your band even called anyway man? Just occured to me I don't think I've heard you.

Scott Hepple and the sun band 

When shows started flooding in and we got a bit of interest he wanted to change it to a band name but none of the rest of us were really bothered 

• Like 1

That's awesome. Would be mad to drastically change the name when there's a bit of traction. "The sun band" though? I hope the rest of you all refer to him as dad. 

I'm pissed and just got home to find all the kids still awake (at midnight FFS) so will give all that proper listen soon.

• Haha 1

Bought myself a pod go this week as it was a good price. Impressed with the sounds so far. If any of you fine people have experience with helix stuff any tips or tricks you could share would be most helpful. 😎🎸

3 minutes ago, AgentAxeman said:

Bought myself a pod go this week as it was a good price. Impressed with the sounds so far. If any of you fine people have experience with helix stuff any tips or tricks you could share would be most helpful. 😎🎸

John Cordy's YouTube channel is really good for clever ways of using mostly the Stomp and the Pod Go.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

That's awesome. Would be mad to drastically change the name when there's a bit of traction. "The sun band" though? I hope the rest of you all refer to him as dad. 

I'm pissed and just got home to find all the kids still awake (at midnight FFS) so will give all that proper listen soon.

Aye tbh I’m arsed about names really, I love playing the music and hanging out with the band. 

Plus the drummer is absolutely class, never played with a one half as good before.

Those live clips are great man. Some of those leads are wild.

Decent drummers are hard to find and worth their weight in gold man. Weird that despite playing guitar and knowing very little about drums Ive probably got a bigger list of favourite drummers. 

• Like 1

Horses for courses, something Bonham-esque sounds perfect for this stuff. Also apologies, realised now I think you've posted Letting Go before and I've just got a shite memory. 

Wasn't meaning to be wide by joking about how old-school recording reel to reel is. Hearing those live clips it makes a lot of sense not to want that quantized to all fuck and potentially kill the magic.

I was quite skeptical before we did it and would have rather done digital but it was great fun and really unique. 

It sounded great listening to it back so I’m looking forward to the sound after a bit of production. 

Reel to reel sounded like a mental idea to me, each reel is about £90 for a start :lol: 

On 15/05/2023 at 22:01, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

article-2255672-16B6A46F000005DC-495_634

🎶This means nothing to meeeee🎵

They did I Like To Move It 👍🏻

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 10:32, Tom said:

@Blastronaut - I’ll sort you some band stuff out. Bizarrely, after I posted the Scott Hepple

stuff in here I joined his band and we made a lot of progress :) 

In other news my cousin is gonna give me his late fathers Clapton strat & I’m most sure it’s of the era to have the lace sensors in it. 

I absolutely loved his dad to bits & I never look to take anything off anyone when they die but I suppose it’s been a couple of years and it’s not

being used, I’ll probably gig it and he’d have been buzzing that’s the case I suppose.

I’ve told him I don’t want to own it as such…but I’ll play it/use it 

B5E168F2-EB71-40E2-98E2-DAD61CF07EB7.jpeg

Turns out it’s practically new & quite easily the best Strat I’ve ever played & by a decent margin too. It’s the first guitar I’ve ever fallen in love with before it even came out of the case (the case is tweed, with an orange interior which is two of my favourite things :lol:

It’s been sat there a good while so will need a proper set up & the next electrics going over but it’s not really been played much so the core factors that make a guitar work are all there. 

That picture doesn’t do it much justice but I’m gigging it so under the stage lights it’ll no doubt pop. 

It’s black and a Strat which is basically the two aspects of a guitar that will show wear so I’ll have to explain that to me relatives if I gig it a few times and it appears a bit worn, it’s just the nature of em!

Sounds absolutely legit as fuck & I’ll give it the home/use it deserves. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

B5E168F2-EB71-40E2-98E2-DAD61CF07EB7.jpeg

Turns out it’s practically new & quite easily the best Strat I’ve ever played & by a decent margin too. It’s the first guitar I’ve ever fallen in love with before it even came out of the case (the case is tweed, with an orange interior which is two of my favourite things :lol:

It’s been sat there a good while so will need a proper set up & the next electrics going over but it’s not really been played much so the core factors that make a guitar work are all there. 

That picture doesn’t do it much justice but I’m gigging it so under the stage lights it’ll no doubt pop. 

It’s black and a Strat which is basically the two aspects of a guitar that will show wear so I’ll have to explain that to me relatives if I gig it a few times and it appears a bit worn, it’s just the nature of em!

Sounds absolutely legit as fuck & I’ll give it the home/use it deserves. 

Nice. Sounds like your cousin wanted it to be played rather than be a wall hanger so hope your not worrying too much about the inevitable war wounds. I'd bet they're more interested to hear what you do with it than what it looks like. 

Play the fuck out of it. Any dings to the finish can be repaired.

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Play the fuck out of it. Any dings to the finish can be repaired.

So this, plus any and all dings will be the result of the mighty Tom Keith's meteoric rise as a Geordie guitar legend.