The Guitar Thread

Tom

It’s so fun to play it’s unavoidable I think :lol: 

Its like a rolls Royce compared to my perfectly good USA standard

Well I’ve kept this quiet assuming it’s going to somehow get called off or it was a joke or something but….

we’ve been asked to play Third Man Records in Soho on Tuesday. That’s Jack White’s record label/shop :lol: 

Jack White designed the music venue part of it himself and the sound is supposedly impeccable. I think this is going to be a little bit mental. 

• Like 7

Well….that was about the best gig of my life :lol: 

Absolutely incredible venue/people. We had a riot. 

and I got some free stuff and got very, very drunk Reaction Drunk GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Finally got the custom 'guard for my Schecter so I can put some humbuckers in it.

First time sorting out an entirely new set of electronics for a guitar, am I right in saying I'll need a 500k pot each for volume and tone? wtf do I do about capacitors?

Cool, what pickups did you get? Active or passive?

No rules, only guidelines. Typically run with 500k pots for humbuckers (lower values generally help tame bright single coils) and for capacitors only go for lower than the stock value of you want LESS treble roll off. At ten the sound is the same. Higher value capacitor = more range between O and 10 on the tone dial.

No need to go down those rabbit holes and overcomplicate it. Saying that, don't buy into any of the orange drop/Sprague capacitor pish. Nowt against them, but ceramic disc or film capacitors will do exactly the same job for orders of magnitude cheaper, ceramic disc can go microphonic though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Cool, what pickups did you get? Active or passive?

No rules, only guidelines. Typically run with 500k pots for humbuckers (lower values generally help tame bright single coils) and for capacitors only go for lower than the stock value of you want LESS treble roll off. At ten the sound is the same. Higher value capacitor = more range between O and 10 on the tone dial.

No need to go down those rabbit holes and overcomplicate it. Saying that, don't buy into any of the orange drop/Sprague capacitor pish. Nowt against them, but ceramic disc or film capacitors will do exactly the same job for orders of magnitude cheaper, ceramic disc can go microphonic though. 

Cheers man, its getting some passive pickups, a pair of Dimarzio Illuminators which I love but have been sitting in a guitar I don't like playing for a while.

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Cheers man, its getting some passive pickups, a pair of Dimarzio Illuminators which I love but have been sitting in a guitar I don't like playing for a while.

Nice. Ive never been one to get massively hung up on a lot of that, but I've long done the "like how that sounds but not how it's feels" thing and swapped pickups. One of my main goto guitars is a 20yo beater, pretty sure the neck pickup came from a Kerry King BC Rich V, can't remember for the life of me what the bridge pickup is but it's not the stock one and I love it. 

Another quick heads up on capacitors, 47nF, 0.047uF and "473" are all exactly the same values. "Orange drops" and old paper in oil caps seem to be the most fetishised but it's all a load of wank. Modern ceramic or film capacitors will do the same thing with tighter tolerances for much less money. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

So we’re busy :lol: 

3177DC9C-01C1-4101-9D8E-6DBB7F5B5432.jpeg

I live down the road from the Talleyrand in Manchester, literally walking distance. Kazimier in liverpool is a good night out too

• Like 2

On 24/06/2023 at 21:08, Blastronaut said:

Nice one! How's the album shaping up btw? 

We’ve got a good few things to do I think, we’ve got test pressings from the album released in September however - I didn’t play on that but it’s the one we’re touring. 

We got an original melotron and a full sized gong for the second one. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Job done.

Over the moon with this change, been a while since I used these pickups, theyve been say in a guitat I dont really play.

This is perfect for me right now, my favourite playing guitar with my favourite pickups in it.

358060201_809706293870501_3512294072344244473_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 07/10/2022 at 13:00, Andrew said:

Yes. This will do.

20221007_124712.jpg

Right so the black ones off to a new home this weekend, just never seem to gravitate towards it, its a great guitar in theory but the white is more comfortable and if I then want something different my Schecter or my Explorer are next in line.

The Seymour Duncan black winter in it is also sort of shrill and icepicky sounding with my setup when my other guitars are really smooth and nicely compressed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2023 at 11:05, Andrew said:

Right so the black ones off to a new home this weekend, just never seem to gravitate towards it, its a great guitar in theory but the white is more comfortable and if I then want something different my Schecter or my Explorer are next in line.

The Seymour Duncan black winter in it is also sort of shrill and icepicky sounding with my setup when my other guitars are really smooth and nicely compressed.

Some serious Yin and Yang going on in that photo. I'd probably feel more comfortable with the black one but after a quick Google search  the black winter doesn't seem like it would be up my street either. 

Veering off topic, in lieu of pedal building lately I've been on a big midi controller kick thanks to scoring a few cheap "broken" ones that turned out to be fine. Got a Nektar Panorama P1 for £20 thinking I'd repair it and sell it on, but it's a absolute keeper and only turned out to need a factory reset.

Total game changer for me when I'm dicking about with cubase.

• 1 month later...

Tour starts Friday and I think the set is nearly there! 

I’m mainly looking forward to getting out of the country like. Looking at playing a festival in Sardinia next year :lol: 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

£1500 for Joe Bonamassa’s latest Epiphone offering :lol: 

I know thats the way these things are going now but theres absolutely no way I'm paying that for a Chinese made guitar especially one whose full price parent company can't do QC.

They need the PR run that Korea and more recently Indonesia had :lol:

Bonamassa shilling £1500 Epiphones doesn't surprise me at all.

In other news I bought a £15 delay pedal off Temu to see what the crack was. It's fine for what it is, based on the same old long trodded out delay circuit the caverns, deep blue delay and Magnetic Echo are based on. Surprisingly well built too. £15 is basically my costs for a pedal like this long before my time is invested. 

Jeff Waters had a decent looking Epiphone signature V though. I was tempted by one until I remembered I don't get on well with V's and can't shred for shit.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I rate Jeff higher as a player than Joe. Slightly more substance than just complete wank. Joe is an incredibly gifted player, but he poses as a blues guy and I'm not buying it.