The Guitar Thread

Tom

Scott you're probably just making a comment and have no intention of actually going through with it but if by chance you are serious can I recommend you don't sand the lacquer off.
Poly lacquer is horrid but the neck needs some sort of protection from the oil in your skin, whether it be nitro lacquer or you oiling it constantly.

You'd be much better off buying a replacement neck nitro neck either from All Parts or Warmoth and then when you go to sell it you can just put the original back on.

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

Scott you're probably just making a comment and have no intention of actually going through with it but if by chance you are serious can I recommend you don't sand the lacquer off.
Poly lacquer is horrid but the neck needs some sort of protection from the oil in your skin, whether it be nitro lacquer or you oiling it constantly.

You'd be much better off buying a replacement neck nitro neck either from All Parts or Warmoth and then when you go to sell it you can just put the original back on.

Hi mate. It's actually nitro that's on the neck - I wouldn't remove it completely, I'd just be doing it to take the sheen/stickiness off. It's not awful by any means, it's just a lot different to satin. 

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t really mind what’s on the back of the neck tbh, put enough elbow grease in and it plays itself ;) 

Not with the sweat that comes of my hands!

There might be something a bit wrong with me though tbh, since I've been playing a lot more over the last few months I've noticed that I am destroying strings in absolutely no time!

Could it be the heat over there? 

I tend to switch between 2 or 3 guitars the past few months so I’ve been going through them slower.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Could it be the heat over there? 

I tend to switch between 2 or 3 guitars the past few months so I’ve been going through them slower.

Maybe, we're dialling down into autumn now though so I guess I'll be able to rule that in/out in the next few months.

• 2 weeks later...

Peripherys new album is out this Friday, the making of doc is out and features some stunning guitars throughout

as well as a superb advert for D'addario strings, my preferred brand.

• 3 weeks later...

danelectro-dano-63-short-scale-bass-redb

Ive bought myself an old one of these to restore. At £45 I can’t really go wrong, plus I guess it adds tones to my arsenal as it’s a really unique sounding guitar.

I pick it up tomorrow, can’t imagine it need too much repair. I’ve seen them going for £230 to £500 so I’m happy to risk £45.

Worst comes to worst I know a good luthier who’ll probably do any work I can’t for less than £100. It’ll be a nice second bass to thrash about live :) 

Popped to see my luthier today and he gave me a blast of this. He was building it last time I was there & he was fixing my les Paul. 

Its made of 1720s red Brazilian rosewood & is easily the best acoustic guitar I’ve ever played. He wants £6000 for it like so it ought to be.

He also makes guitars from reclaimed wood from Durham cathedral. I thought 300 years was old an all :lol: 

13EB0B99-7A12-4A25-A7F0-F503E451844F.jpeg

89314FDC-A8B2-44C4-8078-3EE684D4E1F6.jpeg

8BDCD2B2-D335-4880-8DB0-68493D756613.jpeg

A7854CDA-D80C-4F15-A6AC-6AE27FEC70C2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Fucking hell it looks lush. I haven't listened to your EP yet btw but I will! 

Aye it was quality like, pretty much all the wood used is rare as fuck but the red Brazilian rosewood used for the body is impossibly rare. They know that’s from a tree cut down in Brazil in 1720.... :lol:

Aye the E.P is canny scrappy but I wanted to put out old songs rather than redo them and have the next release be a bit more refined...oh and also use drums.

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Bought a Boss Katana Air yesterday btw. It'll live in the living room much to.my lass's delight. 

Haven't had a chance to properly play with it yet but seems good so far. 

That looks fantastic...will you be able to resist running round the living room like Angus Young? :lol: 

Turns out I’ve actually sold a few EPs on iTunes. What’s that about!? :lol:

I could never have imagined making my $20 publishing expenses back but I’m on course.

Im wondering how much I’ll get back per sale, 10p? 

I've hit the big time :lol: 

Bonamassa has just announced a show in Christchurch later this year but his ticket prices remain absolutely through the roof.

£125 for the floor seats down to £50 to be up in the gods.

It cost me less to see Queen...

That’s ridiculous mind. He’s one of the few artists where you’ll actually be able to hear him play properly at the front too - courtesy of the Perspex shells in front of his rig.

*puts glasses on*

*folds newspaper*

”first time I watched Joe play it was £12 in...this country Beryl...”