Tom

The Guitar Thread

Remember this kid he's all grown up now 

He owns a couple of Steve Vai's famous guitars that Steve gave him the 1st ones on the Passion & Warfare cover 

The 2nd one featured in the video for Goin' Crazy by David Lee Roth  when Vai was in his band 

I've recently got back in touch with Tom as I think I helped him a little bit on his journey. In August 1988 a couple of days before Donington i saw an advert saying something like Junior Jimi Hendrix play at The Percy Arms Newcastle. This intrigued me so I went along & saw this little kid playing an Ibanez Jem Floral he played Tobbaco Road bits of Euruption etc I was gobsmacked. I spoke to Tom's dad John during the interval & mentioned I was going to Donington Monsters Of Rock at the weekend. I said it was a shame they couldn't go & meet Steve Vai as I'm sure he'd be impressed. I'd only ever seen I Jem before & that was of Vai in Kerrang. It was an off the cuff remark. At the end of the night i took off my Van Halen t shirt & gave it to Tom telling him if your going to be a rock star you better start wearing t shirts like this. I wish them both well & navigated my way across Percy St to get the bus home. About 6 months later there was a documentary on BBC about guitar greats it featured Hendrix , Blackmore, Beck, Page etc. Then right at the very end they showed some footage of Tom  playing at The Moira Arms in Donington. It wasnt until a few years later I found out what happened John drove Tom down to Donington managed to persuade the pub landlord to let Tom play that night. It just so happened that Vai's roadie was in the pub. He got John & Tom backstage the following  day & were taken to Vai's caravan Tom plugged his guitar in started playing & Vai was blown away. The rest as they say is history Tom featured as "Little Stevie Vai" in the video for The audience Is Listening.  After that Tom & Vai got some other talented youngsters together & formed a band Bad 4 Good they featured on MTV eventually Tom came back to the UK. He's now manager of a music shop in Newcastle & the last couple of years has taken up playing again. He very recently released an e.p. under the name McRoclin called Beginnings & in November support Dragonforce on their UK tour playing in Newcastle on the 14th I'm hoping to get along were me & Tom have decided to have a meet up. 

Edited by trooper
  • Like 2

Just made a slightly silly order from GuitarGuitar which their quite ambitious shipping estimator reckons will be in New Zealand on Friday.

So I guess we'll see :razz: 

Metalhead!  Not my thing but I gather they're nice guitars. Is that what you were getting from guitarguitar?

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Metalhead!  Not my thing but I gather they're nice guitars. Is that what you were getting from guitarguitar?

It is indeed! ex-demo and therefore so inexpensive that it cost me a few hundred quid less to buy it, ship it here and pay the import on it than to buy one new in NZ.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Wow that looks great! What’s it like?

Also I’ll give your insta a follow :up: 

Cheers :lol: I don't post much on there, its entirely guitars and pictures of my wife.

As for the guitars, early signs were a bit shite tbh, I got it out of the box and a string immediately popped out of the tuner which had not chance of getting back in, and of course I had no spares.

Quick trip to the nearest shop before they closed, restring and the setup was terrible buzzing on every string for the first 5 frets or so. I was concerned.

Bit of setting up to get it going (Its still not perfect, needs a truss rod tweak and some more adjustments) and my worries fell away.

Frets are massive, ebony fret board is super smooth, neck is big but "modern" profiled, there is plenty of girth there but it has a nice flat feeling back, not too round or too thin.

Locking tuners are great, restring took no time at all.

The EMGs are Hetfields signature set, which is nice, no lower cost gubbins like some of the secondary brand guitars can have.

I tried one in a shop when I went up to Auckland a month or so ago and loved the feel of it but it sounded like shit, which I suspected was due to the Orange crush something-or-other they plugged me into. I was right.

The Kraken and this get on incredibly well, my modified Squier with the dimarzios sounds great through that setup but this has just got so much power in it.

Surprisingly I can go from full high gain chug on the bridge pickup to a rolled back (two volume controls, no tone) neck pickup and it actually cleans up staggeringly well, I wasn't expecting quite such a range from these based on my experience of active EMGs before, I was expecting all grunt all the way until the volume went off.

Its good.

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

LINK?!?!?!

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

New day, new seating for Tom to enjoy!

Have fun. 

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Locking tuners are great, restring took no time at all.

They are awesome mind. I’m often sitting looking round for something to do because I feel like I haven’t done enough.

can get the MBA1 restrung and tuned in about 5 minutes. It’s probably closer to an hour with the Les Paul!

im glad you’re enjoying it anyway, get a video up of it sometime!