The Guitar Thread

Tom

You're still young...cut your losses and just start forcing yourself to play right handed. It'll be an easier life in the long run! ;)

if anyone had given me that advice early on (say year 1) explaining why then I would no question about it

I started learning on my mums old Classical guitar because it was all I had , which wasn't ideal as I had no desire to play classical stuff at the time and just wanted to play Rock and Metal, which meant it was an absolute bitch to play. But I did find that when I got my first electric, which was a squire as well, actually (definitely recommended) it seemed really easy to play, and certainly put me in good sted

My cousin covering Joe Bonamassa.

Very impressive and although there were a few things wrong with it technique wise it's not something a young lad should really worry about unless someone's spent a lot of money on lessons but IIRC you said he was self taught?

The most important thing with a song like Django is the style anyway so If I were to give him any advice it would be to play the style and not the composition, i.e it doesn't have to be note perfect.

Very expensive guitar for a young lad too! ;)

(I was 18 when I got my Les Paul but the same still applies as I was pretty much the only lad who had one at the time amongst friends and peers)

Thanks Tom. Luckily his dad (although not musical) loves music and rock in particular (got me into people like Led Zep when I was younger) so he's been good enough to buy the lad some quality kit for lad for Xmas etc. He's a nice young kid as well and not a big heed.

got my Carvin back today, fully rewired and with new pots in, the work the fella has done is fantastic, incredibly neat wiring and soldering throughout

stringed up and plugged in and its like a different guitar, sounds like I always wanted it to :)

Edited by Andrew

• 5 weeks later...
Nice :)

Whack a picture up!

Sadly it doesn't have pictures,but I thought that it was worth a punt with a low bid. Apparently its white with gold humbuckers, whatever those are. Problem is I won't have the internet for when the deadline nears. And there is no stroke boy getting excited either.

Now watch as you all outbid me!

Nice :)

Whack a picture up!

Sadly it doesn't have pictures,but I thought that it was worth a punt with a low bid. Apparently its white with gold humbuckers, whatever those are. Problem is I won't have the internet for when the deadline nears. And there is no stroke boy getting excited either.

Now watch as you all outbid me!

37130_l.jpg

should be about what it looks like though not a gibby obviously

humbuckers are the type of pickups, there are basically 2 types, humbuckers and single coils

I have these.

Epiphone Les Paul 56 Goldtop

41-TmtQg3XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Epiphone 'Dot' 335 Cherry

EPDOTSLTDCH.jpg

Epiphone EJ200 Sunburst

epiphone_ej200_sb.jpg

and my Bass.

Fender Precision Bass Standard Arctic White

40828_l.jpg

Edited by Tom_NUFC

My Gear

It's missing the latest addition (below) and an SG.

f0x5qx.jpg

What do you think of the Orange? I've only ever played a Rockerverb 50 head, but it was awesome

I've got a Laney GH100L head and a little Marshal MG10CD, nothing spectacular but I don't have the money to get much else :lol:

The orange is great, it's really versatile but I must admit I'm tempted to get it out the way as I'm a bit bored of it but then I say this every other month and can't let it go so I guess it's a permanent fixture. :lol:

Here is an MP4 file of me doing ''Folsom Prison Blues'' by Johnny Cash for Kevin.S.blablabla. This was about two years back and it was mostly one take so the singing is canny awful but using an acoustic, an Ibby JS100* and a bass of some kind the mix is ok.

*Yes they can sound like that :lol:

The orange is great, it's really versatile but I must admit I'm tempted to get it out the way as I'm a bit bored of it but then I say this every other month and can't let it go so I guess it's a permanent fixture. :lol:

Hah, I've often felt the same about my Tele but I wouldn't get enough to justify it thanks to the crack that came with it. I plan on getting a Cornford MK50 MKII and/or Carrera when I have a spare £1,700 lying about :lol: