The Guitar Thread

Tom

1 minute ago, Blastronaut said:

Glad for that 3rd photo. I was squinting at the first two thinking "what inlays?". Looks like a nice bit of kit though. This isn't a criticism but just reminded me of something that baffled me for years: why do so many strat style guitars have the truss rod adjustment at the heel? Is there was a reason beyond discouraging shitheads that don't know what theyre doing from fucking about with it?

As an aside, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I'm so far out of the loop that I had to look up Nick Johnston only to find he's had Guthrie Govan, Marco Minnemann and Paul Gilbert play for him.

Its just to make it less of a faff, taking off a cover or getting a wrench in between the strings on the headstock for something that needs tiny adjustments is a fucking ballache, I've always hated it.

I'm not much a fan of NJs music particularly, hes got some cool songs and hes an exceptional player though, and seems like a really nice bloke.

The only thing that shows this as being a signature guitar is that inlay on the back of the headstock, so it isn't super in your face about it. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Alright here you go, Schecter Nick Johnston in what I think is called "atomic pink" plus a special chair for Tom.

It is very easy to play would be my description, the neck is thin and that roasted matte finish is super easy to move around on. I really like the brass circle inlays.

20220320_103136.jpg

20220320_103202.jpg

20220320_103216.jpg

20220320_103228.jpg

20220320_103245.jpg

That looks absolutely class. 

and the guitars not bad either.

• Like 1

I love having the truss rod adjustment out in the open like that. It's the same on my strat and it's a piece of piss to adjust. My fucking tele on the other hand needs the neck taking off altogether and it's such a pain in the hoop. 

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Its just to make it less of a faff, taking off a cover or getting a wrench in between the strings on the headstock for something that needs tiny adjustments is a fucking ballache, I've always hated it.

I'm not much a fan of NJs music particularly, hes got some cool songs and hes an exceptional player though, and seems like a really nice bloke.

The only thing that shows this as being a signature guitar is that inlay on the back of the headstock, so it isn't super in your face about it.

On guitars like this (that have the little slot in the pickguard) I get your point and can see the logic, but it leaves you limited what key/wrench you can use. Far to many guitars though don't even have that slot and you've no option but to pop the neck or remove the pickguard which is even more work. 

I don't mean to sound pedantic or take a cheap pop at your new guitar, it's just getting into truss rod season here and that arrangement is one of my pet peeves. I'm probably missing something though.

@Gemmill just articulated what I was getting at far better than I did. I'm not trying to make any grand point, it's just one of the few things that fucks me off with some bolt-on necks.

Is it not just as easy to have it at the headstock and just have it uncovered?

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's not just a slot here, where you would have to awkwardly angle a wrench in. There's an actual "wheel" that you just stick an allen key in and turn the wheel to adjust. 

Ah fuck, well that makes more sense and a genuine thanks for that. Just showed myself up for the absolute dinosaur I am. I have seen those but forgot they were a thing. Sorry @Andrew I'll concede this one, it's clearly a better design. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

OOoooohhhh right yeah that now makes a lot more sense :lol:

Yeah here...

20220320_122903.jpg

Yeah my bad. I don't get out much these days and spend so much time with ancient tech I forget cool stuff like this even exists.

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

(apologies if you already realised that btw)

Nope, sheer ignorance on my part that really needed that diplomatic intervention. 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Is that an Ebony fretboard? Looks very dark.

Yep! It's really nice.

I'm surprised to find that I might not have to do some mods I had in mind as well, I was thinking about a pickup swap before I'd even bought it as I typically dont like three single coils but on the bridge pickup, with the tone all the way up it actually sounds incredible with shit loads of gain.

For. Fucks. Sake. 

£30 from some bloke in Seaham who’s having a massive clear out. He built it and thought he’d wired it wrong so it was cheap but he hasn’t wired it wrong, it’s fine. He just couldn’t figure out how to put tone pots in :lol: 

Gonna stick a Chibson decal on the headstock.

8C3794C8-C9C3-4155-A870-7E0592DDBB3F.jpeg

1D0C9D79-6DC4-4A5B-A815-2FC168D641C5.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeh I messaged him straight away when i saw it but someone had already gone for it but that sale fell through. 

I think the parts are fairly low grade but there’s £80 worth of pickups in there for a start. He told me he just couldn’t be arsed to take them out :lol: 

• Haha 1

Yeh they’re quite nice. Well I haven’t really used the single coil yet, I’m between bridge and neck at the moment. 

I tend to get these bargains sometimes as I’m always scanning gumtree/Facebook market place obsessively despite never really wanting anything but if something is a steal I like to go for it. 

This is less than 24 hours since I was telling @Asprillaits  a waste of time for me buying any more guitars lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Nah definitely not. He’s selling about 10 guitars and I was tempted to have a look but not after the Waza’s :lol: 

Nice find! I get gumtree email alerts almost daily for local gear but don't dare read them half the time for fear that I'll end up buying another 4x12 because "it's only £50!". 

• Haha 1