The Guitar Thread

Tom

That's an infinitely better find than a £50 4x12 though. Mate of mines once scored a fucked up BC Rich V that had been covered in gaffer tape for a "faux snakeskin" look for £30 (was actually a decent playing lump of wood and we ended up refinishing it one summer about 10 years ago with questionable results) and you've made even that sound like really stupid purchase.

• Like 1

Emailed Schecter to ask about pickguard replacements, despite liking the sound of the singles I still want to think about a pickup change, possibly loading a black guard up with two humbuckers to swap in some time.

Anyone have any recommendations for custom orders? WD music seems to be the one I see online but their custom orders are closed at the moment.

On 20/03/2022 at 10:35, Andrew said:

Alright here you go, Schecter Nick Johnston in what I think is called "atomic pink" plus a special chair for Tom.

It is very easy to play would be my description, the neck is thin and that roasted matte finish is super easy to move around on. I really like the brass circle inlays.

20220320_103136.jpg

20220320_103216.jpg

20220320_103245.jpg

Jammed with a mate tonight for this guitars first proper test run, its so good, I'm smitten.

We mostly play Metallica songs which you wouldn't expect to be this guitars forte but theres something going on with the tone control, with high gain, rolling it all the way off makes it sound like a humbucker equipped guitar and I do not understand it.

Rather than that wooly sound, it just loses the trebly harshness of a single coil + high gain without losing any definition and it sounds fucking brilliant.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

Jammed with a mate tonight for this guitars first proper test run, its so good, I'm smitten.

We mostly play Metallica songs which you wouldn't expect to be this guitars forte but theres something going on with the tone control, with high gain, rolling it all the way off makes it sound like a humbucker equipped guitar and I do not understand it.

Rather than that wooly sound, it just loses the trebly harshness of a single coil + high gain without losing any definition and it sounds fucking brilliant.

Do you gig the Metallica stuff or is it just for jamm purposes?

5 hours ago, Dougle said:

Do you gig the Metallica stuff or is it just for jamm purposes?

Just for jams, I haven't gigged since I was a teenager, hated the nerves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2022 at 09:21, Andrew said:

rolling it all the way off makes it sound like a humbucker equipped guitar and I do not understand it.

If you do ever take that pickguard off to change something I would be really interested to see a photo of the original wiring.

While I'm here I should call myself out for earlier comments about tube production, think I was pretty wide of the mark. Mexico and Slovakia don't produce tubes after all, they just import from the east and grade, mark and match them. Ive seen western electric are stepping in to help which is cool, I don't imagine their prices will anywhere near in line with what we're used to though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 13:45, Monkeys Fist said:

For a little thing it’s got some oomph to it. 

We used to be well liked in our street…:lol:

Live footage from the Fist household

• Haha 2

On 15/04/2022 at 13:45, Monkeys Fist said:

For a little thing it’s got some oomph to it. 

We used to be well liked in our street…:lol:

If the neighbours have already turned on you with that thing I'd recommend this upgrade to put them back in their place.