The Guitar Thread

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or are we seeing roasted maple necks on pretty much everything now? 

Im fairly sure they used to be reserved for high end Musicmans etc 

Its the same as a lot of things I suppose, trickle down economics actually happens in guitar building :razz:

Locking tuners, stainless steel frets, roasted necks, veneers and figured tops, bursts and fancy finishes.

You can genuinely get stuff that was top end spec stuff 10 or 15 years ago on entry/mid level gear now.

I have one guitar with a roasted maple neck and it was made in Indonesia.

Aye good points Andrew. Once a manufacturer is able to make flamed maple necks on a larger scale it probabaly makes a lot of sense to just do all of them the same way. Anything that speeds up the process and improves the overall quality of the product is probably a desirable to manufactures even if it's expensive at first. More so if it looks cool.

Ah that’s a good point like. I was watching Pete on Andertons TV with a contemporary Squier and the neck on it looked insane - they reckon they picked it out randomly but who knows?

Its nice that the hitherto upmarket stuff is more accessible because when I was growing up cheap guitars absolutely sucked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Ah that’s a good point like. I was watching Pete on Andertons TV with a contemporary Squier and the neck on it looked insane - they reckon they picked it out randomly but who knows?

Its nice that the hitherto upmarket stuff is more accessible because when I was growing up cheap guitars absolutely sucked.

honestly the contemporary squiers are fucking insane for how much they cost. My tele has fallen down the pecking order a wee bit, it weighs as much as my explorer does but since it is smaller and weighs more than my CS tele it feels like it weighs a ton whenever I pick it up.

The neck though is unquestionably superb, finish feels fantastic. 

• Like 1

Ibanez GRGR221PA GIO, Aqua Burst at Gear4music

Just ordered one of these.

I don’t have anything blue and the only other cheapo Ibanez I have sounds mint.

So here’s hoping. Reviewers are loving it other than the pickups.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Few more month in the gym and you won’t be bothered about weight ;) 

You're the strong one man, I'm just a poser :razz:

• Haha 1

The Ibanez arrived today. I cannot express how in love I am with it already. It is magnificent. Rough as a badger’s arse but tremendous for a couple of hundred quid.

And weirdly on my way to work last night I found an acoustic nylon in our back lane. Home made from 1965 according to a sticker inside.

Ooof that Ibanez does look tasty for an entry model, tbh most of their “entry” models are the best value for money you’re going to get. 

Looks like an absolute machine. Nice find on the acoustic too! 

The acoustic is hilarious. No idea what is going on with that bridge. Strange thing to find in the street, must have just been restrung too as the strings have more stretch in them than CT’s imagination.

The Ibanez though is a gem.

• Haha 1

My old man could pluck a tune or two and had a decent (I think - I know nowt) acoustic.

My mam has asked if I want it, I have no musical talent. Im considering it but it will probably just sit in our house gathering dust.

This is a broad question but how hard is it to learn the basics? Baring in mind I have big sausage fingers.

Once I can do something with it I will be more likely to keep it up and get better.

Just learning your basic few chords will honestly open up the ability to strum out absolutely loads of songs tbh, getting to that isn't so tough if that's what you're after.

Worlds your oyster after that, I'd recommend getting some in person lessons to get you going and then just see how you feel about it.

• 3 weeks later...