The Guitar Thread

Tom

ok help.

I am going to buy one of these two guitars but I can't decide which.

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/esp-ltd-m-ht-arctic-metal-left-handed-snow-white-satin-electric-guitar

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/esp-ltd-ec-black-metal-black-satin-left-handed-single-cut-electric-guitar

I may be the only "metal" guy here (I am not sure) but I fully can't decide which of these I like more.

Took delivery of my Helix LT on Saturday. Love it. 

But anyway, put my Stomp and HX Effects up on ebay. The required opening bid for the two of them comes to a combined £600 (£350 Stomp, £250 HX Effects), but they're being sold as separate items. 

Got a message off some joker last night asking if I'd accept £500 is he bought them both. :lol: No problem sir, which of them would you like me to apply your £100 discount to? 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

ok help.

I am going to buy one of these two guitars but I can't decide which.

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/esp-ltd-m-ht-arctic-metal-left-handed-snow-white-satin-electric-guitar

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/esp-ltd-ec-black-metal-black-satin-left-handed-single-cut-electric-guitar

I may be the only "metal" guy here (I am not sure) but I fully can't decide which of these I like more.

Sooo I bought both :lol:

• Haha 3

Must be massive ballache being a lefty guitar player. Cool that you're still always able to find guitars that float your boat though, despite the premium. 

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

I'm a bit of a metal-head but don't really keep up with most of the new scenes and I'm more inclined toward stuff that sounds like Motorhead having an amphetamine and alcohol fuelled scrap with Sabbath over a lot of the more modern, technical and perfectly polished stuff.  

I'm heavily obsessed with Carcass and High on Fire, still not over Des leaving HoF.  Big soft spots for bands like BoltThrower.  Loved the short lived de Grasso/Pitrelli era Megadeth (album was a bit limp but live there was a dynamic there that really floated my boat). Saw Hellripper recently too and was massively impressed, seriously good old-school thrash  band that are making a few waves locally.

On 03/10/2022 at 09:50, Gemmill said:

Took delivery of my Helix LT on Saturday. Love it. 

But anyway, put my Stomp and HX Effects up on ebay. The required opening bid for the two of them comes to a combined £600 (£350 Stomp, £250 HX Effects), but they're being sold as separate items. 

Got a message off some joker last night asking if I'd accept £500 is he bought them both. :lol: No problem sir, which of them would you like me to apply your £100 discount to? 

As an ebay seller I hate and actively avoid selling auctions. As a buyer I Iike them, especially stuff that ends early on a Monday or Tuesday morning.

• Like 1

Sorry @Tom I will remedy that soon!

Just bought one of these https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm

Plan for it is mainly for a mate of mine coming over in Jan so I can split out some of my gear and we can jam.

One rig will be Tubescreamer > Kraken > This thing > Mesa 112

Other will be Pedal board > Katana > Laney 212.

Only extra thing I needed was a power amp for the Kraken, which is nice. 

• Like 2

I rate a lot of these wee pedal sized amp "heads" fwiw. Haven't used this one but stuff like the EHX Magnum '44 are handy bits of gear to have around, and there's hundreds of similar stuff that's really feasible as beginner pedal building projects that all run off car radio power amp chips (albeit lower output and DC powered).

I'm genuinely curious how it sounds, let us know how it works out man.  On paper it looks overkill for two guys jamming in a room but for the price I totally get it. Really interested to know how it takes pedals/preamps.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Justin Hawkins deconstructing Polyphia is good value :lol: 

I was expecting curmudgeonly moaning about it but aye that was fun :lol:

I really like Polyphia these days tbh, took a while for it to click.

Also quite keen on flowery guitar straps, tight jeans and baggy jumpers so maybe thats it.

He's a far better guitar player than he's letting on like but it made me laugh :lol:

I do like Polyphia in short bursts but yeh I don't have a clue how to play that style. It's the percussive actions that get me, also I'm not too much of a fan so that I'd actually learn it.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Put 8s on my tele tonight. Fucking class. :lol:

Fucking hell :lol: I put 9s on my strat last week and they felt absurdly light for a couple of days

I watched that Beato video a while back where he actually sound tested different gauges (he swears by 8s), so thought I'd give it a go. 

Billy Gibbons plays 7s ffs. 7-38. Mine are 8-38, so I've got Gibbons beat. 

• Haha 1

Gibson now selling aftermarket pickups....game changing!

Regarding string gauge it's really up to the individual, you can tailor your amps/pedals to make up the difference. I.e BB King's tone was massive but he used 8s.

I vary mine quite a lot, more often than not I'll use 10s but have gone way heavier and way lighter for different guitars. 

Also don't be afraid to mix it up, my Les Paul is strung with skinny top/heavy bottoms so 10-52...it just suits the guitar!

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

Gibson now selling aftermarket pickups....game changing!

Regarding string gauge it's really up to the individual, you can tailor your amps/pedals to make up the difference. I.e BB King's tone was massive but he used 8s.

I vary mine quite a lot, more often than not I'll use 10s but have gone way heavier and way lighter for different guitars. 

Also don't be afraid to mix it up, my Les Paul is strung with skinny top/heavy bottoms so 10-52...it just suits the guitar!

That is a properly big deal, they're selling 35 different ones at decent prices compared to your usual aftermarket pickups and cheaper than the used market for some of their pickups.