The Guitar Thread

Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Anyone got any good ideas regarding reverb/delay pedals? 

I think I've had my fun with the Keeley Caverns & it's on it way out. 

Tom I've got a proposal for you here. HEAR ME OUT! 

Video here on how the HX Stomp can be used as an alternative to expensive delay PEDALS - in this case a £680 Meris delay. It contains a fuck load of models of classic delays including the Memory Man and old tape echos like the Echoplex and Binson Echorec. 

And you'll get stuff like their shuffling looper which you'll have a mint time pissing about with (it's basically a sequencer for your guitar), it splices up whatever you play into it and plays it back on a loop but all chopped up. 

And all the reverbs.

And then you've even got amp models to piss about with or you could just skip that and run it straight to your amp. 

And my final piece of the jigsaw - you can use the amp models and cabs and plug headphones in AND it's got a looper so you can be making loops directly into your lugs. 

And it's the size of one pedal so it's small enough to take anywhere. 

There you go. My stump speech is over. I WILL BE TAKING NO QUESTIONS AT THIS TIME. 

I'm convinced by the delay stuff...

have you an example of the sequencer? Sounds class. 

Little bit out of budget at the moment but I've that much gear I can quickly shift stuff and swap around.

@Tom If by "on the way out" you mean it's faulty feel free to give me a shout, probably an easy repair. If you've just fallen out with it it might be time to go digital.

Caverns was based on the Mag Echo echo circuit so it's a primitive bucket brigade device (pt2399) at its core. It's a cool chip to play around with but its biggest limitation is that the quality of the repeats starts to degrade (quite severely) at longer delay times. Next step up from the pt2399 is Belton Brick based delays and reverbs, but a Belton Brick is essentially just several PT2399 chips rolled into one oversized box. All that stuff has a sort of faux-analogue warmth that I really quite like at shorter delay times but fall apart a fair bit at longer delay times. 

I dunno exactly what to recommend. Looking at the caverns it's probably the most feature-rich of delays built on that tech (barring maybe tap-tempo? You can also get that with bucket brigade chips) I guess if you liked the sound/feel and found it easy to dial in you could stick with that technology but honestly you'll get longer delay times and cleaner repeats going digital. 

That said, I keep that side of my board really stripped back because and as simple as possible because I'm an idiot that can barely navigate the Deluxe Memory Man menus sober, never mind after a drink. I'm content with either a Carbon Copy or a simple 3-knob pt2399 based delay. 

Edited by Blastronaut
Edited "signal" to repeats.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm convinced by the delay stuff...

have you an example of the sequencer? Sounds class. 

Little bit out of budget at the moment but I've that much gear I can quickly shift stuff and swap around.

This Cordy lad is a fan - you can see him fucking about with it here. You can hear the shuffling looper kick in at about 25 seconds. See below though, you don't just have to accept the first version of the loop it gives you, you can mess with it after the fact. 

The video below is good for explaining the controls but once you've recorded a loop you can just start spinning the controls and it'll fuck with the loop you've already recorded. Just keep messing with things til it turns it into something that sounds like you'd want to dick about over the top of it.

Once you've worked out the sort of settings you like, you'll get consistently "good" loops out of it. Good as in stuff you know you're gonna like. 

Because it splices the loop into segments, it ends up being dead rhythmic if that makes sense (you can see a bit of what I mean from Cordy's video above) so you can properly get lost fanning about on top of it. 

• Thanks 1

Largely agree with @Gemmill but I'm still torn between the logical side of my brain saying "this is undoubtedly lightyears better tech and a massive sonic upgrade" and the practical side thats screaming "I really don't fancy trying to dial in something in on that on the fly after I've had a few".

• Haha 1

@Tombizarre but as I was typing about the shuffle looper last night, my boy Cordy must have been uploading this new video.

Ffwd through the playing at the start if you just want to see him explain a creative way of using the shuffle looper. 

Edited by Gemmill

So the board will be....

Wah > Blastronaut Rangemaster > NUX Steel Singer > JHS PG14 > JHS The Kilt V2 > TC Electronic June-60 - Line 6 Helix Stomp - TC Electronic Ditto Looper (depending on Line 6 loop quality) 

Are you going Stomp instead of HX Effects? 

The looper on the helix stuff is fine but the loop time is quite short and there's no memory so if you switch it off and come back it's wiped. Which is a pain in the tits at times. 

14 hours ago, Tom said:

Ok lads.... @Gemmillhas won this round. I'm going digital. :lol: 

Anyone wants to buy a Keeley Caverns or a G&L Fallout Tribute just let me know...

Good decision! I do like my caverns, dont think I need a second one :razz:

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

I do like my caverns

From what I gather the Caverns is just Keeley's mag echo and his tri-verb in the same box. Not meaning to shit on it, I love the Magnetic Echo but it is quirky and a bit limited. Still the best pt2399 based delay I've ever played around with though.

:lol: Happy days. You need to update the firmware though. Looks like you can only fit 6 blocks there, but they upped that to 8 blocks a couple of updates ago. 

You'll get a bunch of new amps and effects added when you update too, but the big change is 8 blocks per preset. 

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/updating-helixhx-r965/

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-to-update-firmware-on-a-helix-family-devices/

Haha either of those links should sort you out. I've just scanned through them and they make it sound canny complicated. 

Basically the steps are. 

Go to Line 6 website and download and install HX Edit on your computer. This'll put the HX Stomp drivers on there so it'll recognise your Stomp when you plug it in to your PC with USB. 

While you're on the Line 6 Website, download Line 6 Updater too. 

Once they're both installed, connect your stomp via USB to your computer. Launch Line 6 Updater on your PC. 

It'll find your stomp and you just click the buttons on your PC to update it. Latest firmware is 3.15 and you can just jump straight to that. It'll take about 5 minutes and then you'll be Tommy 8 Blocks. 

If you're sick of bending over to adjust things on the Stomp, if you leave it plugged in to your PC and open HX edit on your PC you can create your presets and edit the signal flow, save your presets, tweak pedal settings etc all from your computer. 

Edited by Gemmill

I'll get round to that later, I'm currently not using it for what I bought it for at all :lol: 

Im just going through all the presets and making a couple myself. 

I'll eventually make 5 or so delay presets and use them on the board but I'm finding it hard to put down the other stuff at the moment.

Quick question gents- a while back someone recommended a gadget that plugs in to your guitar and acts like an effect pedal - ring any bells? 

Fist Jnr. has saved up a fair stash and if he doesn’t spend it this instant the world will explode, or something. 

It looked very neat and compact but I can’t be arsed trawling back through pages and pages   

Cheers in advance.