The Guitar Thread

Tom

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've given myself a problem stepping away from the helix to regular amps and effects. I don't have enough money for all the things I want. :razz: 

Borrowing some stuff of a mate while hes away working so I have a tubscreamer, flashback delay and the fender marine layer off him at the moment.

Also bought a Behringer VD400 based on the JHS, analogue delay for £25, can't complain.

Also finally getting my two stored guitars in the UK sent out here after two years. I cannot wait to get my CS Tele in my hands again...

Aye it's a rabbit hole. I refer you back to the Andrew of 2018/19, who rightly spoke of the power of digital.

I think I'm temporarily out of the "need" to buy new stuff. Got my HX Effects, a Vertex Steel String and an EHX Freeze, with a Roland Blues Cube. Also got a Katana Air which was a waste of money. I would love a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, but I cannot justify it for an amp that will never leave the house. 

I'm back getting lessons again which I'm really enjoying, and that's keeping me away from looking at new gear. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Aye it's a rabbit hole. I refer you back to the Andrew of 2018/19, who rightly spoke of the power of digital.

I think I'm temporarily out of the "need" to buy new stuff. Got my HX Effects, a Vertex Steel String and an EHX Freeze, with a Roland Blues Cube. Also got a Katana Air which was a waste of money. I would love a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, but I cannot justify it for an amp that will never leave the house. 

I'm back getting lessons again which I'm really enjoying, and that's keeping me away from looking at new gear. 

He was a wiser man than I.

i did lessons all last year and some of this, which was great. Will be getting a jam band together in a month or two which is the next big thing to challenge me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've given myself a problem stepping away from the helix to regular amps and effects. I don't have enough money for all the things I want. :razz: 

Borrowing some stuff of a mate while hes away working so I have a tubscreamer, flashback delay and the fender marine layer off him at the moment.

Also bought a Behringer VD400 based on the JHS, analogue delay for £25, can't complain.

Also finally getting my two stored guitars in the UK sent out here after two years. I cannot wait to get my CS Tele in my hands again...

Being an "analogue" pedal builder I probably shouldn't say this but digital stuff these days really impresses me. We've come a long way from the old Line 6 Spiders and Pods, Korg Tonemasters (or was it toneworks?) and those early cheap plastic zoom multieffects boxes. Even saying that, it was still possible to dial in somewhat usable tones with those 20 year old things if you spent enough time getting to know them.

The Helix is a great bit of kit but personally I'm just too old and set in my ways to get creative with stuff like that. I could easily spend several hours playing around with different settings and getting lost in the menus without actually playing much guitar at all. 

I can't help but feel that half of the complaints guitar players make about their gear (be it digital, behringer stuff or whatever) stem from misunderstanding what it's meant to do. 

A JTM45 or blackface will never sound like a mesa, and a Kemper (with the right profiles) can totally nail whatever sound your after but won't necessarily feel or respond like the amp your modelling... 

Anyway excuse the rant, I'm gonna cut this weird rant short since I've just learned EVH just passed. Rest in Peace Eddie. 

• Like 1

I suppose it’s down to the individual & it’s pointless arguing about it.

Some fellas can get an epic sound from a solid state amp, sometimes you’ll be tricked into think a modelling amp is the real thing...whatever. 

Everyone has their preference. You’ve just got to hope people grow up and buy a decent valve amp.

• Haha 3

I've no complaints at all about what sounds I was able to get out of my Helix tbh, it was just time for a switch up, there is something a bit more enticing about cranking the volume or changing things on an amp head than there is about tweaking the little knobs on the Helix or sliders on my laptop. The Victory is amazing me so far, sounds and looks and feel are all on point, shame my Kraken is currently faulty :( getting that sorted soon though.

That said I can definitely see a HX stomp coming back into my life at some point, to bridge the gaps where I don't have something else. 

Dave Simpson is a good example of sounding great through "mediocre" gear. Sort of wish I liked his videos as he's a really good player but he's not for me.

On the other end of the spectrum, as much as I like Andertons and That Pedal Show some of the cork sniffing they get into would put Oz Clarke to shame and I can't stand those episodes.

That Pedal Show is like a parody. Their fucking insistence that everything has to be period correct. Lads, do you not think people have got better at making guitars since then? Do you want to drive a car with suspension from the 50s too? 

I got a Mastery bridge for my tele. It is markedly better than the standard tele bridge. There are only two screws talking all the downward pressure from the strings versus 3 on a standard tele bridge. The increase in resonance is undeniable, you can feel it in the guitar body. These dickheads wouldn't entertain it cos it doesn't look like it came from the 50s.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

You’ve just got to hope people grow up and buy a decent valve amp.

Haha. I fought with loads of amp over the years until I got a jtm. It does everything I could ever with the exception of "bedroom" volume (but then, nobody really wants to play quiet and the times where it's necessary an old-school tube amp is a poor choice). 

Horses for courses. For every guy who wants a kemper there's a another who just wants an amp with one knob labelled "awesome". Tone not quite on the money? Turn up the awesome. 

Edited by Blastronaut

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I suppose it’s down to the individual & it’s pointless arguing about it.

Some fellas can get an epic sound from a solid state amp, sometimes you’ll be tricked into think a modelling amp is the real thing...whatever. 

Everyone has their preference. You’ve just got to hope people grow up and buy a decent valve amp.

:lol: Given the choice between a blues junior and a Tonemaster for twice the price, I would buy the latter cos I can't play a blues junior at the volumes that it wants to be played at. 

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've no complaints at all about what sounds I was able to get out of my Helix tbh, it was just time for a switch up, there is something a bit more enticing about cranking the volume or changing things on an amp head than there is about tweaking the little knobs on the Helix or sliders on my laptop. The Victory is amazing me so far, sounds and looks and feel are all on point, shame my Kraken is currently faulty :( getting that sorted soon though.

That said I can definitely see a HX stomp coming back into my life at some point, to bridge the gaps where I don't have something else. 

Dave Simpson is a good example of sounding great through "mediocre" gear. Sort of wish I liked his videos as he's a really good player but he's not for me.

On the other end of the spectrum, as much as I like Andertons and That Pedal Show some of the cork sniffing they get into would put Oz Clarke to shame and I can't stand those episodes.

Not being funny but Andrew you are in the land of Hotcakes and Prunes and Custard, you so need to get yourself one or both.

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: Given the choice between a blues junior and a Tonemaster for twice the price, I would buy the latter cos I can't play a blues junior at the volumes that it wants to be played at. 

Plus in this day and age of switchable wattage amps there is no excuse (bar financial limits) not to have an amp that that suits you that can be both bedroom friendly and gigable.
I had a Marshall 100w plexi head and box back when I was playing live in the late 80s/90s and tbh as brilliant as it sounded most pubs/clubs cannot cope with something that size off stage unless you are playing BIG venues and I can imagine in this day and age of noise limits for venues.

I suppose there’s a lot more options for valve amps these days, you can vary from 1w to 30w on one of the new oranges.

That’s a perfect stage amp for 9 out of 10 bands and a great amp to use in the home.

In fairness my 30w Orange performs fine at lower volumes as Ill use a pedal board through it anyway, obviously get some decent volume on it and it’s a different beast altogether but that doesn’t mean it has to be too loud for the home. 

I think stacks and half stacks are completely unnecessary these days and the sound guy will treat you like the bellend you are. 

He’s going to stick a little microphone on the side of that cab and you’ll be no different to a person playing a combo he didn’t need 4 people to carry.

9 hours ago, sammynb said:

Not being funny but Andrew you are in the land of Hotcakes and Prunes and Custard, you so need to get yourself one or both.

If I'm being honest I have absolutely no idea what this means.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I suppose there’s a lot more options for valve amps these days, you can vary from 1w to 30w on one of the new oranges.

That’s a perfect stage amp for 9 out of 10 bands and a great amp to use in the home.

In fairness my 30w Orange performs fine at lower volumes as Ill use a pedal board through it anyway, obviously get some decent volume on it and it’s a different beast altogether but that doesn’t mean it has to be too loud for the home. 

I think stacks and half stacks are completely unnecessary these days and the sound guy will treat you like the bellend you are. 

He’s going to stick a little microphone on the side of that cab and you’ll be no different to a person playing a combo he didn’t need 4 people to carry.

The Sheriff doesn't have a control for variable power on the back like some do, but it has a lower power cab output that is 0.3w. Pretty much all I use at home and having that turned up I can still definitely be heard out on the street and next door.

I have it running through a borrowed 412 at the moment and as fun as that is, it is extremely unpractical and a bit ridiculous looking since the head is so small :razz: I'll grab a vertical 212 fairly soon and be done with that. 

I once had a 4x12 and the amount of air it shifted was utterly ridiculous. I can’t remember what the head was but it doesn’t seem to matter. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

If I'm being honest I have absolutely no idea what this means.

A hotcake is an overdrive and a Prunes and Custard is a harmonic generator made by Crowther Audio.

Paul Crowther was the drummer in Splitz Enz, one of NZ's biggest bands and he and his pedals are legends, also rare-ish.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/5_Boutique_Stompbox_Builders_You_Should_Know?page=5

https://signalchain.com.au/collections/crowther-audio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emlyn_Crowther

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sammynb said:

A hotcake is an overdrive and a Prunes and Custard is a harmonic generator made by Crowther Audio.

Paul Crowther was the drummer in Splitz Enz, one of NZ's biggest bands and he and his pedals are legends, also rare-ish.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/5_Boutique_Stompbox_Builders_You_Should_Know?page=5

https://signalchain.com.au/collections/crowther-audio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emlyn_Crowther

Hm, $290, thats not bad.

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

I legit can’t be arsed to post a picture of my rig across three platforms. :lol: 

Plus I have too many rigs.

It’s an “or” on the platforms tbf

Oh fair I might tweet something :lol: 

I’ve basically got a whole line of amps on one side of my living room, sadly I had to replace the guitar rack with a desk for home working.

Ill put something together or maybe just use an old photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finally getting my UK guitars picked up and shipped out here. Cue me having kittens every day for the next 3 or 4 weeks while my CS Tele is in the hands of international couriers.

Has anyone had a look at 5 watt worlds youtube channel? the short histories are really enjoyable.

I couldn’t cope with that :lol: 

If probably leave my main two at home & ship a few different ones out. The thought of my Les Paul being at the hands of delivery people all around the world makes me ill!

Ill check the channel out, though my 5W Is the least functional amp I have. It’s so loud it’s unreal. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I couldn’t cope with that :lol: 

If probably leave my main two at home & ship a few different ones out. The thought of my Les Paul being at the hands of delivery people all around the world makes me ill!

Ill check the channel out, though my 5W Is the least functional amp I have. It’s so loud it’s unreal. 

I've had two guitars and some other stuff shipped out here over the last couple of years and nothing has broken or gone missing, so I am confident enough to try it.

HEAVILY insured.

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Finally finally getting my UK guitars picked up and shipped out here. Cue me having kittens every day for the next 3 or 4 weeks while my CS Tele is in the hands of international couriers.

Has anyone had a look at 5 watt worlds youtube channel? the short histories are really enjoyable.

Aye I've watched a bunch of his stuff. He's heading the digital route as well based on his latest Line 6 outings.