The Guitar Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Ian Watkins had the same model.

I bet you've snapped a few of them since moving to the South Coast. 

Looks like a sailor’s banjo    

Posted Images

Nice one lads. I’ll relay this back to him. 

Worst comes to worst it’ll look cool on the office wall or one of his bairns will eventually pick it up.

My total expense on the guitar was £36 and some manual labour so I’m happy to see it in a good home.

*shameless plug warning*

I was doing a batch of Scottish old-firm themed pedals the other week and threw this together on a whim since I already had the graphic from the last time. Its a straight up JHS Angry Charlie/MI Audio Crunch Box clone (same circuit, one extra component in the JHS that shaves off some of the highs. Switch underneath the backplate to select between both modes. I prefer the brighter Crunch Box myself). 

Cheers. 

Ebay link

IMG_20201111_122053.jpg

I've always found epiphones quite uninspiring, I honestly don't know what they could make/offer that would really interest me.

Complete opposite of Squier who seem to mix the lineup in an interesting way quite frequently .

Considering the sheer number of good guitars in the 500-1000 price range now and that Epiphones entire line is just "cheaper Gibson" when Gibsons themselves are massively overpriced and also not particularly interesting, whats the point?

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (the SG with 3 pickups) and it’s an epic guitar but I’ve had it since was 14 and it was £400 then. I had a 339 which was a lovely guitar, but again it was dear. 

I see some Epis that look decent and then I see the price and it’s fairly pointless. The Bonamassa ones look great but they’re the best part of a grand. It’s crackers. 

"inspired by Gibson" as if nobody already knew. 

I dont mind epiphones and have played plenty decent ones but this is pretty lazy marketing. I guess they've been looking a legal way to get the Gibson name on there. Squire have had a subtle "licensed by fender" on a most of their gear but this is more akin to them calling the Classic Vibe range "it's basically A Fender". 

Edited by Blastronaut
  • 2 weeks later...

Been mulling it over for a bit and have pulled the trigger on an HX Stomp and a Powercab Plus. I've already got an HX Effects and was watching someone on YouTube running the two together, with the Stomp doing amp modelling in the loop of the FX, allowing you to control the Stomp via the footswitches on the FX over Midi. 

Anyway, let's see how it works. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Been mulling it over for a bit and have pulled the trigger on an HX Stomp and a Powercab Plus. I've already got an HX Effects and was watching someone on YouTube running the two together, with the Stomp doing amp modelling in the loop of the FX, allowing you to control the Stomp via the footswitches on the FX over Midi. 

Anyway, let's see how it works. 

Thats pretty cool, not tempted to go for a full Helix at that point?

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thats pretty cool, not tempted to go for a full Helix at that point?

It was the fact that I already had the HX FX to start with that stopped me, really. £400 gets me the Stomp vs £1200 or whatever it is for full Helix. I could obviously have then sold my FX but would still have been out of pocket.

Between the two units I should (I think) be able to divvy up the DSP enough to do anything that I would do with a full Helix (not saying its as powerful, just that it's as powerful as it needs to be for a fuckwit like me). The Powercab looks easy enough to just plug and play as well, which was appealing. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a new E.P out on...I think Tuesday. 

I’ll fire up a link, most of its songwriting bollocks which I’m trying to get better at however there’s one guitar solo I’m proud of so I’ll stick it here in the guitar thread! 

Also I have a new musical partner so I can finally move away from being wank at solo work and actually make some BANGERS....by which I mean quiet folk songs 

• Like 2

there you go :lol: 

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/thomaskeith/voluntary-excess

Huge thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes, it’s greatly appreciated, especially in this year.

I decided to release a record on my birthday, like Bowie used to do & I’ll try and keep it up. 

There’s 5 new songs and, the best experience is mixed for headphones. For this record I play guitar, bass, drums & some weird organ thing. So the recording approach was a little different but it’s all experience. 

I was delighted to have Danielle Lewis along to lend their wonderful vocals to the first track & we’ll be working a lot more together in future which thankfully will band work and not solo work! 

It’s currently available on Apple Music, ITunes & Spotify, though will be released through every major platform soon.

Link - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/thomaskeith/voluntary-excess

Tracks - 

Lost With You (Origami Class) (Ft Dan Lewis)

Voluntary Excess 

Air Rifle (Lo-Fi)

Dirt

Luna 

Some inspiration....

LR “Oh, great by me” 

GJ : Yeah? Mine were alright, wasn't my best one but who cares?

LR “That's the spirit”

That’s the end of my favourite Cribs song. So onwards and upwards....

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...