The Guitar Thread

Tom

Ah sweet dude, had a browse of that site. How's the business with weddings/functions going? I'm subscribed to this guy on youtube -

- who does free lessons (he's good like, went to berklee, professional musician since) he mentioned in a video one of his main sources of income is playing weddings, I presume he makes more from teaching.

I've browsed him before, I look at quite a few: Justin Guitar, the bald canadian I posted, and I have bought several DVD lessons from Stefan Grossman's guitar shop, and other DVDs, 'Eric Johnson's Hot Licks' was a very good one. Good stuff and worth it if you can't afford regular lessons, they may seem expensive but compared to what you'd pay for that kind of tuition it's not much at all.

I also learn some classical pieces from this site, http://www.classtab.org/ all the transcriptions are accurate and because of my woeful reading ability and trascribing skills compared to the pieces I play I end up just using the TAB. I need to get my theory skills up to par with my playing but it's a time/cost/work issue as I dunno if I can afford lessons atm.

Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock I and II are both excellent, and Frank Gambale's Chops Builder is great for technique (there's a bit of everything) and stamina. I think you can get the whole of Intense Rock II on youtube if you're cheap, but its watching the first one beforehand.

Needless to say, I didn't get that Les Paul clone, as the bidding war started whilst I was offline, and it went for more than I can afford (bet you were all in for it). I have another option anyway, and I doubt you'd be interested, as it really is a bargain bin deal.

Just to let you know, I went to Costco, and there is a Fender Stratocaster and a little amp for £140. At least there was one in the new branch in Coventry.

sounds like the squier starter kit, you really can't go wrong with that to be honest , some looking around might save you £10 on it but thats perfect for what you're after

Fancy lending me £140 then??! :lol:

I didn't see any Squire branding on the box, but you're probably right. I presume Squire and Epiphone are the Fender/Gibson cheapo brands, and they are not as good as the actual Les Paul or Stratocaster

Fancy lending me £140 then??! :lol:

I didn't see any Squire branding on the box, but you're probably right. I presume Squire and Epiphone are the Fender/Gibson cheapo brands, and they are not as good as the actual Les Paul or Stratocaster

Not always the case...my first leccy guitar was a Japanese Squire Strat and it was much better than my current Fender Strat. I ended up selling it after about 5 years for more than it retailed at and it would still fetch over a couple hundred quid. Wish I had kept it!

Sometimes the build of a cheap guitar can be amazing, you just might need to replace a few bits of cheap hardware like machine heads or trem. Play it first, then decide if it's good. Don't just trust in a name.

If you have the capacity to save for a Studio you have the capacity to save for a proper one. Don't waste your money, get a proper Les Paul that will last you for life for a few hundred quid more. Don't break your back to buy a LP Studio you will sell in two years.

ive always had a soft spot for the studios though, I like the stripped down look of them

you have an LP dont you?

I've got a few guitars that cost several times what a Studio costs but it holds it's own no problem at all.

The pickups they use are the same as on the LP Customs which are even more than Standards. (490/498).

I bought mine from Bryan's shop in Newcastle and I felt like a kid bringing it home. :cry: It was my reward for giving up smoking.... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on cheap effects pedals and suchlike? I'm getting loads of Amazon vouchers for Christmas, so with what is left over from buying a guitar kit, I may be able to buy one.

I wouldn't have a clue what each one does, so descriptions would be appreciated.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice on cheap effects pedals and suchlike? I'm getting loads of Amazon vouchers for Christmas, so with what is left over from buying a guitar kit, I may be able to buy one.

I wouldn't have a clue what each one does, so descriptions would be appreciated.

What kind of stuff are you looking to play Billy? eg. heavy metal, rock, indie etc, etc.

This will get you started

A bit of metal, sort of rock stuff like The Who etc. I think I'll get a cheap Srat style set and see what it all sounds like. That's the problem-I like too many types of music, but something that sounds like Black Sabbath, The Who, Metallica etc. would be good. On a related note, when you add all the guitar effects etc. would each type of guitar sound different ie. would a Les Paul be different to a Strat even if you don't tinker with the pedals, knobs and buttons?

Of course, I'd have to be able to play the thing too, so I have no delusions of all sorts of Matt Bellamy madness happening any time soon.

Looks like you need an electrician to set that up. And a load of cash. I guess this all appeals to me as a lot of it is theoretical (A+B+C=This kind of sound is produced). Anyhow thanks for the patience.

Thing is not everyone is Dave Grohl.

Go have a look for Pete Townsend's rig or Jimmy Page. It's also good to know what ia a good brand pedal and cheap shite.

A bit of metal, sort of rock stuff like The Who etc. I think I'll get a cheap Srat style set and see what it all sounds like. That's the problem-I like too many types of music, but something that sounds like Black Sabbath, The Who, Metallica etc. would be good. On a related note, when you add all the guitar effects etc. would each type of guitar sound different ie. would a Les Paul be different to a Strat even if you don't tinker with the pedals, knobs and buttons?

Of course, I'd have to be able to play the thing too, so I have no delusions of all sorts of Matt Bellamy madness happening any time soon.

well, if youre into metal then something with a humbucker in the bridge would be good as you'll get the gain and tone you require from that. maybe a strat (or similar) with humbucker/single coil/single coil arrangement perhaps? as for pedals, get yourself a Boss DS1. It's a great beginners pedal with gain settings from full on, face melting distortion back down to nice, just slightly driven overdrive. Have a check on youtube to get some sound clips, theres loads on there.

Hope this helps!

:angry: