The Guitar Thread

Tom

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

https://shop.thegigrig.com/power-base-pack-1/

https://shop.thegigrig.com/isolator/

I win the prize for doing it cheaper! It comes with all the power cables that g to your pedals too, and they can be cut to the exact length you need, so it'll be clean and neat. 

You can even select to have it with an Aussie plug. 

ooooo now that is interesting, how many outputs does that add up to? 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

ooooo now that is interesting, how many outputs does that add up to? 

Your distributor has 6 outputs and the isolator has 4.

You would have to use one of your distributor outputs to power your isolator, which would leave you with 5 outputs on the distributor and still the 4 on your isolator.

My understanding is that you can power both large and small power requirement devices from the distributor, but only the smaller 9v type normal pedals from the isolator 

The gigrig also does a service where you tell them what you're looking to power and they provide you with the details and wiring requirements so you don't buy stuff you don't need. I think it's a tenner or something if you wanted to be certain before buying. 

When you look at the picture on the site, each pair of black and white tabs is one output. You just cut the wires to length, feed the ends into those ports, push the tabs down, and that's you connected. 

35 minutes ago, Tom said:

What’s the difference between a distributor and an isolator?

Sorry, missed this. The distributor is the one with 6 x 5000mA outputs. The isolator takes a charge from the distributor but can only power normal pedal type things itself. 

So I power my HX Effects and Stomp direct from the distributor, but my Ditto and Freeze would only need power from the isolator, albeit the isolator gets its power from the distributor. 

The main strength of it is that if you've got one distributor you can power up to 6 isolators, which allows you to power up to 24 pedals. It's modular so you can add/take away as needed. 

Obviously the cost adds up buying isolators at 50 quid a pop, but if you've got that many pedals on your board you're probably fucking loaded and an idiot anyway. :lol:

• Haha 1

Yeh you do see these people, mostly sponsored by Earthquaker who have about 50 pedals on their board. :lol: 

and then we they start playing they should fairly average...

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Lots of expensive gear to sound fairly average though ;) 

And definitely an idiot

I can’t remember the last time I heard you play tbh. 

Besides, so long as your enjoying it who gives a fuck? 

For me the most important thing is to play with other people (which you can’t do now I appreciate) because you’ll find everyone has something to bring to the table & more often than not the dickhead shredding like a nonce is public enemy no 1.

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

For me the most important thing is to play with other people (which you can’t do now I appreciate) because you’ll find everyone has something to bring to the table & more often than not the dickhead shredding like a nonce is public enemy no 1.

Ah man thats been such a difference for me, hadn't done it for years and years and then started playing with a mate of mine who plays guitar and drums once lockdown ended here. Its been an absolute revelation, even if we mostly just jam metallica songs.

On 04/02/2021 at 23:27, Tom said:

I really miss playing with other musicians. I can't even blame covid restrictions either, had to pack it in a few years ago, young family and all that.

Last bunch I was involved with had a great setup, totally free practice space in the rarely used function room of a local boozer. Decent wee pub too. Bit of a dive and had its fair share of bellends but had a dartboard, good Guinness, pool table and showed the horse racing. Really hope that place survives all this. Not just because I still dream about hanging around a boozer all day and jamming between pints, but we've lost too many of the pubs down that way already.

On 04/02/2021 at 00:51, Andrew said:

If you want to find something else that can do that job for less by my guest.

Honestly never meant to sound dickish with that earlier comment. The anasounds stuff I've seen looks decent (albeit a bit gimmicky but I'm in no place to talk about gimmicks) but throwing that kinda cash at a power supply is just alien to me. If a second or third mains socket wasnt an option I'd sooner find a way to wire up an old car battery in an empty speaker cabinet than open my wallet. 

Yeh I like it but I need some time playing just the delay by itself and the same with the reverb! To figure out my preferred sounds. 

Either way the delay was £17.50 and sounds really good so far. You can’t go wrong. 

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

07BEEF16-8B34-4016-BD58-3A5F04DB7903.jpegHere’s MKII. 

Massively impressed with the Behringer Wah, but need to get used to the Delay & Reverb.

Is the wah the Hellbabe? I nearly bought one a few years ago but ended up just getting another second hand CryBaby. 

Looks interesting on paper (optical?) and the behringer pedals I've played have all sounded fine, only really negatives being the plastic enclosures. 

I had a Boss DD6 and never got on with it, probably close to being the same pedal as that delay. Too many options for a simpleton like me. I'm much more at home with something like the Carbon Copy.