The Guitar Thread

Tom

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Fair :lol:

I’ve been on the verge of buying a Mira several times and I regret not doing it. They’ve started making them in...somewhere that’s not USA now & that’s took a few hundred off the price and presumably not the quality. 

They leave most brands behind for pickup research/development. They’re constantly on with it. 

I’d probably be leaning towards a custom 24 but not for a while. I’d be after a proper piece of furniture tbh :lol: 

The S2 range is all made in the main factory in the USA and is a decent discount on their main stuff. They use the import hardware though, so the pickups and bridge are made in Korea or Indonesia. They're still PRS design though and tbf the bridge is probably 3D printed these days anyway, so who cares where the printer sits. 

I like the look of the Vela as well. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Ive been playing with balaguers configurator a bit the last couple of days.

Made some right freaks :razz:

I do like the look idea of some though, and the price is tempting.

Guitar Guitar have just sent out an email saying theyre stocking these now. I don't know if that's an entirely new thing but they look interesting. 

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Nice looking guitar. 

I must officially be middle aged now cos I'm very tempted by a PRS. The guitar equivalent of @ewerkand his Merc. 

Nice guitars like but Ive long been affected by this weird involuntary reaction whenever someone mentions them. Similar to the reaction I had that time my landlord mentioned possibly putting up the rent in the same breath as saying he'd bought a new Audi R8. 

@Tom could just grab a cheap cab sim pedal with a headphone out to stick at the end of your board? If you want something more portable and not tied to your pedalboard those Vox Amplug things are quite handy for just wandering about the house with headphones. 

• Like 1

£29!?! Buy it.

In front of clean or a but of amp drive, especially with a strat its phenomenal.

Id actually do a clip for you but im moving tomorrow and all my gears packed! 

Demo's sound alright but I'll stick with my Zendrive clones. Can't match these for price but have got one listed right now if anyone's really after a Dumble in a box. 

Ebay Zendrive

Good luck with the flitting, don't envy you in the slightest. Fucking nightmare moving house at the best of times, never mind in the middle of a pandemic. 

Edited by Blastronaut

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

£29!?! Buy it.

In front of clean or a but of amp drive, especially with a strat its phenomenal.

Id actually do a clip for you but im moving tomorrow and all my gears packed! 

Ordered :lol: 

Lord knows when they’ll be available but I don’t think I can go wrong for £29.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Demo's sound alright but I'll stick with my Zendrive clones. Can't match these for price but have got one listed right now if anyone's really after a Dumble in a box. 

Ebay Zendrive

Good luck with the flitting, don't envy you in the slightest. Fucking nightmare moving house at the best of times, never mind in the middle of a pandemic. 

Thanks, no pandemic to speak of here tbf. Lifes about as normal as it can be. 

I've got a Vertex Steel String, which that fucking bellend Mason Marangella claimed the lads at Nux had cloned. They hadn't. I've heard that pedal is good though. 

This lad demoing it here is worth a subscribe. Really good player. 

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Ebay Zendrive

What's the story with this pedal mate? Is this one of yours that you've made? 

I can see the labels for drive, tone and level, but what's the 4th knob do? 

Edited by Gemmill

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

What's the story with this pedal mate? Is this one of yours that you've made? 

Yeah man. It's probably the about the 20th Zendrive Clone I've made over the years. I used to just do amp repairs and custom pedal builds locally as a side gig but that all died on its arse when the music scene shut down. I'm reduced to punting random speculative stuff on ebay and reverb until gigs start happening again and the tech work picks up. 

I only ended up here to flog a Newcastle themed pedal I'd made for a friend of a friend who vanished off the face of the planet when the pubs shut. Surprised I haven't outstayed my welcome yet tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’ve just watched the Vertex video. What a little bitch :lol: 

Its a £29 pedal ffs, if you’re charging £140 you should be able to dictate the argument. 

£30 is probably fair for something like this thats getting mass produced. I'll level with you, none of the sought after and supposedly "boutique" analogue pedals on the market that I've cloned are even close to £15 in parts. Could easily half that if you're building a few hundred at a time. 

10 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Yeah man. It's probably the about the 20th Zendrive Clone I've made over the years. I used to just do amp repairs and custom pedal builds locally as a side gig but that all died on its arse when the music scene shut down. I'm reduced to punting random speculative stuff on ebay and reverb until gigs start happening again and the tech work picks up. 

I only ended up here to flog a Newcastle themed pedal I'd made for a friend of a friend who vanished off the face of the planet when the pubs shut. Surprised I haven't outstayed my welcome yet tbh. 

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how do you find out the original circuit to be able to clone something like this?

I'm not asking these questions to be a bellend btw, I'm actually quite interested in the pedal. The original is going for some wild prices!

Trying to come up with a reason not to get myself a Keeley Dark Side for myself for my birthday...not come up with one so far :razz: Think I'll keep it that way

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

£30 is probably fair for something like this thats getting mass produced. I'll level with you, none of the sought after and supposedly "boutique" analogue pedals on the market that I've cloned are even close to £15 in parts. Could easily half that if you're building a few hundred at a time. 

Yeh absolutely. I’ll be honest it’s not something I think about.

I suppose I’m firmly on the consumer side of the fence :lol: 

37 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Trying to come up with a reason not to get myself a Keeley Dark Side for myself for my birthday...not come up with one so far :razz: Think I'll keep it that way

I had one and sold it after about 18 months.

The combination of the Dark Side & 30ms Doubletracker was unbelievable, especially in stereo. 

The fuzz sounds on the dark side are unreal mind.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

I had one and sold it after about 18 months.

The combination of the Dark Side & 30ms Doubletracker was unbelievable, especially in stereo. 

The fuzz sounds on the dark side are unreal mind.

I thought you'd had one.

Glad to get a good review.

41 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but how do you find out the original circuit to be able to clone something like this?

I'm not asking these questions to be a bellend btw, I'm actually quite interested in the pedal. The original is going for some wild prices!

No worries. Theres a whole scene of eggheads who literally trace these circuits from photographs of the guts of the original pedals, usually to try to call these "boutique" cunts out. There's no black magic, it's all 60 odd year old tech and the schematics for the original circuits are widely available. 

99% of the "boutique" analogue pedal scene is honestly just people modifying already tried and true circuits. Few examples, the D.A.M Meathead is literally just a slightly tweaked clone of the old Coloursound One Knob Fuzz, the original JHS Angry Charlie was traced and "borrowed" from a small time Aussie fella (even Josh Scott himself would tell you that, just added another capacitor to shave off some high end). Robert Keeley made a name for himself modding Boss and Ibanez pedals, his own pedals aren't all that far removed.

Vast majority of it is nowhere near worth a few hundred quid. The Zendrive least of all. Probably barely a tenner in parts. 

Just now, Andrew said:

I thought you'd had one.

Glad to get a good review.

Yeh, it’s 10/10 tbh & if you don’t like it you can sell it and won’t lose much. 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh, it’s 10/10 tbh & if you don’t like it you can sell it and won’t lose much. 

Especially here, its $100 cheaper to buy and bring in from Pedal Empire in Aus than it is to buy it in a shop here. Might try to talk them down on it though so I can have it a little quicker before I buy online.