The Guitar Thread

Tom

17 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I enjoyed when this @Blastronautkid sauntered into the thread mid-orgasm and told you all that your various expensive pedals were assembled for less than a tenner. More contributions please mate

You have actually been following the chat in this thread? Wow, I'm impressed 

• Haha 2

Oooh nice. I like that, it’s a shame it doesn’t do Bluetooth for headphones but that’s being picky as it seems to sound great.

A little bit expensive but it sounds canny mind. Not sure if I want a speaker option too mind 🤔

Edit - was Pete pissed there? He’s normally spot on. :lol: 

On 14/02/2021 at 19:19, TheGingerQuiff said:

I enjoyed when this @Blastronautkid sauntered into the thread mid-orgasm and told you all that your various expensive pedals were assembled for less than a tenner. More contributions please mate

Tbf most of the chat I've seen here is around more modern stuff. Youse would've heard a lot more from me if you were lusting after stuff like the analogman pedals. Nothing wrong with them and he knows his stuff but just rips the utter piss with his prices. £200 quid base price, DC power sockets and a wee LED to tell you whether it's on or off are fucking optional extras at £20 a pop. Then the cunts got the cheek to stamp the name of a 10p transistor on the front to give off the impression that it made with rare and expensive parts. But hey, this stuff is only worth what folk are willing to pay for it.

Anyway, rant over. Honestly dunno why I focused all that at Mike "analogman" Piera, he's far from the worst offender. 

On 14/02/2021 at 19:18, Tom said:

I bet Gemmill has his heart connected to his Helix Stomp, Blastro is a mad scientist building pedals out of plutonium...

Andrew, well you’re left handed mate. ;) 

Sammy.....I bet Sammy knows a thing or two.

Thankfully the helix looks a bit cumbersome to be turned into a pacemaker. Line6 punting medical gear sounds like the start of a Black Mirror episode. "if your Line6 life support machine freezes or glitches, turn it off and remove the power source for 3 three minutes, then reboot while pressing the tap tempo button in time with the hi-hat from Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue" 

5 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Tbf most of the chat I've seen here is around more modern stuff. Youse would've heard a lot more from me if you were lusting after stuff like the analogman pedals. Nothing wrong with them and he knows his stuff but just rips the utter piss with his prices. £200 quid base price, DC power sockets and a wee LED to tell you whether it's on or off are fucking optional extras at £20 a pop. Then the cunts got the cheek to stamp the name of a 10p transistor on the front to give off the impression that it made with rare and expensive parts. But hey, this stuff is only worth what folk are willing to pay for it.

Did you see the JHS video where he takes you through all the Behringer pedals that are sonically identical to vintage pedals people are paying £300 + for? :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Did you see the JHS video where he takes you through all the Behringer pedals that are sonically identical to vintage pedals people are paying £300 + for? :lol: 

Haven't seen that but I wouldn't doubt it for a second. Can't patent or copyright a schematic so a lot of these big name pedals are literal exact clones of other stuff, no legal issues at all. Behringer have the advantage owning a fuckton of manufacturing plants that make semiconductors and Belton Bricks, so it's no surprise they can massively undercut some of the more respected brand names. I like Josh from what I've seen of him, seems quite happy to admit nothing he sells is new or original and most of this shit was childsplay even back in the 70s.

Absolutely overjoyed to hear that the pedal that the two corksniffers on That Pedal Show obsess about (the KoT) is basically a pisstake. 

The brass neck on these blokes designing them as well. Isn't there like a two year waiting list for the King of Tone? I mean I guess it's understandable, if you can somehow become the builder of something wildly sought after, milk it if you can, but when you hear the stuff Blastronaut is saying you can't help but feel they're ripping the piss out of people. 

27 minutes ago, Tom said:

Check it out. 

Tbh I bought three and I wasn’t bothered about the plastic casing by the time I’d plugged it in & stuck it on the board.

I'll give it a watch! Think they own coolaudio who make most of the BB chips you'll find in a lot of reverb and delay pedals. 

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Absolutely overjoyed to hear that the pedal that the two corksniffers on That Pedal Show obsess about (the KoT) is basically a pisstake. 

The brass neck on these blokes designing them as well. Isn't there like a two year waiting list for the King of Tone? I mean I guess it's understandable, if you can somehow become the builder of something wildly sought after, milk it if you can, but when you hear the stuff Blastronaut is saying you can't help but feel they're ripping the piss out of people. 

It's two of their "Prince of tones" stacked in one box, and there's fuck all special about the PoT parts wise (but admittedly it does sound pretty good). Check out the cunts Instagram, he's prancing around playing tennis and flying around dirt tracks most of the time, doesnae even build the pedals himself these days. Two year waiting list is a con, just artificially creating demand. 

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

I spent £350 + on a Zvex Fuzz Factory 7.

Howay then @Blastronaut

Give me your worst :lol: 

Sorry man, dunno what revisions were made over the years but the most expensive conponents in the earlier versions of the fuzz factory are the control 5 pots, barely 50p each. Under the hood theres basically just three Silicon transistors worth a few pence each. 

Cool pedals though and from what I gather Zachary is a decent bloke who'll give you a hefty discount if your names J Mascis. 

(quick edit to add:) seems I was wrong, two of the three transistors are old-school germanium rather than silicon. Add £2 to my whatever my previous estimate was.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Well I do love the sound of it & I suppose I could easily get £350+ second hand. It’s supposed to be ex Russian military vintage transistors or whatever :lol:

CC @TheGingerQuiff

I know a few folk who can sort you out with cheap Russian trannys if that's what you're into man. For £350 you might need a 7 seater.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Thankfully the helix looks a bit cumbersome to be turned into a pacemaker. 

Gemmill has one of those also, so best not encourage Quiff's mockery!

9 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I know a few folk who can sort you out with cheap Russian trannys if that's what you're into man. For £350 you might need a 7 seater.

TBF that's more Quiff's thing than guitars.

Best value pedal I've ever bought was made by....Blastronaut.

I'd be happy if I still had all the Boss pedals I had back in the 80s but some cunt nicked them all and years later when I wanted to buy another distortion/feedbacker they have become a bit of a collectors item, ffs, they couldn't give them away when they were first released.

11 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

But hey, this stuff is only worth what folk are willing to pay for it.

And this is how the world goes round.

• Like 1

Clearly had a few too many drinks last night, no offense intended with any of that. 

My sober take on those pedals: the King/Prince of Tone is just a modified Bluesbreaker that needlessly uses somewhat hard to source diodes for clipping the signal. If they do sound any different from the ones in the Bluesbreaker it'll be barely perceivable. They do have a very slightly different threshold for clipping the signal but it's barely worth mentioning. My bet is he scored a bunch of them on the cheap and decided to throw them in whatever pedal he was making at the time, nominal change that can be used as marketing buzzwords. 

Those Germanium transistors @Tom was talking about will no doubt be legit, for whatever reason Russia kept on producing Germanium semiconductors long after the rest of the world moved on. And to be fair to Zvex and Analogman they can be a total ball-ache to sort through, since they drift off spec as they age and the data sheets are in Cyrillic. They're not all that rare or expensive though. 

The only thing I took exception to was the transphobia, other wise the streets are naturally  dangerous & opinionated for the guitar playing man. ;) 

Here’s the full bollocks from Zvex -

https://www.zvex.com/guitar-pedals/fuzz-factory-7-guitar-effects-pedal-rus

Tbh I bought it out of boredom in the first lockdown, it was a stupid amount of money to pay for a pedal but it made me happy & I’d get a decent return on it. 

I had a regular fuzz factory a while back which was £100 and I miss it like hell but I’m not sure I can have two FFs on the board.

Ah fuck yeah, was just regurgitating an overused joke in the pedal scene without really stopping to think about how it's a bit offensive. My bad, I'll remove that one from my repertoire. 

Hey as far as the pedal goes, it's only a waste of cash if it sucks, and like you say it'll hold its value better than a lot of stuff in the guitar world. Didn't realise this was a 7 knob version so there's something else I was wrong about. Looks pretty cool and with all those options there must be some usable tones in there somewhere. 

But yeah that's some serious marketing guff on the Zvex page, but I suppose "featuring £2 worth of ancient parts from the old Soviet Union" doesn't have the same appeal.