The Guitar Thread

Tom

Keep encouraging him man. The apps are probably fine for tuning tbh, they only really shit the bed when there's a lot of background noise. 

Tom's probably right about the bar too, more hassle than they're worth until you know what you're doing.

Good to see new recruits coming through. None my four have taken any interest so far, to them its just one of dads sad nostalgic hobbies.

• Like 1

This is class, Fist. Has he got an amp? If not, and if you wanted something he could play with headphones, the Fender Mustang Micro is a nice little bit of kit for only about £90.

(it's not an amp, but here's a video so you get the idea) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gemmill said:

This is class, Fist. Has he got an amp? If not, and if you wanted something he could play with headphones, the Fender Mustang Micro is a nice little bit of kit for only about £90.

(it's not an amp, but here's a video so you get the idea) 

Cheers man, he got a little miniature Marshall with the guitar, that has a socket for headphones ( thank fuck), but if he keeps his interest up that looks like it might fall down the chimney at Christmas 👍

Those miniature Marshall stacks are cool and good fun and all that but those tiny speakers are headache inducing after 10 or 15 minutes. Same with the Pignose really. The speakers are essentially what the hifi world would call tweeters, just all high end and gets a bit fatiguing pretty quickly.

If you keep your eye on pawn shops or gumtree marketplace you should be able to score something basic with a 8-10" speaker for less than £20-40 that would be a bit more rewarding long term (for him like, not you or your neighbours). I'll gladly send down a st distortion pedal for the cost of postage to get him started if you go that route, not like I'm short of this stuff.

If you'd rather force him down the headphone route you can pick up guitar to USB adapters and have him plug into a laptop or iPad or whatever and run with "virtual" Amps and effects. Not how I would roll but I know a few guys that sold all their retro gear and do everything at home through a PC.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Thought you already had a Fuzz Factory?

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

Oh I do, I was on about the guitar :lol: 

Fuck sake you had me going there. I only scanned over that video with my usual Guinness and whisky induced glaze but thought for a second you were about to remortgage yer house for a pedal you already own.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

thought for a second you were about to remortgage yer house for a pedal you already own.

Tom is like that some days!

Gazza, I’ll second what Blastronaut said about mini amps, if you look around the gumtree/ebay/whatever is best locally for a secondhand Vox Pathfinder, you will get him something great sounding and cheap. Wait until he his older and has his own money for

him to fulfill the tube amp fetish he will inevitably develop.

Also happy to chip in with a couple of old pedals to get the fuzz monkey happening. Just send us a PM and we can chat.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Lads, no one wants to listen to their kid learn guitar at high volume. 

Aye :lol: 

There are loads of options for quiet practice and bedroom level learning that can turn into loud playing further down the line, just have to look for the right things, Katanas can do headphones to 100w with the flick of a switch and sound great.

@Monkeys Fist When hes looking to upgrade come back to us and we'll help you out :razz: 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Fuck sake you had me going there. I only scanned over that video with my usual Guinness and whisky induced glaze but thought for a second you were about to remortgage yer house for a pedal you already own.

Half tempted to go the other way and sell the expensive Fuzz Factory for the standard model which takes up less room on the board :lol: 

• Jaysus... 1

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Lads, no one wants to listen to their kid learn guitar at high volume. 

Dunno man, like I said I've got four. There's plenty moments where I've considered just trying to drown them out with feedback through a half-stack and just sitting down with a book.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Half tempted to go the other way and sell the expensive Fuzz Factory for the standard model which takes up less room on the board :lol: 

Makes sense like, maybe do it the other way around though. Buy the standard and send it back if you prefer the one you've already got. Otherwise, keep it and flip the expensive one. Avoids any potential for regret over selling something.

Yeh there’s actually a Ramones museum in Berlin I went to and they literally have some jeans and I wanted to test my new drum microphones, so obviously did in the midst of many cans. :D 

Ill continue being daft though, I’ve got nowt else on.

• Haha 1

When my nippers were little Mrs.F. had this app that played an annoying-as-almighty-fuck cartoon toothbrush singing some song about brushing their teeth for 2 minutes to get them to brush for that length of time. 
It near drove me insane every morning, until I realised Blitzkrieg Bop was 2 minutes long and they much preferred it. 

:lol: Punk toothbrushing rocks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1