The Guitar Thread

Tom

A

Video we made tonight. She's been playing drums all together for 2hrs all together so it is a bit scrappy but I think she's doing really well. The guitar and vocals might be a bit bad a times and I've no excuse :razz:

The vocals didn't record very well - on a phone - and I missed a verse but whatever we had some great fun. The songs were 'The Union forever' and 'I'm finding it harder to be a gentleman everyday'' both by the White Stripes.

Next time, we'll be moving onto some Nirvana :(

(We played the second song perfectly a couple of times but only recorded once with one take)

• 2 weeks later...

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

Just bought this second-hand Yamaha SG-500 today for £212.50 including flight case. Very good price I thought, and wondered if there was something wrong with it but aside from a couple of very small superficial scratches, its fine.

DSC00060.jpg

Not a guitar, but I also bought this Mahalo, electric-acoustic Telecaster shaped Ukelele.

• 1 month later...

That Les Paul looks fun!

Do we have any violin/viola/double bass/cello players on here by the way?

I'm tempted to get one and might need some advice!

• 2 months later...

Click for a decent sweep picking lesson.

My hands got a lot better - so I've been gradually picking up the guitar again and playing 10/20/30 minutes. This is a decent exercise to do - not 'orthodox' dickhead sweep picking like you'll see on youtube but something a little more melodic that sounds good fast or slow.

I've been playing them on the Les Paul which is not exactly the best guitar for such moves as the neck is like a baseball bat.

Good fun anyway.

If you get bored put some soul back into it rather than ''exercises'' I'm just trying to build up some more stamina.

Getting a new guitar for my 21st. Looking at a Yamaha Electro Acoustic in Black that they have at my local guitar shop. Just going to go down there and play around with all of them in the 250-350 quid price range and see which one I like the best, really, although some recommendations would be welcomed!

Tom, just watching that video you posted a couple of month back and your sister has canny natural timing considering she'd only been playing for a few hours. Is she still drumming? If she is, I'll try and remember a big list of songs that I used to put in a big iPod playlist when I was a few months into playing. May not be to her tastes but I tried to pick as many that could keep my stamina going (AC/DC), help me learn when to dial it back (some Neil Young, Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac, some slower folky stuff) and just go a bit mental at the end of practice (any Who and Warpigs) :lol:

If she's not any better at a range of stuff after 2 weeks of playing that list, I'll give you your money back.

We've give it a miss for a while, a couple of problems with my hand for me - then nearly breaking it & she's been doing college stuff.

She's off to Uni in a month or so. I think she's going to try and get a kit to take with her but we'll have to see as she's going through clearing - despite getting triple distinctions for her grades - which is a bit mad!

So if she's close she'll probably get one but if she's too far probably not, but yeh she was pretty good at it after no time at all I guess.

Well, if she's good and she enjoys it, could still keep it up as a hobby. I've got nowt spare I could give you like sadly since I use one of my spare hi-hats as a splash (a good idea to save money btw :lol: ) and I only have spare cymbals. If she can't take a full kit, floor tom, snare and a hi-hat will help her learn. Could turn the floor into a mini-bass if you get a pedal and set it on the floor. I basically learned by jumping in and being forced to play Fire and Whole Lotta Love in bands though so any basic rudiments, I'm shite.

Shite at explaining and teaching the rudiments, not doing them. I'm fucking mint

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Yeh she'll probably keep at it but I suppose if she's moving away it makes things hard to get any basic grounding but she's only young so I've no doubt she'll get there in the end.

Probably try & get something together for her to take.

Yeh she'll probably keep at it but I suppose if she's moving away it makes things hard to get any basic grounding but she's only young so I've no doubt she'll get there in the end.

Probably try & get something together for her to take.

One step away from a Toontastic super group tbh. She could be my replacement when the drugs do me in.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what a Rocker 30 will go for second hand?

I think I need something smaller as it's too loud for the house but I don't want to make a loss on it as that's not how I work.

• 3 weeks later...

I started trying to teach myself guitar 2 years ago, but had to stop due to training for work (which hopefully ends with my final exams week after next). I was borrowing an acoustic, but I've been offered a fender strat (think Mexican if makes a difference) plus small Marshall amp for £200. I don't have a great knowledge of guitars, but enough to appreciate it's a reasonable deal, but am I taking the piss by getting that as a first guitar and trying to teach myself on it? I was hoping to borrow one for a bit after my results to see whether I'd get on with it and like it enough to buy one, so not really sure what to do!

I started trying to teach myself guitar 2 years ago, but had to stop due to training for work (which hopefully ends with my final exams week after next). I was borrowing an acoustic, but I've been offered a fender strat (think Mexican if makes a difference) plus small Marshall amp for £200. I don't have a great knowledge of guitars, but enough to appreciate it's a reasonable deal, but am I taking the piss by getting that as a first guitar and trying to teach myself on it? I was hoping to borrow one for a bit after my results to see whether I'd get on with it and like it enough to buy one, so not really sure what to do!

Look at it from the pov that it'll be a guitar you can keep for a while, rather than feeling the need to instantly upgrade as you get a bit better. Rather than seeing it as too good for a starter.