Renaming of ground confirmed

Kid Dynamite

With the way things are going I could fully cope with having this shambles completely written off and replaced by a new club invented by the fans, like FC United of Manchester did when they got pissed off with Man Utd's owners. Funny thing is when they did that they weren't even halfway as messed about as we've been! I guess there's AFC Wimbledon as well.

Hmm, thinking about it I wonder what sort of revenues would be needed to start a new team and what league you'd have to start off in? I mean with the sort of following we have what sort of money would that bring in to run a team? There would be no reason you couldn't keep many of the iconic things about the club, I wonder what the status is of leasing St James Park off the council? Get a consortium of legends to back the club with a little cash to get it going and appoint someone half decent as manager, someone who's already made their money and would do it for the love of the club. Perhaps even reinvent the club as either Newcastle FC, in theory it could just be another part of the club's history, like when the two clubs merged to form one in 1892, it would be a reformation or continuation after a partial destruction by Ashley. What's left of the current club would soon fall apart without the supporters and the new club could retain it's image and history. Actually, it wouldn't have to be a new club then, just a transition!

This whole sorry state would just be a temporary blip - it'd be one way to force the scumbag out. Plenty of options out there considering our original history, the fans would know who the real football club would be, even if it had to struggle for a few years building it's way back through the leagues it'd still be less of a pile of crap than what we've had to put up with for the past few years and it'd be something we could all get behind and follow. No reason several backers couldn't strongarm a team through the leagues over a short number of years with the right manager and decent players for the leagues they'd be in brought in by the extra financial clout we'd have.

Long term we could have something much better with worms like Ashley nowhere near it and still be supporting the same team, same heart, same city, just a slightly different name so as to avoid Ashley being able to do anything about it. The 'United' part of our name written off until such a time as it was able to be readopted at some point in the future if possible, or just consigned to the history books as a name the club had before it split away from a gangrenous limb and went on to better things.

Just a consideration that popped in to my head really, I'm ready to be shot down for it :huh:

Starting a new club should be the very last resort only taken when all is totally lost (stadium sold, further relegations, god forbid renaming the club itself etc). As bad as things are at the moment, it could still be a lot worse. We still have a decent-ish team, are in a good position for promotion (and therefore hopefully more likely to be sold next season) and we still have a fantastic stadium (whatever it's called) and history.

Starting a new club would be far too drastic a measure at this point and in any case who's to say that by the time it has crawled up from the lower leagues back to the big time that another Ashley figure wouldn't have taken over anyway?

Edited by TicTacWoe

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting a new club should be the very last resort only taken when all is totally lost (stadium sold, further relegations, god forbid renaming the club itself etc). As bad as things are at the moment, it could still be a lot worse. We still have a decent-ish team, are in a good position for promotion (and therefore hopefully more likely to be sold next season) and we still have a fantastic stadium (whatever it's called) and history.

Starting a new club would be far too drastic a measure at this point and in any case who's to say that by the time it has crawled up from the lower leagues back to the big time that another Ashley figure wouldn't have taken over anyway?

"We still have decent-ish team" dont know what team you have been watching, my feeling is that we are just slightly less shit than the rest of the league. When everyone is hoping for Shola to get fit it shows how far we have fallen, reality check we are shit with a yes man as manager and a cunt of an owner.

"We still have decent-ish team" dont know what team you have been watching, my feeling is that we are just slightly less shit than the rest of the league. When everyone is hoping for Shola to get fit it shows how far we have fallen, reality check we are shit with a yes man as manager and a cunt of an owner.

I wouldn't disagree but at the same time you've missed his main point.

Reality check we are top of the second tier of the best football league in the world with god knows how many clubs below us who will never even get within a sniff of the premier league. Yes the team is shit compared to Keegans, Bobby's etc but in our current position to be considering starting a new club altogether starting in the lower leagues is highly knee-jerk imo, which was my point in the first place.

What I was saying was that things would (and could easily become) a lot worse for that option to really become a sensible one. I am under no illusions about the current state of the squad, it's the worst we've had for a long time, but with promotion a real possibility and the possible sale of the club in the future it's not too much of a leap to think we could be back to being a mid table PL side in a year or two.

Edited by TicTacWoe

So am i the only person who really doesn't care about this? I admit i didn't like the idea of renaming st James's park but i don't mind the adding to it to give the team more money and to help the club out of this mess.I can see a few clubs doing the same

So am i the only person who really doesn't care about this? I admit i didn't like the idea of renaming st James's park but i don't mind the adding to it to give the team more money and to help the club out of this mess.I can see a few clubs doing the same

I reckon you're right. That's exactly what'll happen.

The thing is the money we would get from a sponser would be a very small amount. Apparantley Arsenal get 3m a year from Emirates in a deal that was done pre credit crunch and is supposed to be one of the biggest sponsership deals in football.

We'd get no-where near that even if the credit crunch hadnt happened let alone the fact taht brands are now much more cautious... 500k a year? Whats the point?

And no way would it ever go towards the team anyway, even if it was magically a decent sum of money we were receiving.

I might be missing something,

The thread about it, the mention in another thread and the fact it's only the ground and not the club being renamed? :razz:

Can you direct me to the post in the other thread when it was officially announced? I couldnt find it

when I get these emails from the club I always reply along the lines of;

'get bent cuntflaps'

'fuck off mike and decca you dickless retards'

'piss up a rope, fuckstick'

etc

I'm sure no one reads them but every little barb I can send back in their direction makes me feel a tiny bit better.

The thing is the money we would get from a sponser would be a very small amount. Apparantley Arsenal get 3m a year from Emirates in a deal that was done pre credit crunch and is supposed to be one of the biggest sponsership deals in football.

We'd get no-where near that even if the credit crunch hadnt happened let alone the fact taht brands are now much more cautious... 500k a year? Whats the point?

And no way would it ever go towards the team anyway, even if it was magically a decent sum of money we were receiving.

The club have already said that St james's will be retained within any sponsorship of the stadium. As long as we are associated with the right company and are getting plenty of revenue from selling our image, I don't see a major problem.

Irrespective of any sponsorship deal, I'll still call it st james's, as will pretty much everyone on this site and within football in general. If some company is daft enough to throw loads of money at us for the priviledge, then so be it.If the fans didn't make a huge fuss about it i bet we did have better offers but they buggered off.

The club have already said that St james's will be retained within any sponsorship of the stadium. As long as we are associated with the right company and are getting plenty of revenue from selling our image, I don't see a major problem.

Irrespective of any sponsorship deal, I'll still call it st james's, as will pretty much everyone on this site and within football in general. If some company is daft enough to throw loads of money at us for the priviledge, then so be it.If the fans didn't make a huge fuss about it i bet we did have better offers but they buggered off.

Fuck off man Hova :razz: Like companies were queueing up to throw daft money at us to get their name on the ground but the fans'll put them off now. Get a grip man. Like he said, Arsenal's agreement (which was meant to be the biggest deal of its type by some margin) only gets them £3m. What planet are you on? Planet contrary?

Fuck off man Hova :razz: Like companies were queueing up to throw daft money at us to get their name on the ground but the fans'll put them off now. Get a grip man. Like he said, Arsenal's agreement (which was meant to be the biggest deal of its type by some margin) only gets them £3m. What planet are you on? Planet contrary?

Why the hell do you call me Hova? I bet we had better offers then what we currently have? Even chelski have clocked on to the idea

Because I'm assuming you are Hova. You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think it's going to create much revenue. Just like you're dreaming if you think Ashley's going to hand it over for transfers.

Because I'm assuming you are Hova. You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think it's going to create much revenue. Just like you're dreaming if you think Ashley's going to hand it over for transfers.

He's not?? :razz::D

Here Alex man, careful Snakeys got a dodgy ticker man!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ond-parody.html

Mike Ashley's stadium renaming takes Newcastle United beyond parody

Mike Ashley's renaming of Newcastle United's home as the sportsdirect.com@St James' Park Stadium shows he still does not understand football supporters.

By Jim White

Published: 7:00AM GMT 06 Nov 2009

It is, according to Derek Llambias, the managing director of Newcastle United, a modern, forward-thinking name, one that demonstrates how commercial considerations and tradition can be happily accommodated in a single, catchy title. Well, that's one way of looking at it.

From this weekend the towering white steel cathedral dominating Newcastle city centre, the place at which generations of local fans have gathered to pay homage and pledge allegiance to the Geordie cause, is to be known as the sportsdirect.com@St James' Park Stadium. No, that's not its email address. That is, until the end of the season at least, its official designation.

It is, perhaps, fortunate that Viz magazine has its headquarters in the city. At least its editors won't have to travel far to witness something that is beyond even their considerable powers of parody.

Because now, following Llambias's announcement, the former Gaylord Entertainment Center – the home of the Nashville Predators ice hockey team – sounds a rather dignified name for a sports ground. In comparison to St James' new identity, FC Dallas's Pizza Hut Park is a beacon of understatement.

Maybe Newcastle are attempting to follow their betters in making a few quid out of nomenclature. Chelsea too have announced that they are seeking to sell off the naming rights to Stamford Bridge. Not even Roman Abramovich, it seems, can afford Frank Lampard's salary without a bit of help.

But what is perhaps even more astonishing than the ridiculous new label is the timing of its announcement. Last week, Mike Ashley, the man behind the Sports Direct retail company and Newcastle's owner, revealed that following his failure to accrue sufficient profit from his cack-handed tenure, he was taking the club off the market.

He was now in it for the long term, he said. He said he hoped the fans would put aside their previous grievances and work with him to ensure the progress of the club.

And then, within a couple of days, he proceeds to alienate the majority of the very same supporters by foisting this insulting new title on the stadium.

What Ashley has consistently failed to grasp in his time at Newcastle is the nature of football support. Fans don't follow the board, they don't hero worship the chairman or chant the name of the principal sponsor.

Their allegiance even withstands the passing of managers and players. It is based, rather, on something more spiritual: a sense of community, a fellowship of the stands, an association with the place in which their club is situated.

There are only a couple of tangible points around which such affiliation can form. One is the shirt. At Newcastle that is already defaced by the logo of Northern Rock, an appropriate symbol of hubris.

The other is the stadium, the last unsullied reference point of the club's history and continuity. Anyone with half an ounce of football sense would appreciate that you tinker with that at your peril.

So what has Ashley, already the most unpopular man in the sportsdirect@St James' Park Stadium, gone and done to prove he is now with the club long term? He has sanctioned the temporary name change in the hope of flushing out a sponsor who might pay upwards of £3 million a year to have their own trade name incorporated.

"We have to do something to maximise revenue streams," said his sidekick Llambias this week. "The club finances are in disarray following relegation." To which the response from the terraces is: and whose fault is that?

As self-destructive acts of commercial judgment go, this naming decision is up there with Gerald Ratner's notorious assessment of his own product. With it, Ashley can now be classified as the clumsiest owner of a football club in recent memory.

And given that that long list includes Oxford United's Firoz Kassam, Chester City's Terry Smith and George Reynolds at Darlington (or should that be @Darlington?) that is saying something.

Ashley has demonstrated yet again that he is a chairman whose understanding of the organisation he owns is roughly on a par with an eight year-old's grasp of quantum physics. Everything he does seems designed to annoy his client base.

Sure, football fans are odd, illogical and hopelessly romantic. But nobody was forcing him to buy into their obsession. And now he has he really ought to make an effort to understand them, to appreciate who they are and why they support his property.

Mind, there is another theory spinning round Newcastle about the new name. It goes like this: far from displaying naivety, Ashley knows precisely what he is doing. Maybe by saddling the stadium with such a comedy moniker, he is trying to undermine the opposition before the rights are eventually sold to the highest bidder.

Because frankly nobody could now argue against a name change; compared to the one he and his chums have come up with, almost anything would sound better. If that is indeed the case – and it seems the only logical explanation – then Ashley's cynicism deserves everything it gets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...