£2,500 for a share in the club?

Bibble

Newcastle United supporters step up campaign to oust Mike Ashley

Thursday, 05 November 2009

By Ben Smith - The Times

"Newcastle United supporters have stepped up their fight to oust Mike Ashley in the wake of his decision to rename St James’ Park, their ground for the past 117 years. Supporters reacted with horror and disgust to yesterday's announcement that the historic ground has been rebranded sportsdirect.com@St James’ Park. The move comes as Newcastle attempt to recoup some of the £50 million that Derek Llambias, the managing director, claimed has been lost in revenue after their relegation to the Coca-Cola Championship.

The Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) is calling on fans to take back control of their club by getting behind the "Yes We Can Campaign", which will be officially launched next week. The fresh push has come after Ashley took the club off the market last week, ending Barry Moat’s bid to buy him out and return Alan Shearer to the dugout. The plan is along similar lines to the model that is in place at Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"There doesn't seem to be any knight in shining armour on the horizon so we have launched our own campaign which is calling upon the supporters to come together with a view to buying Ashley out," Colin Whittle, a NUST spokesman, said. "We have had meetings with financial institutions, brokers, MPs and a lot of other individuals in order to come up with a structure that will ultimately lead to the fans buying Ashley out.

"We would be looking for a one member, one vote option, because we want to have supporter ownership at the core of the club. It is up to us to do it ourselves. Everyone is rising up and we are looking to bring forward the trust's long-term aim, of having an interest in the club, into a short-term one."

It is understood meetings have been arranged with local finance brokers to discuss the proposals, with supporters being asked to contribute around £2,500 for a share, although all options are being explored. Petitions have been set up - NUST has collected more than 16,000 names - and demonstrations are planned for Saturday’s game against Peterborough United.

Yesterday, Llambias admitted the club “could have worded” their statement better. He added, somewhat controversially, that Ashley’s running of the club had been “nearly spot on”."

50,000 members = £120,000,000 - Which might be enough to do the trick and leave a bit of working capital.

£2,500 is a lot of money, but tempting if we definitely got shot of the FCB as a result.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole plan aims to raise between £200 and £300m, purchase of the club, payment of debts and working capital to get us back up there and running successfully.

theres going to be a number of ways to invest, one of them being by handing over £2,500 of actual money, others include the pension investment (which is the one Im personally going to be using because it doesnt involve pulling any actual cash out but moving pension around).

Obviously many, many of us dont just have a spare £2,500 we can invest in our football club and especially to get a return below what we would in a bank but at the same time, knowing that you are getting a return on your investment in addition to owning a chunk of the club is very tempting.

Its each to their own and the full information will be available for everyone to see and make their own minds up. Theres going to be financial advisors opening up in the City Centre allowing people to walk in and discuss the options and whats best for them. Nobody is expected to just put their hands in their pockets and hand over the cash, its got to be done based on whats best for you.

Theres also nothing stopping groups of people, supporters clubs, workplaces etc, chipping in a hundred quid each and raising £2,500 between them to give that group a voice.

Importantly though, whether you invest £2,500 or £25million you get the same voice, 1 member 1 vote.

Im sorry but if you think your gona get 50,000 people to shell out £2.5k when we are in a recession and some folks are struggling to buy their kids Xmas presents you need your head looking at.

My guess, you will be lucky to find 1000 willing to donate that much

Im sorry but if you think your gona get 50,000 people to shell out £2.5k when we are in a recession and some folks are struggling to buy their kids Xmas presents you need your head looking at.

My guess, you will be lucky to find 1000 willing to donate that much

I guess you failed to read my post then.

I did, im replying to the original poster. What happens if you only raise £30million? Does everyone get their money back?

We already have £27m before we've launched with some big players still to announce. Im not involved in the planning of this but I would have said that all deposits are just that, deposits, the person making it can change their mind and withdraw and if it doesnt happen then yes, you'd get your money back.

Thats what I would hope to see happen, once the details are announced on Monday then we'll all be able to read the small print before making any decisions.

Dont get me wrong, this could more than easily fail but theres also a lot of backing of it from some major players in the financial markets, pension companies, banks etc who are looking to use it as a vehicle to invest in (same logic though, one member one vote, so we wont suddenly see Prudential or someone saying "we own 51% of the club so fuck you").

Its time to see what happens, back it however we can. For instance as I said there'd be no reason why a hundred of us on here couldnt put in £25 and buy a slice. 50,000 people at £2,500 I agree is "difficult" to see happening, 5,000 @ £25,000 pension slice more than realistic. That in itself would buy the club and pay off the overdraft. Make it 8,000 investors though and you've suddenly got a £75m player fund.

Add the other means of investing, the big names who stick in a million here or two million there and you are looking very capable of getting to £300m.

The whole plan aims to raise between £200 and £300m, purchase of the club, payment of debts and working capital to get us back up there and running successfully.

theres going to be a number of ways to invest, one of them being by handing over £2,500 of actual money, others include the pension investment (which is the one Im personally going to be using because it doesnt involve pulling any actual cash out but moving pension around).

Obviously many, many of us dont just have a spare £2,500 we can invest in our football club and especially to get a return below what we would in a bank but at the same time, knowing that you are getting a return on your investment in addition to owning a chunk of the club is very tempting.

Its each to their own and the full information will be available for everyone to see and make their own minds up. Theres going to be financial advisors opening up in the City Centre allowing people to walk in and discuss the options and whats best for them. Nobody is expected to just put their hands in their pockets and hand over the cash, its got to be done based on whats best for you.

Theres also nothing stopping groups of people, supporters clubs, workplaces etc, chipping in a hundred quid each and raising £2,500 between them to give that group a voice.

Importantly though, whether you invest £2,500 or £25million you get the same voice, 1 member 1 vote.

It will take time, but it will happen imo. It is the only club in England where it could actually work. The building of a takeover fund doesn't acutally need to start with large individual commitments, we can start building it with smaller amounts to begin with and the moementum will grow. Make sure presidents are up for re-election every 3 years and no more.

What happens when the club is bought, debts are paid and players are brought in. 12 months down the line and the money is gone but we need to re invest in the team?

The second tranche of investment comes form a worldwide membership scheme. Also the PR knock on benefits in the branding marketplace would be an immense advantage as we would be unique in the PL.

Time will tell and I hope youre right, but at the minute I think youre all in fantasy land

I agree it all seems far fetched and the organisation and commitement of thousands is something that doesn't happen often these days as so many people are so apathetic etc..But this is a unique moment and feelings are running high.

Thats just it though about the apathy. I havent felt anything for the team, manager, owners or players since Bobby left. Im starting to watch Blyth more and NUFC less and I dont particularly feel like im missing out. The chance to hoy money into a project that may or may not work, that relies solely on our cunt of an owner accepting it, just doesnt look appealing in the slightest. Maybe other people feel differently?

If this is all feasible then I hope people can give it serious thought, KD appears to have given it the basic 'what a load of shite' reply, which, to be fair a lot of people will, I just hope though, that enough people look into this with a genuine open mind and if its really on, then grasp the nettle and own our own club. I really think just the idea itself is very refreshing, how could it not after this current owner we have?

Be brave!

Sieze the moment!

Don't be little people being dictated to by some cunt with money

Grow some fucking balls!!!

Just give them a decent hearing. I will.

:razz:

The way Pud explains it it sounds like a piece of piss :D

I'm interested despite the fact I don't have the money or a pension :razz: It does sound a bit fanciful on the face of it but i'll support it all the way. God knows it's preferable to what's going on at the club currently.

According to NUFC.COM

Sportsdirect@St James Park

"For the remainder of this season, we already have sportsdirect.com on the Gallowgate. We'd like to take that branding through the rest of the stadium and have on the outside where you see St.James now, 'sportsdirect.com @ St.James' Park' to showcase to whoever's out there who wishes to buy that package."

Cant believe they are actually doing it :razz:

And then you knock down the idea to put something in place where we control our own club and wouldn't have to put up with this shit.

Hear the fuckers out!

They've made the effort, it's the least we can all do!

Im not knocking anything, im trying to have a reasoned debate and im putting my opinion across. Dont be huffed cos it differs to yours

I'm not huffed!

You can't really have a reasoned debate on this yet for the same fucking reason I can't...... We haven't enough info!

I'd love it to be workable and will listen in the hope that it is.... will you give it an open mind?

I suppose if you are interested in buying a share and you haven't got £2.5k lying about it might be worth thinking about getting a loan for it. The interest rates are absolutely rock bottom at the minute. I know I've been approved for a one for £35k because Barclaycard send me a letter every week to remind me. Seriously though, worth thinking about imo.

Surely once the initial investment is used up to buy the club and clear the debts there would be enough income through ticket sales, merchandising, corporate sales and tv licensing to keep things ticking over? How do the other clubs mentioned who do it manage things?