Aussie Nuclear Terror (maybe)

Rob W

Nuclear link' to terror suspects

A nuclear research reactor was a possible target for a group of men arrested on terrorism charges last week in Australia, police have said.

Three of the 18 men arrested had been stopped near the reactor outside Sydney last December, a police document said. Police also alleged that some of the men attended military-style training camps in the country's outback.

Defence lawyers say there is no evidence of a planned attack and the case is politically motivated.

The details of the police case against the men emerged as authorities in Brisbane ordered all trains and buses to stop during Monday's rush hour, following telephoned threats. Public transport was halted between 1645 (0645GMT) and 1715, but later resumed without incident after the calls were assumed to have been hoaxes.

'Cut lock'

The 18 suspects were detained after raids in Melbourne and Sydney last Tuesday. The Sydney group was charged with planning an attack on an unspecified target, while the Melbourne suspects were charged with belonging to a terrorist organisation.

AUSTRALIA ARRESTS

Eight men arrested in Sydney on 8 November, charged with planning a terrorist act

At least two alleged to have had militant training in Pakistan

Another suspect arrested later in Sydney

Nine arrested in Melbourne on charges of belonging to terror group

Abu Bakr alleged to be overall leader

A police document released on Monday named those stopped by New South Wales police near the Lucas Heights reactor as Mazen Touma, Mohammed Elomar and Abdul Rakib Hasan. Lucas Heights, Australia's only nuclear reactor, is about 40km (25 miles) south west of central Sydney. It is used for research and medical purposes, and does not generate electricity.

The three told officers that they were in the area to ride a trail bicycle, which was in the back of their vehicle, according to the document. But when questioned separately, it added, the men gave differing accounts of their activities.

After investigating the area, police found a security gate lock for the complex "had recently been cut," the document said. The document also said six of the men arrested went on "hunting and camping trips" in early 2005, which police described as jihad training camps.

The document said the Sydney group was gathering material to make a bomb.

It said a computer memory stick had been found at one of the suspect's houses which contained instructions in Arabic for making triacetone triperoxide (TATP), an explosive.

The document said police had seized 30 bottles of hydrogen peroxide and six gallons of hydrochloric acid, among other materials. A defence lawyer said the charges were based on "marginal evidence".

Sounds like sensationalistic bollocks to me like. They may well have wanted to attack a nuclear facility but it doesn't sound like they had the means to do it.

Alos, what type of nuclear reactor doesn't produce electricity? I assume it's very small.

Amazingly enough this comes just as Howard is trying to get new anti-terror legistlation through Parliament...

reminds me of the famous"tanks at Heathrow" case

I find it quite amusing that the Outback is so vast and remote that would-be Australian terrorists just set up their training camps there rather than having to bugger off to Afghanistan.

There was a rumour (unproven) a few years back that that Japanese Cult (the ones who let off the nerve gas on the Toyko underground tested a nuclear bomb in the Aussie outback first!

I find it quite amusing that the Outback is so vast and remote that would-be Australian terrorists just set up their training camps there rather than having to bugger off to Afghanistan.

There was a rumour (unproven) a few years back that that Japanese Cult (the ones who let off the nerve gas on the Toyko underground tested a nuclear bomb in the Aussie outback first!

56220[/snapback]

You wouldnt imagine the Aussie outback recreated the conditions of downtown Tokyo terribly well would you?!

56220[/snapback]

You wouldnt imagine the Aussie outback recreated the conditions of downtown Tokyo terribly well would you?!

56221[/snapback]

They should have gone down the American route of testing their nuclear bombs on Japanese cities tbh ;)

Sounds like sensationalistic bollocks to me like. They may well have wanted to attack a nuclear facility but it doesn't sound like they had the means to do it.

Alos, what type of nuclear reactor doesn't produce electricity? I assume it's very small.

56210[/snapback]

John Howard, also known as Mr Garrison from South Park (and G dub you is Mr Hat!), is using every trick in the book to have terrorist treats fill the media at the moment.

One because it is helping him pass legislation that effectively cut anyone who is in Australia legal rights and turning the place into a police state but mainly because his government is trying to pass another legislation that removes all workers rights and turns Australia in the 52nd state of the US. Fucking bastard.

Renton, the only nuclear facility in Australia is a small plant south of Sydney that manufactures medical isotopes for radiation therapy.

It is alleged that there is more nuclear power at Pine Gap, the US base in central Australia.

With these IR changes, all it will take is a spark and the revolution will start.

I've seriously never seen Australians so united against something. Anger is brewing and Gerbil Howard must be cacking his dacks.

56369[/snapback]

Why would he, the prick now has the power to call us a terrorist and lock us up indefinitely.

People talk about how evil facism was and how lucky we are Hitler didn't succeed with his new world order, well there is a new world order happening as we speak across the 1st world. Bush, Blair, Howard and a host of others are using recent terrorist acts to justify the police states they are implementing. The boundaries of human rights are blurring and we will find what we once thought as our rights will be replaced by what is good for our nations governments and their corporate sponsors.

Edited by sammynb

With these IR changes, all it will take is a spark and the revolution will start.

I've seriously never seen Australians so united against something. Anger is brewing and Gerbil Howard must be cacking his dacks.

56369[/snapback]

Why would he, the prick now has the power to call us a terrorist and lock us up indefinitely.

People talk about how evil facism was and how lucky we are Hitler didn't succeed with his new world order, well there is a new world order happening as we speak across the 1st world. Bush, Blair, Howard and a host of others are using recent terrorist acts to justify the police states they are implementing. The boundaries of human rights are blurring and we will find what we once thought as our rights will be replaced by what is good for our nations governments and their corporate sponsors.

56370[/snapback]

Actually I agree, and it appears you Ozzies have a better grip on what is happening than us Brits. If I was to say what you just have had, I would get accused of being a loony by people like Gemmill.

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

Actually I agree, and it appears you Ozzies have a better grip on what is happening than us Brits. If I was to say what you just have had, I would get accused of being a loony by people like Gemmill.

56387[/snapback]

People like Gemmill? ;) The only time I've referred to your (all too apparent) mental problems is when you're wailing on about how Newcastle United are coming apart at the seams. You can say what you like about Bush and Blair - your status as a loony will be unaffected. ;)

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

56387[/snapback]

People like Gemmill? ;) The only time I've referred to your (all too apparent) mental problems is when you're wailing on about how Newcastle United are coming apart at the seams. You can say what you like about Bush and Blair - your status as a loony will be unaffected. ;)

56389[/snapback]

Wrong. You once accused me of being a mentalist because of my fear of what ID cards will lead to, actually.

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

56387[/snapback]

People like Gemmill? ;) The only time I've referred to your (all too apparent) mental problems is when you're wailing on about how Newcastle United are coming apart at the seams. You can say what you like about Bush and Blair - your status as a loony will be unaffected. :razz:

56389[/snapback]

Wrong. You once accused me of being a mentalist because of my fear of what ID cards will lead to, actually.

56392[/snapback]

;)

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

56387[/snapback]

People like Gemmill? ;) The only time I've referred to your (all too apparent) mental problems is when you're wailing on about how Newcastle United are coming apart at the seams. You can say what you like about Bush and Blair - your status as a loony will be unaffected. :razz:

56389[/snapback]

56392[/snapback]

;)

56393[/snapback]

What a good reply. :razz:

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

56387[/snapback]

56389[/snapback]

56392[/snapback]

:razz:

56393[/snapback]

What a good reply. :P

56396[/snapback]

;)

Unlike you Renton, I'm not constantly on the lookout for an argument. :rolleyes:

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

56387[/snapback]

56389[/snapback]

56392[/snapback]

56393[/snapback]

What a good reply. :rolleyes:

56396[/snapback]

;)

Unlike you Renton, I'm not constantly on the lookout for an argument. :rolleyes:

56397[/snapback]

Oh yes you are!

:P

56369[/snapback]

56370[/snapback]

56387[/snapback]

56389[/snapback]

56392[/snapback]

56393[/snapback]

What a good reply. :P

56396[/snapback]

;)

56397[/snapback]

Right, because message boards aren't for discussions, are they? Just stick to the insults then. :rolleyes: