Cudicini wrecks himself on a bike

ewerk

Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini has suffered "potentially life-changing injuries" in a motorbike accident in east London, police said.

He was taken to hospital after his BMW bike was involved in a collision with a car in Walthamstow at about 1030 GMT.

He has fractured his wrists and injured his pelvis but a spokesman for the north London club said they were still waiting for hospital test results.

The Italian, 36, signed from London rivals Chelsea in January this year.

The female driver and a child passenger walked away from the Ford Fiesta Cudicini was in collision with and did not need hospital treatment.

No arrests

The accident happened on Forest Road.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "A 36-year-old male suffered injuries described by the London Ambulance Service as possibly life-changing and was taken to an east London hospital for further assessment and treatment.

"No arrests have been made."

A statement on Tottenham's website said: "Carlo Cudicini has fractured his wrists and injured his pelvis after being involved in a road accident this morning.

Free transfer

"The 36-year-old Italian goalkeeper has been admitted to hospital and undergone scans under the supervision of club medical staff.

"The club will update supporters on Carlo as soon as there is any further information."

Cudicini was signed by manager Harry Redknapp on a free transfer and has made eight appearances standing in for the injured Heurelho Gomes.

He spent almost 10 years at the west London club after spells at AC Milan and Lazio.

His father Fabio was AC Milan's goalkeeper in the 1960s.

Looks like that's his career over then.

What was a professional footballer doing on a motorbike though?

Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini has suffered "potentially life-changing injuries" in a motorbike accident in east London, police said.

He was taken to hospital after his BMW bike was involved in a collision with a car in Walthamstow at about 1030 GMT.

He has fractured his wrists and injured his pelvis but a spokesman for the north London club said they were still waiting for hospital test results.

The Italian, 36, signed from London rivals Chelsea in January this year.

The female driver and a child passenger walked away from the Ford Fiesta Cudicini was in collision with and did not need hospital treatment.

No arrests

The accident happened on Forest Road.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "A 36-year-old male suffered injuries described by the London Ambulance Service as possibly life-changing and was taken to an east London hospital for further assessment and treatment.

"No arrests have been made."

A statement on Tottenham's website said: "Carlo Cudicini has fractured his wrists and injured his pelvis after being involved in a road accident this morning.

Free transfer

"The 36-year-old Italian goalkeeper has been admitted to hospital and undergone scans under the supervision of club medical staff.

"The club will update supporters on Carlo as soon as there is any further information."

Cudicini was signed by manager Harry Redknapp on a free transfer and has made eight appearances standing in for the injured Heurelho Gomes.

He spent almost 10 years at the west London club after spells at AC Milan and Lazio.

His father Fabio was AC Milan's goalkeeper in the 1960s.

Looks like that's his career over then.

What was a professional footballer doing on a motorbike though?

about 25mph

Surprised the club and/or their insurance allowed it. Most professional sportsmen are banned for things like motorbikes and going skiing.

i thought the same as soon as i saw the story

Well I suppose that ends the speculation over whether he'll play for England.

He's already played for Italy.

Are you sure you don't mean Almunia?

Interesting, didn't know that. I thought he was mentioned in the same breath as Almunia as a candidate for England, given the current incumbents aren't good enough. Hey ho, it's all moot now. Hope he makes a full recovery, he probably had a good 4 or 5 years left in him before the Barry Sheen impersonation.

Surprised the club and/or their insurance allowed it. Most professional sportsmen are banned for things like motorbikes and going skiing.

I remeber reading an interview with Michael Bridges in one of the matchday programmes and he said he would love a motorbike but wasnt allowed due to insurance etc.

What a cock he is (Cudicini) for putting himself in that position, complete bell end.

Apparently it is very common in motorcycle accidents for the drivers "privates parts" to be impacted by the petrol tank when the driver is catapulted forwards. Very nasty indeed!

Glad I'm not the only one on here who's seen that site. Career over like.

Well I suppose that ends the speculation over whether he'll play for England.

He's already played for Italy.

Are you sure you don't mean Almunia?

The rumours about Cudicini possibly playing for England came long before those did for Almunia. Cudicini has, as you say, now played for the Italian national team.

I've heard that neither the club nor the insurance DID allow it and had no idea he had a bike. If it's true he won't be paid a penny during his sick time.

I remeber reading an interview with Michael Bridges in one of the matchday programmes and he said he would love a motorbike but wasnt allowed due to insurance etc.

What a cock he is (Cudicini) for putting himself in that position, complete bell end.

Hopefully.

I'm NOT a professional footballer (for those of you that didn't know) and you wouldn't get me on one. 1.5 tonne metal boxes versus open air spine snapping device. Not worth the 'thrill' imo. You can't legislate for other people accidentally ending your life because they were on the phone or eating a curly wurly.

I'm NOT a professional footballer (for those of you that didn't know) and you wouldn't get me on one. 1.5 tonne metal boxes versus open air spine snapping device. Not worth the 'thrill' imo. You can't legislate for other people accidentally ending your life because they were on the phone or eating a curly wurly.

When I had my motorbike all my accidents were out of the blue and caused by some muppet who is blind. Too dangerous by half imo.

They are proper death traps but they're canny fucking exciting which is what attracts people. Plus you're getting supercar performance within the price range of your ordinary Joe.