Dead bodies needed - suggestions please

Rob W

Medical training 'bodies threat'

Doctor training is being undermined because of a lack of dead bodies to study, the government says.

Two courses have already been cancelled this year because of a lack of cadavers and experts said more will be hit if the fall in donations is not reversed. The government has blamed rising medical student numbers, TV shows and the Alder Hey scandal for the problem. In the last five years, the number of bodies being donated has fallen from 670 to 600 across England and Wales.

This has been coupled with a rise in medical students - since 2000 eight medical schools and 15 postgraduate anatomy departments for surgeon training have opened.

If this downward trend is not reversed medical students will soon not have the opportunity to learn their anatomy from the best "text book" - the real human body

Department of Health spokeswoman

The Department of Health said people had been put off following the recent Channel 4 TV series Anatomy for Beginners, which showed German doctor Gunther von Hagens dissecting a body. And potential donors have also said to have cited the scandals over the unconsented retention of body parts at Bristol's Children's Hospital and the Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said there was a degree of confusion about the issue as the cases were not related to anatomy studies. She added: "England has an enviable reputation for training some of the best doctors in the world and there is a risk that without these donations students and trainee surgeons will not receive the best training.

"If this downward trend is not reversed medical students will soon not have the opportunity to learn their anatomy from the best "text book" - the real human body."

But the British Medical Association said it was not aware of the problem, pointing out medical schools were increasingly able to use technology instead of dead bodies.

I can't imagine being taught anatomy without a body. I'm not surprised that TV programme has put people off - it makes the study of anatomy and the process of autopsy seem like some bizarre cult ritual taught by creepy weirdos in silly hats, when they are both vital processes in learning about the state of the body in health and disease.

I can't imagine being taught anatomy without a body. I'm not surprised that TV programme has put people off - it makes the study of anatomy and the process of autopsy seem like some bizarre cult ritual taught by creepy weirdos in silly hats, when they are both vital processes in learning about the state of the body in health and disease.

56247[/snapback]

I do agree, however being in the process of being taught anatomy at the moment...I would rather refer to a book. The pictures look nicer and its easier to carry a book in my bag!

56247[/snapback]

I do agree, however being in the process of being taught anatomy at the moment...I would rather refer to a book. The pictures look nicer and its easier to carry a book in my bag!

56345[/snapback]

And the smell...urgh.

56247[/snapback]

56345[/snapback]

It's impossible to learn anatomy from a book. Modern 3D computer programs may help, but I doubt you can replace dissection at the end of the day.

Mind you, no fucking way would I donate my body after what I've seen.