A tour of Newcastle...

Lou

OK, in practise for the next time I see Steve, I'm taking an Aussie friend on a tour of Newcastle on Sunday.

So far on my list I have:

1. Guy Balancing On His Elbow. It's the closest we have to Upside Down Cow in Tree. Really, we need to try harder.

2. Bridge That's Smaller Than The Sydney One. Because really, when you're in Sydney aren't you always like "nice bridge...... bit big though....."

3. Blind People Death Trip. Now this is pure comedy. I'm not gonna tell you more, because I really really want to take Steve there without him knowing what to expect ;)

4. SJP. If I can persuade him to walk all that way just to see a football stadium. He probably won't appreciate as much as some.

5. Monument. It's the guy that invented tea! Well, ok, so he probably didn't INVENT tea... but still.

There must be more than 5 things of interest??

Oh, I suppose the blue carpet, but I forget where that is. And it's not REALLY blue. OR a carpet. Actually, that sounds perfect. Has to go on the list.

I bet he's currently sitting in where-ever it is he's currently sitting in, down in London, wondering why he's got a sudden sense of doom drifting over him...... ;)

C'mon folks. Ideas :razz:

Nopt sure of the street name to be honest.  Is it Blenheim Street?

2 minute walk from St James' anyhow.

56314[/snapback]

Happy Face, is that a clip from the classic film Old Boy in your avatar?

56321[/snapback]

wye aye man!

2. Bridge That's Smaller Than The Sydney One.  Because really, when you're in Sydney aren't you always like "nice bridge...... bit big though....."

It was the Tyne Bridge that gave them the idea for the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The Tyne Bridge is 4 or 5 years older. The same company built both.

As for the Jackie Milburn statue, it's on St James' Boulevard (formerly Blenheim Street) next to the Brewery. From SJP, cross over Barrack Road at the Roundabout with Gallowgate and it's a little way down on your right, sort of between Barrack Road and Westgate Road.

Other things - the Castle Keep - you can go inside and up to the top.

City Walls behind Chinatown

Depending on how far you want to go, hop on the Metro to Wallsend (towards the coast) and Segedunum, the Roman Fort/Museum (where Hadrians Wall ended) is practically a minute's walk from the Metro Station.

The Blue Carpet is next to the Laing Art Gallery. At the bottom of Northumberland Street (next to where it becomes Pilgrim Street) turn left and keep on walking towards the Holiday Inn, which is straight ahead. It's just before you get to the Holiday Inn, once you've crossed John Dobson Street (beside Dobson's Bar) you're there.

The Ice rink has opened at Times Square (Centre for Life), so you could go Ice Skating.

Awww... Tom's my new favourite person. ;)

Haha... ice skating....mmhmm... let's just give him comedy material for free why don't we?! Man I suck at skating. It IS fun though....!

Thanks for all those ideas. I may give him a choice of things to do, as opposed to dragging him around TOO much...

Could turn out to be quite fun though.

I love that I'm friends with this guy simply because I yelled the word KAPOW! at him when he walked by me one day ;)

I love that I'm friends with this guy simply because I yelled the word KAPOW! at him when he walked by me one day :razz:

56341[/snapback]

Has he got something wrong with him too like?

;)

56412[/snapback]

Care in the community tbh ;)

The Metro to Shields and get shove him off at the "meadowell" and tell him you'll be back in 10 minutes when the train turns round and comes back

One of Tynesides tougher pubs..............

The Town Moor of course - nowt like it anywhere else I've been

The Markets

Try and get a peek inside the Royal Theatre

Central Station - far better than owt in Oz

the Lit & Phil - it has books in it - they don't have any in Oz

Peopel enjoying themselves on the beach in tynemouth in sub zero temperatures

The Metro to Shields and get shove him off at the "meadowell" and tell him you'll be back in 10 minutes when the train turns round and comes back

One of Tynesides tougher pubs..............

The Town Moor of course - nowt like it anywhere else I've been

The Markets

Try and get a peek inside the Royal Theatre

Central Station - far better than owt in Oz

the Lit & Phil - it has books in it - they don't have any in Oz

Peopel enjoying themselves on the beach in tynemouth in sub zero temperatures

56419[/snapback]

Good shout that, lovely interior and not a lot of people visit it.

How about The Crown Posada for a Quayside anachronism?

Or the Castle Keep for great views of the city?

Where's the Castle Keep? ;)

And there WAS a reason as to why I yelled 'KAPOW' at him.... it doesn't make me seem less mentally challenged... but at least there's a REASON.....

Where's the Castle Keep? ;)

And there WAS a reason as to why I yelled 'KAPOW' at him.... it doesn't make me seem less mentally challenged... but at least there's a REASON.....

56523[/snapback]

Was he dressed as Batman like? Anyway, the Castle Keep is next to the High Level Bridge. It's the castle you can see when you inside the Central Station. It's open all week. You can go up to the top and peer out from one of the turrets. If you like that sort of thing, like me.

Where's the Castle Keep? :razz:

56523[/snapback]

Was he dressed as Batman like? Anyway, the Castle Keep is next to the High Level Bridge. It's the castle you can see when you inside the Central Station. It's open all week. You can go up to the top and peer out from one of the turrets. If you like that sort of thing, like me.

56543[/snapback]

;) Do you get dressed up in a suit of armour an'all like, Lancelot? ;)

Where's the Castle Keep? :P

56523[/snapback]

56543[/snapback]

:razz: Do you get dressed up in a suit of armour an'all like, Lancelot? ;)

56559[/snapback]

Aye, so what? :razz:

;)

PEERING FROM TURRETS!!!!???!!!!

I'm so there!!

*hopes Danny likes turrets*

And his show at Melb Comedy Festival was called KAPOW! because it was all about superheroes and stuff... and he walked by holding leaflets... and without any consultation or anything, Trisi and I both just found ourselves yelling 'KAPOW!!!' at him, at exactly the same time, and at exactly the same volume (ie: really quite loud). So he stopped and came over to chat, which was his vital mistake, as we've been friends ever since.

take him to the Sage it's quite impressive and it also usually has cat burgulars abseiling into one of the windows at the top of the building.

there's also a lift to the car park where from the top floor, you can look through a window in the floor at peoples balding spots.