GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

28 minutes ago, Renton said:

Climate change is the most important issue of our times.

Not convinced going vegan is the answer like, methane has 10 times the greenhouse effect of CO2 and yet you admit to becoming a farting machine? ;)

Anyway, no thanks, we are omnivores. And forget about being a hypocrite wearing leather (you are), but what are you air miles like? Are you giving up holidays too? 

Did you know that the amount of greenhouse gas emissions from animal agriculture is greater than the amount from the combined exhaust fumes of all forms of transport? Watch cowspiracy - it’s illuminating. 

Industrial scale factory farming is destroying the planet. This is another inconvenient truth which no one wants to hear. No one wants to be told what to eat. Reducing our dependence on animal products is probably the most effective thing we can do as individuals to slow the destruction of the planet, short of mass genocide in a bid to stop population growth.

I’m doing as much as I feel I can. I want to cut the amount of animal products I consume but there is a limit to how far I feel I can go. Everyone will have a limit. For me, it’s pizza, cheese and wine. For some it will be eating less red meat, for others it’ll be going vegetarian. It all helps if it builds awareness about what animal agriculture is doing to the planet. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

25 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

9/10 people don’t really give a fuck about global warming. 

If that’s true then we truly are fucked. We are already close to a tipping point. 

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

True. Like the overwhelming majority I carry on with life as normal bar the odd bit of forced domestic recycling. Most who argue differently are crying crocodile tears.

You’re not at all worried about the global scientific consensus then, or the implications for your children and grandchildren?

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

True. Like the overwhelming majority I carry on with life as normal bar the odd bit of forced domestic recycling. Most who argue differently are crying crocodile tears.

We've established you don't give a fuck about your descendents already. It's one thing to be concerned but find it difficult to act, it's another one to be pig shit ignorant about virtually everything and not even think about it. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You’re not at all worried about the global scientific consensus then, or the implications for your children and grandchildren?

I’d rather we were not facing it, I’m just saying that most people don’t register it serious enough to do much about it. I suppose this breaks down into two main points.

1. Is it really going to make a big difference to your average punter or their grandchildren? If so, what?

2. What difference can your average punter make when the meat industry is one of the biggest causes, and despite your valiant efforts, that’s not realistically going to change. And the vast majority of the developing world want their turn at coal powered energy and fast food.

Its similar to supporting NUFC, we all know what we’d like but accept we have little control in events. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

We've established you don't give a fuck about your descendents already. It's one thing to be concerned but find it difficult to act, it's another one to be pig shit ignorant about virtually everything and not even think about it. 

I’ll take no lectures from Toontastics chief crocodile tear supplier.

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’d rather we were not facing it, I’m just saying that most people don’t register it serious enough to do much about it. I suppose this breaks down into two main points.

1. Is it really going to make a big difference to your average punter or their grandchildren? If so, what?

2. What difference can your average punter make when the meat industry is one of the biggest causes, and despite your valiant efforts, that’s not realistically going to change. And the vast majority of the developing world want their turn at coal powered energy and fast food.

Its similar to supporting NUFC, we all know what we’d like but accept we have little control in events. 

And yet we still support them. I agree to your second point fwiw, but on point 1, it's going to make a huge difference. You're either not listening or are still on the Gove mindset of having had enough of experts.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

9/10 people don’t really give a fuck about global warming. 

That’s the problem isn’t it.

And being happy to be a selfish cunt doesn’t make you right but just an even bigger cunt.

I watched that Stacey Dooley documentary on the impacts of clothes on the environment and they didn't even have beef as the top cause. Which is at odds with the conspiracy documentary that I watched a few weeks ago. I did get the impression as it went on that it was massive vegan proganda, the guy on it came across as one of the militant ones. Either way I doubt global warming is reversible. If it does half it won't be because of anything humans have done

47 minutes ago, Renton said:

And yet we still support them. I agree to your second point fwiw, but on point 1, it's going to make a huge difference. You're either not listening or are still on the Gove mindset of having had enough of experts.

So what difference is it going to make in Tyne & Wear in 40 years?

I’m not going vegan, but I do all the other stuff. Recycle properly, eat a lot less meat than I used to, bike about, public transport.

Kind of welcome the upcoming ice age though tbh, the earth could do with a fucking big purge.

CT is at least honest about this. I'm not much better than him. Still eat meat, recycle only because its been made so easy, etc.

Governments need to mandate the changes. As with Brexit, the people are too stupid to be given a choice and expected to act accordingly.

Realism needs to take hold.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

CT is at least honest about this. I'm not much better than him. Still eat meat, recycle only because its been made so easy, etc.

Governments need to mandate the changes. As with Brexit, the people are too stupid to be given a choice and expected to act accordingly.

Realism needs to take hold.

Well the evil EU mandated low energy light bulbs and Hoovers. Caused an uproar in the Daily Heil. But your right, we need government to force us to change. 

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I watched that Stacey Dooley documentary on the impacts of clothes on the environment and they didn't even have beef as the top cause. Which is at odds with the conspiracy documentary that I watched a few weeks ago. I did get the impression as it went on that it was massive vegan proganda, the guy on it came across as one of the militant ones. Either way I doubt global warming is reversible. If it does half it won't be because of anything humans have done

Fast fashion is no good for the environment either, true. A pair of jeans takes 1,800 gallons of water to produce. But a pair of jeans can last years. 

But put that in context: a quarter pound beef burger takes 1,300 gallons of water to produce. That’s a single meal.

I don’t dispute that the cowspiracy filmmaker had a narrative he wanted to push, and he didn’t get all of his figures from peer reviewed studies that are widely accepted in the scientific community, but there is little doubt that factory farming plays a massive role in climate change: 18% of all greenhouse emissions, to be precise, plus there’s all the deforestation of the Brazilian rainforest that goes into rearing them and growing the soybeans to feed them. Not to mention the waste that is contaminating our seas.

What I found most revealing in that doc was how the environmental groups are ignoring the problem because they’re afraid about what it’ll do to their funding. Some of the interviews with their executives are so squirmy - excruciating viewing and yet absolutely outrageous when you think about it. Greenpeace wouldn’t even talk to him about it. All because they know people don’t want to hear about it. It’s an uncomfortable truth for all of us and, yes I feel the same. I know dairy farming is bad but I’m fucked if I’m giving up cheese for good.

Crap response. How much of a change have you personally made?

None probably as I am certainly in the minority to doylums like you who selfishly run down society and the planet.

I do act as it fits my conscience though. Unlike you I try to be rather Kantish than cuntish.

• Haha 1

Eating meat was fine when we were hunter gatherers and there was a balance to the global ecosystem. Factory farming is fucking brutal and it’s destroying the planet. The number of cows on earth and the land devoted to rearing and feeding them is completely ridiculous. 

So what difference is it going to make in Tyne & Wear in 40 years?

Firstly, but not surprisingly, you seem to be adopting a selfish attitude with that question. But since you ask. There will be many more extreme weather events, coastal flooding, crop failure etc. London will be at huge risk from flooding, impacting the whole of Greater England (as it will be called then).

But the problems will be global. Low lying land and entire island countries wiped out. Extreme cyclones and hurricanes on a frequent basis. Florida gone. Mass emigration, starvation, wars. Mass extinction of animal and plant life.

The scary thing is the IPCC  report was underplaying some serious risks positive feedback loops will kick in. Ice reflects heat, earth absorbs it. There are billions of tons of methane locked into arctic tundra that could be released. Etc. The worst case scenario is the end of civilisation as we know it.

Still, nothing to worry about. 

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Firstly, but not surprisingly, you seem to be adopting a selfish attitude with that question. But since you ask. There will be many more extreme weather events, coastal flooding, crop failure etc. London will be at huge risk from flooding, impacting the whole of Greater England (as it will be called then).

But the problems will be global. Low lying land and entire island countries wiped out. Extreme cyclones and hurricanes on a frequent basis. Florida gone. Mass emigration, starvation, wars. Mass extinction of animal and plant life.

The scary thing is the IPCC  report was underplaying some serious risks positive feedback loops will kick in. Ice reflects heat, earth absorbs it. There are billions of tons of methane locked into arctic tundra that could be released. Etc. The worst case scenario is the end of civilisation as we know it.

Still, nothing to worry about. 

Sleep tight everyone 

On 23/11/2009 at 12:12, Christmas Tree said:

Yes,

Its the only way most of them can get funded.

No one is saying putting bad stuff in the air is good, but mankinds contribution combimed with pollutants released via volcanoes, the sea and the like is miniscule. Also the scare mongering has been ridiculous.

:lol:

:CT:

Mind, shame on @wykikitoon too. 

3 hours ago, Renton said:

If we all did a bit it could help though surely? It’s got to be better than doing fuck all other than sticking cotton wool in our ears and counting down to armageddon 

On 23/11/2009 at 15:16, Christmas Tree said:

Ask any do-greener to list the worst 5 things that will happen in the next 100 years to the Uk and then you realise this is money wasted and why the average Joe doesn't care about this at all.

Awaits top 5 lists....

:CT: