GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

There’s nothing wrong with genuine concern and good on you for trying to do your bit. The faux rage bit kicks in when the middle class spout their anger at others on social media while not actually going the extra mile themselves.

You know, either practice what you preach or don’t preach.

Tbf to Gloom though it does sound like he's doing his bit.

17 hours ago, Isegrim said:

What do I do that does make me false?

:lol: You call me a selfish twat for basically saying that like most people, I don’t do as much as I could and then say you basically do nothing either.

That makes us both selfish twats, but you a hypocrite. Faux rage. ;)

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's good that the US takes a lot of the brunt of global warming though.

Hopefully it'll sink in eventually.

Well, Florida did vote for Trump.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: You call me a selfish twat for basically saying that like most people, I don’t do as much as I could and then say you basically do nothing either.

That makes us both selfish twats, but you a hypocrite. Faux rage. ;)

Ah sorry, that’s probably down to a misunderstanding. When you asked me what changes i’ve done, I thought you meant what actual effects the things I do have had so far.

I do constantly change things to act more eco friendly, e. g. looking at what food I buy, clothes, don’t use the car unless really needed, don’t use planes unless really needed etc.

Plus, I do vote for people and parties who want to enforce measures to save the environment. Some of which will most likely effect myself negatively, especially cost me money, but also will hold businesses responsible.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:33, Christmas Tree said:

There’s nothing wrong with genuine concern and good on you for trying to do your bit. The faux rage bit kicks in when the middle class spout their anger at others on social media while not actually going the extra mile themselves.

You know, either practice what you preach or don’t preach.

A lot of people being concerned and making incremental changes to their lives can have a big impact. You needn't live like a hermit to show your concern for the state of the climate. You can buy from more responsible businesses, you can vote for more responsible governments. 

But, y'know, that doesn't necessarily benefit you immediately and directly, so I can see why you'd not give a shit. You sure your name isn't Jack?

I agree with CT to a point, there's too many people that don't give a shit for your conscience appeasing small changes to be anything other than futile. Voting for more responsible governments is futile - they won't get in. Global warming will be as catastrophic as it's going to be, we aren't reversing it. We should be spending on preparing/adapting to the consequences than drop-in-the-ocean futile prevention attempts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I agree with CT to a point, there's too many people that don't give a shit for your conscience appeasing small changes to be anything other than futile. Voting for more responsible governments is futile - they won't get in. Global warming will be as catastrophic as it's going to be, we aren't reversing it. We should be spending on preparing/adapting to the consequences than drop-in-the-ocean futile prevention attempts

Maybe it's worth bearing in mind that the world got it's act together and banned CFCs, and ozone depletion is consequently in reversal. Global warming is a much more complex problem but there are solutions if the world works together. But the Putin. And Trump.....

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

Maybe it's worth bearing in mind that the world got it's act together and banned CFCs, and ozone depletion is consequently in reversal. Global warming is a much more complex problem but there are solutions if the world works together. But the Putin. And Trump.....

As far as understatements go...

It's okay blaming Putin and Trump, but they were elected with vote winning policies. Going green isn't one, and won't be until we're at a visible point of destruction. We're already being given grave warnings from scientists and they're dropping off news bullitens within a day because not enough people give a shit. Bannings cfcs and changing the habits of 6 billion people are different animals

I imagine we will leave it too late and our grandkids will look back at us as the selfish twats we are when we had all the data and warnings but chose to ignore it all because we’re lazy individualist twats. 

I don’t know when or if we will ever accept what animal agriculture is doing to the world, some kind of meat tax might help reduce consumption but it will decimate industry and people won’t vote for it. We have all the facts on fossil fuels and yet a climate change denier is the White House with fracking and “clean coal” all the rage.

The David Attenborough blue planet show had a big impact in how the world views plastic. Little things like that can go a long way to changing public opinion and policy.

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

As far as understatements go...

It's okay blaming Putin and Trump, but they were elected with vote winning policies. Going green isn't one, and won't be until we're at a visible point of destruction. We're already being given grave warnings from scientists and they're dropping off news bullitens within a day because not enough people give a shit. Bannings cfcs and changing the habits of 6 billion people are different animals

I think it’s individuals which will eventually influence policymakers but suspect you’re right and we will leave it too late. 

The truth is the planet will be fine once we’re gone. It’s the human race that’s potentially fucked.

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Political change is what is needed - elected governments which take the issue seriously before it’s too late. It always starts with individuals 

Aye but who is going to vote for the party that wants to ban beef and meat? Which is what is basically needed going off that cowspiracy show. Going off that we could probably stop using oil and still fry the earth given how much it contributes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Ah alright, a few middle class lads going vegan is going to stop this. Pardon my realism.

A few people won’t change things alone. But it’s about awareness and influence. That’s how forces for change snowball and take a life of their own - from the ground up.

Aye but who is going to vote for the party that wants to ban beef and meat? Which is what is basically needed going off that cowspiracy show. Going off that we could probably stop using oil and still fry the earth given how much it contributes. 

I don’t think a meat ban is politically viable. A meat tax one day might be. If everyone just reduced their consumption they might still be able to enjoy it once a week or whatever and if demand decreased to that extent the impact of factory farming might start to go into reverse. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

A few people won’t change things alone. But it’s about awareness and influence. That’s how forces for change snowball and take a life of their own - from the ground up.

Well you've seen the documentary, even the organisations that are aware and could influence don't want to fight that battle. We aren't going to turn the world vegetarian so we should focus on adapting instead of fighting a losing battle. We can't even get the world to give tabs up!

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Well you've seen the documentary, even the organisations that are aware and could influence don't want to fight that battle. We aren't going to turn the world vegetarian so we should focus on adapting instead of fighting a losing battle. We can't even get the world to give tabs up!

The tobacco industry is dying dude. It’ll be pretty much gone in a couple of generations. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think a meat ban is politically viable. A meat tax one day might be. If everyone just reduced their consumption they might still be able to enjoy it once a week or whatever and if demand decreased to that extent the impact of factory farming might start to go into reverse. 

Turning meat into a privileged luxury isn't politically viable either. Nor is a meat tax going to save the planet, in the same way that making my car tax £550 hasn't - when the combustion engine was the in thing to scapegoat 

Well, the way we’re going isn’t sustainable so something is going to have to change at some point. I suspect something as drastic as a meat tax might eventually be enforced but probably long after we pass the tipping point. 

Turning meat into a privileged luxury isn't politically viable either. Nor is a meat tax going to save the planet, in the same way that making my car tax £550 hasn't - when the combustion engine was the in thing to scapegoat 

No but banning combustion engines might. Which most countries have now done over the next 20 years ;)