GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

No but banning combustion engines might. Which most countries have now done over the next 20 years ;)

Targeting the wrong industry if Cowspiracy is to be believed. The illusion of doing something whilst the real problems rumble on, that's why we won't be reversing global warming

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Targeting the wrong industry if Cowspiracy is to be believed. The illusion of doing something whilst the real problems rumble on, that's why we won't be reversing global warming

Aah, so you've watched a Netflix documentary and now you're an expert. Are you sure you aren't related to CT?

Food labelling could be the way. If we all saw the extent to the c02 emissions on each item of food we buy, consumers might think more carefully about how much animal produce they go through.

39 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Food labelling could be the way. If we all saw the extent to the c02 emissions on each item of food we buy, consumers might think more carefully about how much animal produce they go through.

Is that going to work for the millions of impoverished people or will they only care about getting something to eat at all?

Targeting a small group of people with a social conscience that have enough money to act upon it isn't going to make much difference

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

A plant-based diet is way more affordable  than buying meat every week, surely? It takes a little more effort to prepare perhaps, but it has to be cheaper. 

At least food labelling would allow consumers to make an informed choice. And yeah, if might take an educated, middle class movement to get things rolling. 

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

A plant-based diet is way more affordable  than buying meat every week, surely? It takes a little more effort to prepare perhaps, but it has to be cheaper. 

At least food labelling would allow consumers to make an informed choice. And yeah, if might take an educated, middle class movement to get things rolling. 

You might be able to make it palatable for a little while with your middle class spice rack but the overwhelming majority will think of a plant based diet as grim. It just isn't going to take off. I'm as concerned as everyone else and even I would sacrifice Holland before I gave up meat. We need realistic solutions and I think expecting the world to give up on meat or even to make drastic cutbacks isn't that attainable. Perhaps focusing on more eco friendly meats is the way forward, but cowspiracy didn't give us that option because it was hardcore vegan propaganda. :)

30 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

You might be able to make it palatable for a little while with your middle class spice rack but the overwhelming majority will think of a plant based diet as grim. It just isn't going to take off. I'm as concerned as everyone else and even I would sacrifice Holland before I gave up meat. We need realistic solutions and I think expecting the world to give up on meat or even to make drastic cutbacks isn't that attainable. Perhaps focusing on more eco friendly meats is the way forward, but cowspiracy didn't give us that option because it was hardcore vegan propaganda. :)

The filmmaker pushed a narrative, I agree, I think calling it propaganda is harsh. Most of the figures quoted are widely accepted. The numbers are out there for all to see. . There was only one stat from the one study that wasn’t peer reviewed that was widely disputed.

the film raised awareness around an important issue. Animal agriculture is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the combined exhaust fumes from all forms of transport. We’ve got to take it seriously.

I don’t think the takeaway was we all have to go vegan but we do all have to consumer fewer animal products.

Voting isn’t futile. I do live in a German federal state that was governed by conservatives for ages. It’s also where a vast majority of the major global players of the car industry are based (Mercedes, Porsche, Bosch).

Still, its the Green Party that is the ruling party down here nowadays and protecting  the environment has become one of the most important political issues.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I typed in Newcastle upon Tyne.

https://choices.climatecentral.org/#12/54.9785/-1.6186?compare=temperatures&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=warming-4&scenario-b=warming-2

Developed by Climate Central, an independent organisation of leading scientists and journalists, the interactive tool known as Surging Seas allows users to input their hometown and observe the impact a rise in temperature could have on sea levels.

Areas marked in blue could be underwater in the event of a 2C rise in temperatures according to Climate Central.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...