GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

Aye, we are absolutely fucked. I’ve been reading through this thread and I find the “well you’re not doing much so don’t complain” argument to be fucking hilarious. We need worldwide action on this otherwise it’s futile. CT and people of his ilk can kick up as much as they want because someone will use plastic then complain about climate change but individuals are utterly powerless here. 

Its fine though we can just ignore it and discuss the important issues, like building a random wall across a border, or having Britain close itself off from Europe for some apparent reason that no one is really able to give a proper actual positive for, instead of the looming mass extinction of possibly everything on the planet. Aye that last sentence may seem strong but it’s essentially what this will result in if this bunch of knuckle heads remain in charge. I agree though, sweet fuck all will change as long as total fucking TWATS want to push for some of the above items instead of focusing on what matters, and politicians will always aim to sweep up the easy votes rather than try and promote a worthy cause. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was watching the end of Ride London yesterday.  As the riders were getting closer into London you could see the smog from helicopter shots.  As they started to sprint the camera went to a long view down the finishing straight again you could hardly see the riders because of smog.

But hey, lets put our heads in the sand.

The air in most urban areas in the UK is appealing and generally above legal levels of pollution - London is by far the worst. It’s absolutely shocking down here. It’s an unfortunate legacy of Gordon Brown decision to incentivise people to buy diesel cars.

Mrs G has taken to carrying around a pollution monitor around with her and there is no escape from it. Even away from the main roads, in our local parks, the levels of NOx and particulate matter in the air is toxic. 

The target to turn the bus fleet all electric by 2037 is nowhere near fast enough. And still only 10% of the London taxi fleet is electric. Generations of kids are breathing in this filth, many will end up with reduced lung capacity of 10%, bronchitis, asthma or worse. The government should take the lead on this, introduce a proper carbon tax, incentivise people to buy electric cars now, not in 20 years time. Maybe they’re thinking Brexit might finally be sorted by then so people might only then start waking up to this. 

We are seriously considering moving out to the sticks, even though i’d miss city life massively. Feels unfair on the kids. Just have to weigh that up against a small part of my soul dying every day if we do end up in a commuter belt village somewhere in the Home Counties.

24 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The air in most urban areas in the UK is appealing and generally above legal levels of pollution - London is by far the worst. It’s absolutely shocking down here. It’s an unfortunate legacy of Gordon Brown decision to incentivise people to buy diesel cars.

Mrs G has taken to carrying around a pollution monitor around with her and there is no escape from it. Even away from the main roads, in our local parks, the levels of NOx and particulate matter in the air is toxic. 

The target to turn the bus fleet all electric by 2037 is nowhere near fast enough. And still only 10% of the London taxi fleet is electric. Generations of kids are breathing in this filth, many will end up with reduced lung capacity of 10%, bronchitis, asthma or worse. The government should take the lead on this, introduce a proper carbon tax, incentivise people to buy electric cars now, not in 20 years time. Maybe they’re thinking Brexit might finally be sorted by then so people might only then start waking up to this. 

We are seriously considering moving out to the sticks, even though i’d miss city life massively. Feels unfair on the kids. Just have to weigh that up against a small part of my soul dying every day if we do end up in a commuter belt village somewhere in the Home Counties.

Jesus that's mad.

Leeds is starting to get just as bad on some days, thankfully I dont go into the centre that much where it's the worse.

At least in London you have public transport.  Up North we have 'public transport'  AKA Busses which really are Taxis.  They're not subsidised like in London so are expensive taxis really.  

• 1 month later...

This is a depressing read. 

Climate change: Electrical industry's 'dirty secret' boosts warming https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197

…the significant downside to using the gas is that it has the highest global warming potential of any known substance. It is 23,500 times more warming than carbon dioxide (CO2). 

Just one kilogram of SF6 warms the Earth to the same extent as 24 people flying London to New York return.  
It also persists in the atmosphere for a long time, warming the Earth for at least 1,000 years.…

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever good they may or may not ultimately achieve, XR and Greta have turned out to be brilliant tools for quickly identifying the kind of people whose opinions on absolutely everything are safe to ignore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...