GLOBAL WARMING

AgentAxeman

What evidence do the doom and gloom mongers present to support their argument that global warming is taking place? Well, they say that the Arctic ice is at its lowest level for thousands of years. This has led to the Northwest Passage in Canada becoming free of ice. The problem with this is that the Northwest Passage was open in the 19th century and in the 1930s. The Canadian government is about to launch a search operation for two British ships, captained by Sir John Franklin, with 128 men on board, which sank in an attempt to sail through the Passage in 1845-48.

Then there is the problem of carbon dioxide (CO2). Mankind produces about 4 per cent of the atmospheric CO2 in any given year. The natural variation in CO2 is higher than the total CO2 production of humankind. There is no evidence that CO2 causes temperatures to rise. Indeed, the evidence points to elevated temperatures raising CO2.

I'm pretty sure that last paragraph is an outright lie that climate change deniers love to spout.

As for the NW passage, isn't the change that it will now be open even in winter?

At the end of the day, none of us on this board has a clue about climatology so it's all a matter of who you choose to believe. Do you believe the vast majority of climatologist scientists (many of whom are independent), or do you choose to believe the small minority of scientists (usually oil company sponsored), Jeremy Clarkson, and various internet nut jobs? I know who I have faith in.

I don't think there is any such thing as an independant scientist.

It is a given now after a decade of revelations about data manipulations, that the AGW brigade are bancrupt.

IMO the biggest danger to us is over population and it might be money better spend looking into this.

You're not a scientist and have never worked with scientists, so I'll take your view with a pinch of salt. Needless to say I strongly disagree (I consider myself independent).

Overpopulation is a huge problem but is due to political, economical, and religious reasons. Good luck on solving that problem with money.

Global Warming will solve it for us anyway.

What evidence do the doom and gloom mongers present to support their argument that global warming is taking place? Well, they say that the Arctic ice is at its lowest level for thousands of years. This has led to the Northwest Passage in Canada becoming free of ice. The problem with this is that the Northwest Passage was open in the 19th century and in the 1930s. The Canadian government is about to launch a search operation for two British ships, captained by Sir John Franklin, with 128 men on board, which sank in an attempt to sail through the Passage in 1845-48.

Then there is the problem of carbon dioxide (CO2). Mankind produces about 4 per cent of the atmospheric CO2 in any given year. The natural variation in CO2 is higher than the total CO2 production of humankind. There is no evidence that CO2 causes temperatures to rise. Indeed, the evidence points to elevated temperatures raising CO2.

I'm pretty sure that last paragraph is an outright lie that climate change deniers love to spout.

As for the NW passage, isn't the change that it will now be open even in winter?

At the end of the day, none of us on this board has a clue about climatology so it's all a matter of who you choose to believe. Do you believe the vast majority of climatologist scientists (many of whom are independent), or do you choose to believe the small minority of scientists (usually oil company sponsored), Jeremy Clarkson, and various internet nut jobs? I know who I have faith in.

It is a given now after a decade of revelations about data manipulations, that the AGW brigade are bancrupt.

IMO the biggest danger to us is over population and it might be money better spend looking into this.

You're not a scientist and have never worked with scientists, so I'll take your view with a pinch of salt. Needless to say I strongly disagree (I consider myself independent).

Overpopulation is a huge problem but is due to political, economical, and religious reasons. Good luck on solving that problem with money.

So it is the planet after all? :D

So it is the planet after all? :D

No, we just don't need to invest MORE money in warming the globe. We're doing a fine job as it is.

Anyone read Flood by Stephen Baxter?

The premise is that a catalysmic amount of water in the mantle is released into the oceans and over the next 40 or 50 years the entire landmass is enveloped.

The scramble for resources in terms of the higher ground etc makes an interesting story - it fades a bit before the end but there is a sequel out which I'll be reading.

Anyone read Flood by Stephen Baxter?

The premise is that a catalysmic amount of water in the mantle is released into the oceans and over the next 40 or 50 years the entire landmass is enveloped.

The scramble for resources in terms of the higher ground etc makes an interesting story - it fades a bit before the end but there is a sequel out which I'll be reading.

I take it that is pure fiction then. Hope it's better than Water World!

Stolen from the Guardian comments:

I still fail to see the existence of these multi-billion dollar enviro-corps that are intent on taking our money for no good reason? Yes there are some (underfunded, understaffed) not-for profit insititutions working in the field. Some struggling start-ups and even a couple of medium sized companies that are doing some good work in renewables and (gasp!) maybe beginning to show some profit.

But these groups pale into comparison with the petro-chemical economies that are run by BP, Exxon, Shell, and that thrive by spreading dis-information and backhanders through governments and countries worldwide at the expense of the populace and the planet.

Spot on.

Parky must be split on this one. He is normally against big companies like Exxon but at the same time he just can't resist taking the contrary position to the orthodoxy. The conspiracy theory bit was obviously the clincher for him though.

Parky must be split on this one. He is normally against big companies like Exxon but at the same time he just can't resist taking the contrary position to the orthodoxy. The conspiracy theory bit was obviously the clincher for him though.

I takes it as I finds it baby. Now where's my backhander?!! :D

I was saying there was water on the moon years ago btw.

Ask any do-greener to list the worst 5 things that will happen in the next 100 years to the Uk and then you realise this is money wasted and why the average Joe doesn't care about this at all.

Awaits top 5 lists....

IF there is a case for AGB and there is some scant indicators the weather patterns are changing, even if this IS true, nothing will happen of any significance for about 200 years....So really...Stop worrying about it, by then we'll be living on Mars or summat. :D

I wasn't aware there was some global conspiracy to cover up the fact there is water on the moon?

I wasn't aware there was some global conspiracy to cover up the fact there is water on the moon?

There was some discussion at the time about landing one of the Apollo missions near a crater that had an area that was permanently in shade to see if water was present so it's hardly a radical idea. Parky reckons men never went to the Moon like.

There was some discussion at the time about landing one of the Apollo missions near a crater that had an area that was permanently in shade to see if water was present so it's hardly a radical idea. Parky reckons men never went to the Moon like.

Is this conclusive enough for him? Or were those tracks made by 1960s robots? :D

369236main_lroc_apollo14labeled_522x256.jpg

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...91019162929.htm

interesting article, new evidence we're fucking things up

"The 20th century is the only period during the past 200 millennia in which aquatic indicators reflect increased warming, despite the declining effect of slow changes in the tilt of the Earth's axis which, under natural conditions, would lead to climatic cooling," notes the University of Colorado's Dr. Axford.

The ancient lake sediment cores are the oldest ever recovered from glaciated parts of Canada or Greenland. Massive ice sheets during ice ages generally scour the underlying bedrock and remove previous sediments.

Edited by tooner

All of the stuff listed in the link below is either made up by unscrupulous scientists (known for being self serving cunts, unlike your average oil baron) or merely coincidental. Glaciers are definitely being melted by political hot air.

http://www.climatehotmap.org/

Looks like a Risk board...means nothing.

I could knock up a map that shows global cooling, but will I get a fat grant for it.......

*Phones Exxon

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...91019162929.htm

interesting article, new evidence we're fucking things up

"The 20th century is the only period during the past 200 millennia in which aquatic indicators reflect increased warming, despite the declining effect of slow changes in the tilt of the Earth's axis which, under natural conditions, would lead to climatic cooling," notes the University of Colorado's Dr. Axford.

The ancient lake sediment cores are the oldest ever recovered from glaciated parts of Canada or Greenland. Massive ice sheets during ice ages generally scour the underlying bedrock and remove previous sediments.

But this basically says that some midgies that used to be abundant are now declining......

Means nothing really. They might do this every 7000 years as the earth warms and cools naturally.

Its this sort of scientific crap that annoys me. Probably costs hundreds of thousands to find out as well.

Until one of the Presidents assistants agrees to speak to the geeky scientist who has just got off a plane with new data or untill Jeremy from Sky news is sent somewhere to cover the breaking climate change story then it is all bollox.

it says that there is proof, within the layers of sediment, that the earth would be in a period of cooling.

instead we are warming the planet up, at our own peril.......the reason this is a big deal is that most lake beds have been scoured by the glacial process and don't offer as much data of the past climatic conditions.

this data goes back 80,000 years further then was previously possible.......but you're right it's probably nothing

• 4 weeks later...