PNE 0-1 NUFC

Matty

Going to see Ian Brown in Dublin tonight so I'll miss this one :icon_lol:

0-1 Nolan.

Always happens when I don't bet on it.

Great night :D

Going to see Ian Brown in Dublin tonight so I'll miss this one :puke:

0-1 Nolan.

Preston 0 Newcastle 1 tonight. Similar pattern to the Sheff Utd game I think, a desperate first half, and a more driven, motivated toon stepping it up to take the points.

:D

Did you have a bet?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking this morning how little pleasure I get out of football now. Beating shit teams is all well and good but theres just so little to get in anyway excited about and that's not going to change given that the only "light" on the horizon is the return of Shola fucking Ameobi.

As regarding Gutteriez I'll reiterate my long standing point - any "professional" player who can't hit the target from in and around the 18 yard box on a regular basis should be sacked - Hughton should have walked on to the pitch at full time and handed the cunt his P45.

I was just thinking this morning how little pleasure I get out of football now. Beating shit teams is all well and good but theres just so little to get in anyway excited about and that's not going to change given that the only "light" on the horizon is the return of Shola fucking Ameobi.

Aye, I know what you mean like.

jonas is a weird one. his pace and dribbling is a great outlet and he scares fullbacks when he runs at them but whenever he gets into the final third he either gives it away cheaply with a powder puff cross/pass or balloons it into row z.

Can anyone tell me what Jonas does in training every day... Holy shit it's not rocket science?

Get the fucker practicing crossing the ball and shooting all day every day!

I used to say the same about Andy Cole and heading - coaches have a lot to answer for imo.

Only saw the first half, but Carroll was clearly struggling with his illness. He wasn't running as much as he normally does. Enrique was fantastic. Was worried seeing Moyes there-he was linked with Saylor during the summer, wasn't he?

I'm not worried about Saylor, Alan Irvine was Moyes's assistant at Everton, maybe that's the reason for his appearance.

Can anyone tell me what Jonas does in training every day... Holy shit it's not rocket science?

Get the fucker practicing crossing the ball and shooting all day every day!

I used to say the same about Andy Cole and heading - coaches have a lot to answer for imo.

He's 26, not 14. It's a bit late to be ironing out basic flaws like that.

Going to see Ian Brown in Dublin tonight so I'll miss this one :icon_lol:

0-1 Nolan.

Always happens when I don't bet on it.

Great night :D

Going to see Ian Brown in Dublin tonight so I'll miss this one :puke:

0-1 Nolan.

Preston 0 Newcastle 1 tonight. Similar pattern to the Sheff Utd game I think, a desperate first half, and a more driven, motivated toon stepping it up to take the points.

Did you have a bet?

Just a cheeky 20 on us to win, by the time I put it on was 11/10 from 11/8.

We’re Chelsea-ing this league lads. No-one likes us, we’ve an insurmountable defence in this competition, our midfield is providing more goals than our front line, most of our goals are coming from our fat “attacking” midfielder who shouldn’t be played in the same team as Gerrard, we’re not playing attractive football but we’re winning...

To be honest last night hammers home the fact that the gap between The Premier League and the Championship is huge. Preston aren’t a bad 2nd division side, it’s just that we’re still waddling around with a few 1st division players. Enrique is the best Left Back in the league, and while Taylor is certainly the best Centre Half, even Colo has got to be top five. In Nolan, Smith, Guthrie, and Barton we’ve four midfielders that would be a 1st team starter for any other team in this league and in many cases be their 1st name on the team sheet. Gutierrez has got pace and guile but no end product, but in this league simply winning a corner or a free kick or a throw in the final third is an end product; how many of our goals seems to come as a result of dead balls? There were flashes of genuine quality, moments where you thought “oh here we go, 2nd gear”, the passing between our players when they’re in synch is evidently better than our compatriots in this league and our defenders can look like titans wading through grass when the mood takes. And yet, despite all this is for damned sure, our team would be torn asunder by all but the very weakest in the premiership.

Mellor was profligate of the few half chances that did fall to Preston, their defence would have been troubled by an inch of pace or strike of guile and while  Chaplow and Tonge seemed to have more possession and more influence, in truth it looks like we allowed them possession until they broached a pre-determined area. They weren’t a bad side and their endeavour down the wing would have definitely worried a lesser back four. I think they played the more pleasing football, but our defence was too strong for them.

It’s obvious that with a decent attacking midfielder or even just a good Right Winger, our style of play would change from grind-house workman-like 1-0 away victories, into more enjoyable football. However, if it’s working, why change it?

Harper

Simpson/Raylor Coloccini Saylor Enrique

Raylor/Pancrate Smith Nolan Jonas

Ameobi Carroll

That’s a very good Championship side and if we were able to sell Smith or Nolan, I’ve faith in Barton and Guthrie (in this league). With kids like Kadar, Ranger, LuaLua giving our team the appearance of depth, we won’t be destroyed if two of the four midfielders left.

What terrifies me are the noises coming for the sportsdirect.com@St James’ Park (God how I hate that). Houghton repeats he’s only planning for promotion and nothing after that. Well the thing with that is this: The team that gets you up can’t keep you up.

Certainly  given our owner’s allergic reaction to actually buying a player and there’s no way Taylor, Enrique et al will endure the second (inevitable) relegation.

I dunno, but off the back of that win and more importantly that “performance” I’m pretty certain we’ll be promoted as champions and I’m convinced we’ll sink straight back down like a concrete shoed Mafia snitch unless huge changes affect our club.

Only saw the first half, but Carroll was clearly struggling with his illness. He wasn't running as much as he normally does. Enrique was fantastic. Was worried seeing Moyes there-he was linked with Saylor during the summer, wasn't he?

I'm not worried about Saylor, Alan Irvine was Moyes's assistant at Everton, maybe that's the reason for his appearance.

and Moyes' first managment job was at preston as player manager having played there for quite a long time, he attends their games fairly often

What terrifies me are the noises coming for the sportsdirect.com@St James’ Park (God how I hate that). Houghton repeats he’s only planning for promotion and nothing after that. Well the thing with that is this: The team that gets you up can’t keep you up.

The only thing which gives me a modicum of hope is the notion he's planning for promotion and nothing more because Ashley is going to make a serious effort to offload the club in the event of promotion.

Doubt it though :D

We’re Chelsea-ing this league lads. No-one likes us, we’ve an insurmountable defence in this competition, our midfield is providing more goals than our front line, most of our goals are coming from our fat “attacking” midfielder who shouldn’t be played in the same team as Gerrard, we’re not playing attractive football but we’re winning...

To be honest last night hammers home the fact that the gap between The Premier League and the Championship is huge. Preston aren’t a bad 2nd division side, it’s just that we’re still waddling around with a few 1st division players. Enrique is the best Left Back in the league, and while Taylor is certainly the best Centre Half, even Colo has got to be top five. In Nolan, Smith, Guthrie, and Barton we’ve four midfielders that would be a 1st team starter for any other team in this league and in many cases be their 1st name on the team sheet. Gutierrez has got pace and guile but no end product, but in this league simply winning a corner or a free kick or a throw in the final third is an end product; how many of our goals seems to come as a result of dead balls? There were flashes of genuine quality, moments where you thought “oh here we go, 2nd gear”, the passing between our players when they’re in synch is evidently better than our compatriots in this league and our defenders can look like titans wading through grass when the mood takes. And yet, despite all this is for damned sure, our team would be torn asunder by all but the very weakest in the premiership.

Mellor was profligate of the few half chances that did fall to Preston, their defence would have been troubled by an inch of pace or strike of guile and while  Chaplow and Tonge seemed to have more possession and more influence, in truth it looks like we allowed them possession until they broached a pre-determined area. They weren’t a bad side and their endeavour down the wing would have definitely worried a lesser back four. I think they played the more pleasing football, but our defence was too strong for them.

It’s obvious that with a decent attacking midfielder or even just a good Right Winger, our style of play would change from grind-house workman-like 1-0 away victories, into more enjoyable football. However, if it’s working, why change it?

Harper

Simpson/Raylor Coloccini Saylor Enrique

Raylor/Pancrate Smith Nolan Jonas

Ameobi Carroll

That’s a very good Championship side and if we were able to sell Smith or Nolan, I’ve faith in Barton and Guthrie (in this league). With kids like Kadar, Ranger, LuaLua giving our team the appearance of depth, we won’t be destroyed if two of the four midfielders left.

Certainly  given our owner’s allergic reaction to actually buying a player and there’s no way Taylor, Enrique et al will endure the second (inevitable) relegation.

I dunno, but off the back of that win and more importantly that “performance” I’m pretty certain we’ll be promoted as champions and I’m convinced we’ll sink straight back down like a concrete shoed Mafia snitch unless huge changes affect our club.

There's no long term plan, I think that's a given, the attitude is if we go up we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. When it does happen I think we'll be called Bosman City FC. To be fair some canny potential bosmans next season: Kuranyi, Hitzlsperger, Scharner, Kallstrom, Adam Johnson etc...

Canny assessment there Fish - what does give me a tinge of hope for this season is that we have coped with a few injuries which I though would fuck us quite well so far.

As for the point about promotion or bust - as I've said before another summer of attempted sales with a last minute decision to stay on the cheap is what I really fear - that would set us back years.

We are top of the league, there are only two teams in the four divisions with a better defensive record :D . and Ive never felt so dejected or hopeless about the future.

Five things I wouldn't have believed possible two years ago today.

• Chris Hughton would be our manager in two years time
  • Shola would be one of the best players at the club
  • We'd play and lose to Scunthorpe, Blackpool, Peterborough and Nottingham Forest in the same season
  • Manchester City would be perceived as a bigger club
  • We'd be loaning Marlon Harewood

Promotion is pointless unless Ashley sells the club, and that begs the question why, seeing as there are no takers at a reported 80mill with good odds on promotion being acheived this season,would anyone pay well over the 100mill the fat bastard will undoubtedly ask for next summer should we have something to celebrate in May? The correct time to buy NUFC is NOW, before the window opens in January and before we are if/when etc promoted.

I'm not holding my breath on that one though :D

The lack of goals coming from the front men worries me for the 2nd half of the season.

I hate the fact we're relying on the midfield to score, most promoted clubs have had a striker who scores for fun.

Think Carroll will get better and better though the more games he starts, throws himself about, holds the ball up well and is good in the air, pity we didn't have a pacey decent finisher to go along with him.

Don't be worried, we are definitely going up, and Alex will be a lot richer iirc, it won't be pretty, but we'll actually win it comfortably. Six points from third now, and Leicester may be play off hopefuls, but I can't see them challenging. Six points, and that could be 12 by the time Watford are beaten.

The lack of goals coming from the front men worries me for the 2nd half of the season.

I hate the fact we're relying on the midfield to score, most promoted clubs have had a striker who scores for fun.

Think Carroll will get better and better though the more games he starts, throws himself about, holds the ball up well and is good in the air, pity we didn't have a pacey decent finisher to go along with him.

Caroll is good in the air but holds the ball up well? I don't think so. I can't see him being anything but a bit of a clogger tbh and will be nowhere near good enough for the premiership should we get promoted. Ranger is a better hope, couldn't help thinking he looks like a girl last night though.

West Brom are the only team I see challenging our place and even then it'd be us losing focus and stumbling, rather than finding ourselves bested by a team from this league.

Looking at the next 8 games it's hard to see a game where we will fail to get at least a point.

Don't rule out Leicester. Mandaric has thrown a lot of money at them and won't be averse to bolstering the squad in January, whereas we'll be looking to ship out any player we get a decent offer for.

If we can retain (or even strengthen) our squad in January then we should be OK. We haven't had a widespread injury crisis as yet and we'll have to hope that holds out until the end of the season.

West Brom are the only team I see challenging our place and even then it'd be us losing focus and stumbling, rather than finding ourselves bested by a team from this league.

Looking at the next 8 games it's hard to see a game where we will fail to get at least a point.

What did you expect before Blackpool, Scunthorpe and Forest though?

A couple of injuries to key players and we know we struggle. I think we will go up though, but with the current situation frankly I hardly care. What a change from 1992-93.

Tbf to Ameobi (I know!) but didn't he score 5 goals in 4 games or something like that before he got injured?

Hate to say it, but at this level, he is our goalscorer.

Carroll has 4 goals to his name, and Nolan, our obvious top scorer with 9.

Aslong as we keep the way we're playing with away games, aka still getting points and playing the football at home, then I'm sure it won't, or shouldn't be a problem for the 2nd half of the season. Unless of course Ashley dismantles this team apart in Jan because of offers from other clubs.