PNE 0-1 NUFC

Matty

Job done away from home but not a game you'd want to sit through again!

Enrique was class as usual, you don't really need to say it anymore its just a given. Smith did his job well, i thought Simpson had a good game and Nolan scored the winner so fair play there.

The midfield as a whole created very little and Carrol due to sickness and Harewood due to being Harewood didn't offer much with Jonas showing his usual full range from good and awful. His pace and running causes defences big problems and relieves alot of pressure on our defence and he covered a hell of alot of ground for 90 mins, but on the other side his final ball and shooting was shocking most of the time.

Providing January isn't a complete disaster in terms of players sales then there is no reason for us not to be proted as this division is so much worse than i ever thought it could be. With our defence hardly letting any in you have to wonder if Shola had stayed fit would we already be way out in front!!!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbf to Ameobi (I know!) but didn't he score 5 goals in 4 games or something like that before he got injured?

3 in one game against a shit team at home (inc one pen) - of course that's harsh but anyone expecting him to score consistently has been on another planet for the last 10 years.

Can anyone tell me what Jonas does in training every day... Holy shit it's not rocket science?

Get the fucker practicing crossing the ball and shooting all day every day!

I used to say the same about Andy Cole and heading - coaches have a lot to answer for imo.

He's 26, not 14. It's a bit late to be ironing out basic flaws like that.

He plays like a converted full/wing back. That's where I'd play him anyway. Bring the ball out a bit and give it to the wide man to cross etc..

He plays like a converted full/wing back. That's where I'd play him anyway. Bring the ball out a bit and give it to the wide man to cross etc..

Which wide man would that be?

I'm pontificating...Probably a foreign concept to you Ewok.

I still beleive WBA will win it

Don't matter as long as we get up.

I must be the only one that firmly believes West Brom are pure shite. We'll do them here no bother at all.

I'm talking shite...Probably a foreign concept to you Ewok.

:D

I must be the only one that firmly believes West Brom are pure shite. We'll do them here no bother at all.

Seem to be a bit more free-scoring than us...We've become proper grinders.

I'm talking shite...Probably a foreign concept to you Ewok.

:D

He's played full back before and maybe even for the Argies.

We're a better side when he plays LW than when it's someone like Guthrie or Butt playing on the left and he does give us something a bit different. I know he's dead frustrating etc. Also, you wouldn't want to tinker with our back four anyway at present unless you had to.

For all the Marlene and Guthrie doom sayers....have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5bqkpMJ4A

Harewood is crucially involved twice in the build up to the goal,and Guthrie puts a great cross in. Without those two bits of good play theres no goal and it's nowts each at FT. Also Nolan was guilty of giving the ball directly to a Preston player at least 3 times in the centre of the park last night...good job Preston are ultimately wank and couldnt captilise on it.

Maybe we're being hard on Harewood in particular?...is there just a bit of the Shola about him?

West Brom are the only team I see challenging our place and even then it'd be us losing focus and stumbling, rather than finding ourselves bested by a team from this league.

Looking at the next 8 games it's hard to see a game where we will fail to get at least a point.

What did you expect before Blackpool, Scunthorpe and Forest though?

A couple of injuries to key players and we know we struggle. I think we will go up though, but with the current situation frankly I hardly care. What a change from 1992-93.

Fair point.

As in the past, where wins would distract from our failings, this entire season is papering over our paper thin squad. However that paper thin squad should be enough to win this league... On paper

Harewood is crucially involved twice in the build up to the goal,and Guthrie puts a great cross in. Without those two bits of good play theres no goal and it's nowts each at FT. Also Nolan was guilty of giving the ball directly to a Preston player at least 3 times in the centre of the park last night...good job Preston are ultimately wank and couldnt captilise on it.

Maybe we're being hard on Harewood in particular?...is there just a bit of the Shola about him?

Guthrie's got more assists (5 I think) than anyone else at the club despite not starting that many games.

We’re Chelsea-ing this league lads. No-one likes us, we’ve an insurmountable defence in this competition, our midfield is providing more goals than our front line, most of our goals are coming from our fat “attacking” midfielder who shouldn’t be played in the same team as Gerrard, we’re not playing attractive football but we’re winning...

To be honest last night hammers home the fact that the gap between The Premier League and the Championship is huge. Preston aren’t a bad 2nd division side, it’s just that we’re still waddling around with a few 1st division players. Enrique is the best Left Back in the league, and while Taylor is certainly the best Centre Half, even Colo has got to be top five. In Nolan, Smith, Guthrie, and Barton we’ve four midfielders that would be a 1st team starter for any other team in this league and in many cases be their 1st name on the team sheet. Gutierrez has got pace and guile but no end product, but in this league simply winning a corner or a free kick or a throw in the final third is an end product; how many of our goals seems to come as a result of dead balls? There were flashes of genuine quality, moments where you thought “oh here we go, 2nd gear”, the passing between our players when they’re in synch is evidently better than our compatriots in this league and our defenders can look like titans wading through grass when the mood takes. And yet, despite all this is for damned sure, our team would be torn asunder by all but the very weakest in the premiership.

Mellor was profligate of the few half chances that did fall to Preston, their defence would have been troubled by an inch of pace or strike of guile and while  Chaplow and Tonge seemed to have more possession and more influence, in truth it looks like we allowed them possession until they broached a pre-determined area. They weren’t a bad side and their endeavour down the wing would have definitely worried a lesser back four. I think they played the more pleasing football, but our defence was too strong for them.

It’s obvious that with a decent attacking midfielder or even just a good Right Winger, our style of play would change from grind-house workman-like 1-0 away victories, into more enjoyable football. However, if it’s working, why change it?

Harper

Simpson/Raylor Coloccini Saylor Enrique

Raylor/Pancrate Smith Nolan Jonas

Ameobi Carroll

That’s a very good Championship side and if we were able to sell Smith or Nolan, I’ve faith in Barton and Guthrie (in this league). With kids like Kadar, Ranger, LuaLua giving our team the appearance of depth, we won’t be destroyed if two of the four midfielders left.

What terrifies me are the noises coming for the sportsdirect.com@St James’ Park (God how I hate that). Houghton repeats he’s only planning for promotion and nothing after that. Well the thing with that is this: The team that gets you up can’t keep you up.

Certainly  given our owner’s allergic reaction to actually buying a player and there’s no way Taylor, Enrique et al will endure the second (inevitable) relegation.

I dunno, but off the back of that win and more importantly that “performance” I’m pretty certain we’ll be promoted as champions and I’m convinced we’ll sink straight back down like a concrete shoed Mafia snitch unless huge changes affect our club.

There's no long term plan, I think that's a given, the attitude is if we go up we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. When it does happen I think we'll be called Bosman City FC. To be fair some canny potential bosmans next season: Kuranyi, Hitzlsperger, Scharner, Kallstrom, Adam Johnson etc...

bosman freebies@st james park stadium

Guthrie's got more assists (5 I think) than anyone else at the club despite not starting that many games.

5 in 9 isn't it? Next is Carroll by my count with 3

Seem to be a bit more free-scoring than us...We've become proper grinders.

_39077915_cruc_thorburn300.jpg

The 5 is off the Football League site so it's only league games although I can't remember if he got one in the League Cup. According to .com he's started 11 league games + a couple of subs appearances. Pretty good in any case. I'd like to see him play more although you couldn't drop Smith or Nolan at present and he's a bit wasted out wide. I wouldn't be against playing the 3 of them in a match like last night with Nolan having a more free role / playing as a 2nd striker.

The 5 is off the Football League site so it's only league games although I can't remember if he got one in the League Cup. According to .com he's started 11 league games + a couple of subs appearances. Pretty good in any case. I'd like to see him play more although you couldn't drop Smith or Nolan at present and he's a bit wasted out wide. I wouldn't be against playing the 3 of them in a match like last night with Nolan having a more free role / playing as a 2nd striker.

That was shirley the original idea before Raylor dropped out, wasn't it?