Chelsea V Newcastle

Yogic

.........................Given

Carr-....... Talyor .......Boumsong............Babayaro

............Parker .............Emre

Solano ..............................N'Zogbia

.............Shearer............Owen

Thats what I think Souness will put out.

There are a few options, he can go in for a 4-5-1, but that would mean Sherar or Owen on the bench - he wont drop Owen after his Argentina performance and if Sherar is ok from the operation there is no way he would sit this one out either. So i think its a straight forward 4-4-2 with Solano and N'zogbia on the flanks. Luque and Dyer (dont know about his fitness) should be on the bench.

Jose has a few injury problems on his hand, Essien is injured, Drogba is suspsnded and Crespo is injured too (or so it seems).

--------------------------Cech

---Ferreria-----Gallas----------Terry---------Del horno

--------------------------Maka

-------Lampard----------------------Guddy

---Cole-------------------------------------------Duff

--------------------------Crespo

I think Crespo will shake off his injury with the 2nd International but the fact that he returns on Friday and the game is on Sat leaves a doubt over his start. IF he doesnt start we could see Cole get his first start at the Bridge.

Essien has been injured for Ghana, im not sure about the extent of his injury but its on the lines of a hamstring issue (how ironic) - anyway - he is out so Guddy in MF Or he could pull a Geremi and play him since Guddy tends to be a tad unpredictable at times.

Cole and Duff are certain starters with SwP on the bench instead of Robben. The rest of the team picks itself.

-

It will be interesting to have Parker back at the Bridge - I expect him to be the MOM for Newcastle.

Score prediction - 2-0 or 3-1 to us. Lampard to score 1.

Thoughts .. ??

Cheers

Yogic

Lampard is almost a dead cert to score (I might have a look at putting a bet on that one).

I have to admit I'm not confident (not that I ever am away from home). I would have prefered to play Chelski before they lost a game than on the back of losing to Manure.

We would pretty much have to have everyone on top of their game to win this one and I don't think Souness is capable of getting that out of them.

Like ON says, swap Bramble for Taylor.

Shearer will be interesting as I a) Dont know if he'll be ready and even if he is ready, I'm not sure he could do the full 90 after a hernia op - not even with his powers of recovery. Same goes for Carr I suppose although he's had longer to recuperate. Ramage should be on the bench for cover.

We could drop nobby to RB if Carr runs out of steam and bring on Bowyer as RM. I know it's not his best position but Dyer looks doubtful and Milner is unavailable. There's always Brittain I suppose, but I think he'd get ripped against Chelsea and that wont do his confidence any good.

Probably not the most ideal time to try him again, but there's always Chops instead of Ameobi?? Not a bad scoring record at the minute albeit at reserve level.

Edited by maggiespaws

I think we'll probably keep it pretty close for alot of the game, like we did there last season, unfortunately its the part of the game Cheslki look to destroy us that will be the worry!!!

I have no idea what the result will be but i certainly don't see us getting a caning, for some reason!

Luque to start upfront? Could happen IMO.

56691[/snapback]

It's possible, I agree. It's the same situation as Shearer and Carr though - depends on fitness. Certainly, if ready, he is an option. If both he and Shearer are available, I reckon Souness will start with Big Al and see how he gets on as he has established a partnership with Owen. Luque is an option to replace Al, but he's untried with Owen and it may be a bit too much of a gamble in a game like this. For this game, Ameobi may be the safer option.

Still, he might through caution to the wind and try him ;)

When was the last time we won at Stamford Bridge?

56567[/snapback]

95-96?

56575[/snapback]

Before that - I think it was something like 1986/87. Remember that we won 3-1 and that it was one of those years in the 80s when we were absolute shite.

When was the last time we won at Stamford Bridge?

56567[/snapback]

95-96?

56575[/snapback]

Before that - I think it was something like 1986/87. Remember that we won 3-1 and that it was one of those years in the 80s when we were absolute shite.

57153[/snapback]

From .com:

86/87: Won 3-1 Thomas 2, Beardsley

87/88: Drew 2-2 Goddard, Wharton

92/93: Lost 1-2 Lee (League Cup)

93/94: Lost 0-1 No scorer

94/95: Drew 1-1 Hottiger

95/96: Lost 0-1 No scorer

95/96: Drew 1-1 Ferdinand (FA Cup)

96/97: Drew 1-1 Shearer

97/98: Lost 0-1 No scorer

98/99: Drew 1-1 Andersson

99/00: Lost 0-1 No scorer

00/01: Lost 1-3 Bassedas

01/02: Drew 1-1 Acuna

01/02: Lost 0-1 No scorer (League Cup)

02/03: Lost 0-3 No scorer

03/04: Lost 0-5 No scorer

04/05: Lost 0-4 No scorer

Oh dear.

We're due a win then :lol:

57360[/snapback]

;)

The optimistic viewpoint. The pessimistic viewpoint is Oh shit, we're doomed! The realistic viewpoint is somewhere nearer the pessimistic one I think - even Gemmill thinks we'll get gumped.

My first trip to Stamford Bridge. Not only am I probably going to see a defeat, I'm paying nearly £50 for the privilege!

Oh well you never know etc....

We're due a win then :lol:

57360[/snapback]

:razz:

The optimistic viewpoint. The pessimistic viewpoint is Oh shit, we're doomed! The realistic viewpoint is somewhere nearer the pessimistic one I think - even Gemmill thinks we'll get gumped.

My first trip to Stamford Bridge. Not only am I probably going to see a defeat, I'm paying nearly £50 for the privilege!

Oh well you never know etc....

57364[/snapback]

I never said we would win, just that we were due one ;)

Some team news-

Sherar and Luque are out.

For us,

Crespo didnt play Argies last game and wasent even on the bench, but he played V England and was not injured in that game - So I dont know what the deal is, some reports say he is injured and some say hes fit.

Droba is fit but is suspended. Again, records show he has 4 yellows in the PL and 1 in the CL, so he cant really be suspended, but many sites and footy shows say he is suspended - its all too confusing. I think he will play.

Del Horno is back to full fitness, Terry and Gallas are at CTB with Paulo on the right.

Essien had a minor injury which he has reportedly shaken off and should play.

Note - We have a very important Cl tie midweek, away, and keeping that in mind Jose 'might' pick the team accordingly. But I think we are sure to see

cech

ferreria terry gallas del horno

maka

lampard essien

cole drogba duff

Guddy might get a start in MF if Essien is still out.

good luck

Cheers

given

ramage

babayaro

bramble

boumsong

nzogbia

nobby

parker

emre

owen

ameobi

lets hope this is one of those 'big games' that ameobi actually seems to be arsed about playing in and that boumsong can go 90mins without falling over in the box at a crucial moment. fancy us to nick a draw or failing that at least to get a goal or two.