FA Cup 3rd Round Draw

Besty

And next season if we do get promoted then no doubt survival will be the only concern and so it goes on.

The FA Cup still means a hell of a lot to plenty of Newcastle fans, particularly the ones who will no doubt travel in numbers to Plymouth and it should be taken seriously

And you would seriously choose that over getting back into the top flight?

I don't see why its a case of choosing one or the other. But yes without doubt I would take winning the FA Cup over promotion this season. I want to see us win a trophy

At the end of the day, we cannot survive as a proper football club unless we get back into the Premiership this season, to choose 90minutes of glory over the future of the club as we know it is madness.

Thats why everything must be thrown at getting up there and nothing must get in the way of that aim. Distracctions such as the cups are just that, distractions which arent needed.

Until we're sorted out with new owners and a proper structure then cups must go the journey, last year my worry was that it would get in the way of us stopping up, this year it gets in the way of us going back up.

And if we do get promoted next year no doubt you and many others will be saying survival is the priority and so it goes on. Welcome to the world of Bolton and Blackburn, no chance of ever winning a trophy, reserve teams in every cup game, grim premier league survival year after year the only thing that matters.

Not for me thanks. I want promotion and to survive in the premier league but not at the expense of everything else

The FA Cup is a great competition and Newcastle have a great cup tradition - lets keep it that way

I'm not sure if you really get it, mate. We're already below that level. Our aim right now is to get back to it.

We have a thin squad, little to no chance of progressing to any meaningful stage in the cup, an untenable wage bill, and an owner we must shift to survive. We need promotion. Yes, at the expense of everything else.

Something else to consider: since SBR was sacked, wouldn't you say we were already in the 'world of Bolton and Blackburn' that you describe? Save a couple of decent UEFA runs (all right, and the FA cup semis once), we never looked like winning anything (or often even finishing in the top half) and PL survival was an issue in several seasons.

For me and I suspect for most of the thousands of travelling Newcastle fans who follow the team away in the FA Cup, its something to take very seriously, theres nothing in football that beats an away tie with thousands of geordies there.

To me and many others the FA Cup is the real deal, its not an optional extra. I think too many people have fallen for the Sky tv bullshit about the Premier League. I want to be there as much as anyone else but its not the be all and end all.

For me and I suspect for most of the thousands of travelling Newcastle fans who follow the team away in the FA Cup, its something to take very seriously, theres nothing in football that beats an away tie with thousands of geordies there.

To me and many others the FA Cup is the real deal, its not an optional extra. I think too many people have fallen for the Sky tv bullshit about the Premier League. I want to be there as much as anyone else but its not the be all and end all.

Newcastle valuing the FA cup more than the league sounds like a Sky cliche to me.

Personally, I don't think it's winnable so cannot get enthusiastic about it. When's the last time a lower league team won it? Sunderland in 1973?

Newcastle valuing the FA cup more than the league sounds like a Sky cliche to me.

Personally, I don't think it's winnable so cannot get enthusiastic about it. When's the last time a lower league team won it? Sunderland in 1973?

Wist Aym 80

A good cup run may generate some enthusiasm in some multibillionaire somewhere who happens to have a couple of hundred million burning a hole in his pocket. Dropping out in the the 3rd round gets you nowhere.

failing that, there's the equally likely chance of me finding a strange old metal lantern on the way to Plymouth. Giving it a crafty rub, wouldn't you know it- POOF! Out pops the genie.

Give the kids a run out on the South Coast.

Its unfair on the fans that travel the length of the country at great expense to see a weakened team so i agree Hughton should make that clear well in adavance, and i think he may have hinted at it by saying promotion is the priority in an interview somewhere, but fans need to know.

For me, we aren't going to win it, not even close so i wouldn't care if he put out all reserves and kids or a mix of that and the odd first teamer, we may even sneak a win and the likes of Krul, Kadar et al can get another game or 2 experience for us.

I can understand fans saying we need to get back into the premiership but this shouldn't in my opinion be at the expense of the FA Cup, I think Brummiemag is spot on personally. I'll be going to the game I love the FA Cup and always try and get to the third round ties.

It's interesting seeing the reaction of fans against sending a full team squad really, Would people say the same if we got a home tie against Man United? I know I certainly wouldn't I'd want us to go out all guns blazing.

I agree us winning the cup is an absolute long shot and it's never going to happen it's not unrealistic by any stretch of the imagination to have a cup run, not at all. Lower league sides have got far in the competition most noticably in the last couple of years. We should give it a good run.

I went to Coventry v West Brom a couple of years back in the 5th round I think it was, West Brom were in a promotion battle yet still sent a full strength squad to Coventry, they went through to the 6th round and went up that season as Champions. Something we should try and emulate.

We've been handed a winnable tie. We should do the decent thing and go and win it. By all means rest one or two but it should be a as near to full strength as feasibly possible.

I'd consider going to this, but having been to the league cup game at Posh, I'd really want to know before I commited the cash if we were going to try and win it or not.

We've been handed a winnable tie. We should do the decent thing and go and win it. By all means rest one or two but it should be a as near to full strength as feasibly possible.

I'd consider going to this, but having been to the league cup game at Posh, I'd really want to know before I commited the cash if we were going to try and win it or not.

I think i'm gonna go even though its going to cost about £200 all in I think! :razz: As for resting one or two players then fair enough, thats part and parcel of football anyway, players do occasionally need resting. I'm just against a whole team change and playing a completely weakened side like we did at Peterborough

No fucking replays though

Personally I dont think the Premier League is winnable so why get enthusiastic about getting back to it?

Personally I dont think the Premier League is winnable so why get enthusiastic about getting back to it?

economics, simple fact of life.

Don't get into the Prem then you've got zero chance of ever winning anything. If you seriously want to see us lift a cup then getting back into the Premier is stage 1 of the plan.

The alternative is mid table Championship mediocrity because if we're still here next season then there'll be 3 'bigger' teams here as well and they (as we are now) will be better equipped and funded for the fight.

economics, simple fact of life.

Don't get into the Prem then you've got zero chance of ever winning anything. If you seriously want to see us lift a cup then getting back into the Premier is stage 1 of the plan.

The alternative is mid table Championship mediocrity because if we're still here next season then there'll be 3 'bigger' teams here as well and they (as we are now) will be better equipped and funded for the fight.

But if we're promoted, yet again we will play a weakened side in the FA Cup.

I'm not really :razz:

I'm sort of enjoying not being in the Premiership, as I'm less inclined to watch MOTD I don't have to see the all the hype and bullshit and a MASSIVE CONTROVERSY of the likes of Alex Ferguson saying a ref is a bit unfit.

And I'd love us to have an FA Cup run.

I'm sort of enjoying not being in the Premiership, as I'm less inclined to watch MOTD I don't have to see the all the hype and bullshit and a MASSIVE CONTROVERSY of the likes of Alex Ferguson saying a ref is a bit unfit.

And I'd love us to have an FA Cup run.

Got to agree, it's nice to watch us winning games again. It could have been useful to use the cups as a rough shot measure of how the current team would fair against loftier opposition.

I still watch Premiership games and actually find myself enjoying them more; as Portsmouth drawing with Stoke bears no relationship to the success of my team, so I can mock or marvel in equal measure without incessantly glancing at the table and goal difference and wondering how this will screw us over.