RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE FOR CHRISTMAS NO.1

AgentAxeman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The music snobbery on here is grotesque.

Why would 12 year old girls, housewives and gays want to listen to Tool or RATM?

Can you imagine if i started a facebook group to ensure that all of the Kerrang awards went to boybands and novelty acts? It'd be the act of a pathetic loser who should spend more time appreciating his own music collection than denegrating others.

But no, let's ridicule the popular taste, so kids feel like twats for liking something, lose any interest they might have had and don't develop their taste as they mature, but are instead put off for life from the pursuit of happiness through music. Anyone who doesn't pop out of the vagina understanding why Television are better than Busted must be a fucktard that doesn't deserve a musical youth.

Betty Boo doing the doo was the first record I bought.

:( rag week HF?

I'm from South Shields.

Go Joe!! :(

:lol:

Why would 12 year old girls, housewives and gays want to listen to Tool or RATM?

Can you imagine if i started a facebook group to ensure that all of the Kerrang awards went to boybands and novelty acts? It'd be the act of a pathetic loser who should spend more time appreciating his own music collection than denegrating others.

But no, let's ridicule the popular taste, so kids feel like twats for liking something, lose any interest they might have had and don't develop their taste as they mature, but are instead put off for life from the pursuit of happiness through music. Anyone who doesn't pop out of the vagina understanding why Television are better than Busted must be a fucktard that doesn't deserve a musical youth.

Mine was "Snooker Loopy".

And like fuck are "kids" the primary market for any X Factor winner's single. :lol:

Mine was "Snooker Loopy".

And like fuck are "kids" the primary market for any X Factor winner's single. :lol:

I did say housewives and gays too :(

I can't see how anything but a majority audience of under 18's would have kept Jedward, Lloyd or Eoghan Quigg in that long.

I think the mistake you make is assuming that x factor is largely to do with music...its chiefly to do with making Cowell, Fuller and a revenue starved ITV a ton of money.

Apart from that I can't really argue with the points you make, other than Alison Clarkson wrote and recorded all her own material, and indeed produced most of her first album in her bedroom....all this after touring the US with Public Enemy with her first group,late 80s hip hoppers the She Rockers.She was hugely successful and popular and wrote, as you seem to have appreciated,great pop tunes.She also sold millions of records.

Can you spot the differences between Betty Boo and Leona Lewis? I'm in no way a musical snob but Simon Cowell is stopping a 21st century Betty Boo coming through in the same way by saturating the market with a 3 month prime time tv promo campaign before the x factor single is released. He's strangling individuality and creativity at birth for a lot of pop artists, the only outlet for their talents is being lined up in front of a bunch of know nothing twats and possibly being humilated by them in front of 15 mill people on tv.Nice.

Apologies if mentioned before but RATM are signed to Epic who are owned by Sony BMG.

Simon Cowell's record label is also owned (or part owned) by Sony BMG.

Might explain his comments.

Edit: I see this has been covered, humble apologies.

Edited by Missed Sticks

just watched the lad getting interviewed "what do you think of rage against the machines single

"ehhh i've never heard it" and this lads 18... good god.

whoever said about him being gay futher back in the thread, if stereotypes are anything to go by...yes he probably is.

He would have been about 1 when it came out tbf.

just watched the lad getting interviewed "what do you think of rage against the machines single

"ehhh i've never heard it" and this lads 18... good god.

whoever said about him being gay futher back in the thread, if stereotypes are anything to go by...yes he probably is.

He would have been about 1 when it came out tbf.

I've seen Leonard Cohen live, wasn't born when he was producing most of his material, same goes for older movies.

it's not like it's some obscure track someones dusted off, how can you not have heard it somewhere at some stage.. they even toured last year and got a load of coverage sure.

How many 18 year olds are into music that came out when they were 1 year old though? I appreciate it's not an obscure track like although that only makes it more ridiculous it's being used as a protest - i.e. the best known song by a well known group signed to a major label that came out getting on for two decades ago. Gordon Brown's probably thinking about declaring martial law.

Edited by alex

As a gayer who spent his formative years moshing to RATM at the Mayfair, I feel thoroughly conflicted by both Happy Face and Ant's comments. Someone tell me what my opinion should be, dammit. :lol:

Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me.

How many 18 year olds are into music that came out when they were 1 year old though? I appreciate it's not an obscure track like although that only makes it more ridiculous it's being used as a protest - i.e. the best known song by a well known group signed to a major label releasing a song that came out getting on for two decades ago. Gordon Brown's probably thinking about declaring martial law.

Of course it's ridiculous. That's what the Christmas number one should be, and that's what makes it so inspired. :lol: Whether the originators of the campaign realise it or not, they've stumbled across the greatest irony of the whole thing - what better way to send up a cover of a bland song by a manufactured singer than to encourage the purchase of a pseudo-anthem to rebellion backed by a massive corporate machine? It makes the fight a zero-sum game for the punter - choose your horse, ride with it and have your fun. It's Christmas time and there's no need to be uptight. :(

How many 18 year olds are into music that came out when they were 1 year old though? I appreciate it's not an obscure track like although that only makes it more ridiculous it's being used as a protest - i.e. the best known song by a well known group signed to a major label releasing a song that came out getting on for two decades ago. Gordon Brown's probably thinking about declaring martial law.

Of course it's ridiculous. That's what the Christmas number one should be, and that's what makes it so inspired. :lol: Whether the originators of the campaign realise it or not, they've stumbled across the greatest irony of the whole thing - what better way to send up a cover of a bland song by a manufactured singer than to encourage the purchase of a pseudo-anthem to rebellion backed by a massive corporate machine? It makes the fight a zero-sum game for the punter - choose your horse, ride with it and have your fun. It's Christmas time and there's no need to be uptight. :(

Should've been 'Ernie - the Fastest Milkman in the West' tbh.

Whichever track makes it to number 1, it won't be worse than the effort we got in 1993. Meatloaf was extremely pissed about it IIRC.

Of course it's ridiculous. That's what the Christmas number one should be, and that's what makes it so inspired. :( Whether the originators of the campaign realise it or not, they've stumbled across the greatest irony of the whole thing - what better way to send up a cover of a bland song by a manufactured singer than to encourage the purchase of a pseudo-anthem to rebellion backed by a massive corporate machine? It makes the fight a zero-sum game for the punter - choose your horse, ride with it and have your fun. It's Christmas time and there's no need to be uptight. :(

Should've been 'Ernie - the Fastest Milkman in the West' tbh.

:lol: I'd have bought that too. But it did need to be something with OMG REBELLION VALUE to have any hope of unseating an X Factor winner. Joe will walk away with it now the physical single's on sale, but - for all I'd rather a properly indie artist had benefited from the whole thing - at least people had a stab at upsetting the applecart. It's what we do as good and proper Brits. <_<

Of course it's ridiculous. That's what the Christmas number one should be, and that's what makes it so inspired. :( Whether the originators of the campaign realise it or not, they've stumbled across the greatest irony of the whole thing - what better way to send up a cover of a bland song by a manufactured singer than to encourage the purchase of a pseudo-anthem to rebellion backed by a massive corporate machine? It makes the fight a zero-sum game for the punter - choose your horse, ride with it and have your fun. It's Christmas time and there's no need to be uptight. :(

Whichever track makes it to number 1, it won't be worse than the effort we got in 1993. Meatloaf was extremely pissed about it IIRC.

My heart fucking bleeds for him. Like "I'd Do Anything For Love" would have been infinitely more credible than Take That or Mr. Blobby. :lol:

My heart fucking bleeds for him. Like "I'd Do Anything For Love" would have been infinitely more credible than Take That or Mr. Blobby. :lol:

He referred to Mr Blobby as a "fat and shit" I seem to remember....

pot-and-kettle1.jpg