RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE FOR CHRISTMAS NO.1

AgentAxeman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt the point being proved by getting Rage to no 1 only cementing the fact that the charts are shite and mean fuck all? XFactor would only have got to no 1 by using a collective force organised to do such. IE X-Factor fans. How many people who do not watch the show do you think would have actually bought the song for its musical quality? Same as Rage. Not to say its not a good track, but all that is happened is that one collective has prevented another getting to no 1. Those whole thing it shrouded in irony imo.

As you might tell, I dont care for the charts. Ive never been one to think it was a mark of quality, or even popularity. People buying multiple versions of a single to enhance its status?

I dont think it is about rage against the machine and joe mcelderry, for me it is about free thinking music against simon cowell's monopoly of our charts through HIS bullying and HIS views of how music should be produced.

I do agree in a way, but then not :( Cowell produces music for the screaming masses. Its pop music as its always been and will be. In a way I'd like to say its not for the true music lover, but then who am I to judge? What makes my preference in music any more worthwhile than that of the 15yr old X-Factor watcher who likes "pop". I couldnt help but give a wry smile when I found out. that said, I think the lad from X-Factor seems decent enough and I wish him well, I personally think he'll do well on stage rather than in the charts. Ho hum.

It's not about anything really. It's a few hundred thousand people trying to have a laugh at the expense of the few who still think the charts matter as a marker of talent and that's it.

spot on!

means nowt at the end of the day. but im still pleased that music written with integrity is the chrimbo no.1.

TODAY - CHRIMBO No.1

TOMORROW - THE WORLD!!!1!!!111""!23213`1`!!!

:(

http://www.joemcelderry.com/index.php?PHPS...mp;topic=1227.0

Ossum <_<

p.s. the only thing more depressing than 450,000 (or how ever many) people buying a conveyor belt pop p.o.s. it the 450,001 people buying a Rage song to be winners of an irrelevant chart. The pop charts have been so out of synch with what's actually contemporary since pretty much their inception. It's rare that tunes with originality and integrity also strike a chord with the 14yr old girls who still pay for CD singles. And the only thing more depressing than these is the fact I just wasted time typing this out. :(

Edited by The Fish

means nowt at the end of the day. but im still pleased that music written with integrity is the chrimbo no.1.

Aye, it's fantastic that we have RATM at No.1 after people bought it because they were told to by some guys on Facebook, rather than people buying Joe's CD because Simon Cowell told them to on Xfactor.

Either way it means fuck all and whatever was No.1 was only going to be so due to media and campaigning, so absolutely nothing has changed.

Am I right in thinking they've bought sold loads more than a Christmas no. 1 normally would. I bet Cowell's gutted. Especially given all the extra publicity. Fair play for RATM getting to no. 1 though. Bit of a giggle.

Am I right in thinking they've bought sold loads more than a Christmas no. 1 normally would. I bet Cowell's gutted. Especially given all the extra publicity. Fair play for RATM getting to no. 1 though. Bit of a giggle.

I was thinking last night that the contest has probably meant that the the X factor one sold more than previous ones so from a purely financial pov, Cowell will probably be happy.

Being a cynic I recognise the counter arguments about Rage and the Charts etc but I'm still happy from a childish fun angle.

surely the first ever christmas number one with the word "fuck" in it. awesome

maybe next year we can get a song to christmas number one with "cunt" in it.

Stevie's new career?

"Merry Christmas Foriegn Cunts".

On Bulldog Records.

Aye, it's fantastic that we have RATM at No.1 after people bought it because they were told to by some guys on Facebook, rather than people buying Joe's CD because Simon Cowell told them to on Xfactor.

There is a tangible difference though, surely? OK, RATM wouldn't have got to #1 without the story being ultimately picked up by the mainstream media, but even if you take the rest of the tale as being identical, I still see it as a healthy sign that a mass brainwashing campaign can originate from somewhere that isn't the inside of Simon Cowell's mind. :(

As for sales figures, Joe's single shifted about 110k less than Alexandra's last year - so no, in other words.

surely the first ever christmas number one with the word "fuck" in it. awesome

maybe next year we can get a song to christmas number one with "cunt" in it.

Jarvis - Cunts Are Still Running the World.

The X-Factor corner lost a lot of credibility IMO when Cheryl stated that "It's not fair that Joe should be denied the right to the no.1 spot".

I appreciate that it's probably creative paraphrasing on a reporters account but the I think her underlying thought was the same.

If she thinks winning the X-Factor gives a person the 'right' to the Christmas number 1 she can fuck right off - arrogancy of the highest order.

The X-Factor corner lost a lot of credibility IMO when Cheryl stated that "It's not fair that Joe should be denied the right to the no.1 spot".

I appreciate that it's probably creative paraphrasing on a reporters account but the I think her underlying thought was the same.

If she thinks winning the X-Factor gives a person the 'right' to the Christmas number 1 she can fuck right off - arrogancy of the highest order.

Louis "It spoils the race for the Christmas number 1" Walsh was even worse than her. He came out with a pearler in todays Sun - Joe could sell out Wembley, Rage couldn't. :(

It really, really worries me that the people who effectively run the pop music business in this country know so little about actual music. Maybe I was just labouring under the assumption that Cowell and co. were actually quite knowledgable and just producing saccharine bullshit because it sold records but clearly not. It's actually scary to see that these people believe the insipid dross they produce has any artistic merit whatsoever.

Louis "It spoils the race for the Christmas number 1" Walsh was even worse than her. He came out with a pearler in todays Sun - Joe could sell out Wembley, Rage couldn't. :(

Also said that Joe will go on to sell more albums than Rage have ever done. And I used to think he didn't have a sense of humour. <_<

For any chart geeks out there, here's how the battles for Christmas #1 have shaped up over recent years:

The Battle for Xmas #1 1993 to 2009

[Year / (Sales Difference) / #1 and sales / #2 and sales]

2009 (51,834)

Rage Against The Machine Killing In The Name 502,672

Joe McElderry The Climb 450,838

2008 (495,163)

Alexandra Burke Hallelujah 576,046

Jeff Buckley Hallelujah 80,883

2007 (216,062)

Leon Jackson When You Believe 275,742

Eva Cassidy & Katie Melua What A Wonderful World 59,680

2006 (520,694)