Best Opposition Player You've Seen at SJP

snakehips

The point about what the game has been reduced to only backs up my point though, shirley? I'm not arguing modern football is better.

I get your point but I think it is arguable that the modern game based upon superfit players is not what I would call football, and don't call me Shirley, it's Bob.

Anyway this all started because Stevie said that Bell would not hack it in the modern game, but he was a forerunner of what the modern game is all about, hence he was nicknamed after a champion racehorse. As for Stevies ludicrous statement that Pele could not hack it in the conference, well that just about blows all his arguments out of the water.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point about what the game has been reduced to only backs up my point though, shirley? I'm not arguing modern football is better.

I get your point but I think it is arguable that the modern game based upon superfit players is not what I would call football, and don't call me Shirley, it's Bob.

Anyway this all started because Stevie said that Bell would not hack it in the modern game, but he was a forerunner of what the modern game is all about, hence he was nicknamed after a champion racehorse. As for Stevies ludicrous statement that Pele could not hack it in the conference, well that just about blows all his arguments out of the water.

I didn't subscribe to Stevie's argument re: Pele. I'm confused though, are you now saying modern footballers are fitter? Because you were questioning where that notion came from just before.

I didn't subscribe to Stevie's argument re: Pele. I'm confused though, are you now saying modern footballers are fitter? Because you were questioning where that notion came from just before.

No, what I have done is give just one example of Colin Bell, a 1970's player, who was as super fit as modern day players thereby denying the theory that modern footballers are fitter than those that played in the 60's 70's and 80's. I have never denied that modern footballers are superfit, but I just do not accept that the "old" footballers were all puffing on fags and supping brown ale at half time, they did in the pub leagues that I played in, but that is a far cry from the professional ranks.

No, what I have done is give just one example of Colin Bell, a 1970's player, who was as super fit as modern day players thereby denying the theory that modern footballers are fitter than those that played in the 60's 70's and 80's. I have never denied that modern footballers are superfit, but I just do not accept that the "old" footballers were all puffing on fags and supping brown ale at half time, they did in the pub leagues that I played in, but that is a far cry from the professional ranks.

I'm not saying they were Berb. I just think modern players are fitter.

Edited by alex

in 50 years.....................

Greaves on song was bloody unplayable

Sir Stanley Matthews in his 50's

Bobby Moore & Johnny Haynes defined the word "class"

Bobby Charlton

Drogba

Gerard

Cloughie

Banks

Edited by Rob W

They are fitter but they are much more injury prone - and they aren't as tough physically IMHO

has to be schmeichal for that performance that basically won the title for man u the year we blew the ten point lead.

it felt like injustice at the time but that was one performance that stands out for me - us losing the title that year was more to do to his performance than keegan's mental implosion. nothing was getting past him. i would have applauded him off the field if i hadn't been so gutted. i think everyone knew the title was man u's after that match

Edited by Dr Gloom

He had a class game but I seem to remember every 1 on 1 being blasted straight at him by Sir Les. Shame Tino never had one of those chances.

That's what I say to folk who blame Tino for us losing the league that year. If Sir Les had scored in that game, we would have gone on to win the league imo.

He had a class game but I seem to remember every 1 on 1 being blasted straight at him by Sir Les. Shame Tino never had one of those chances.

That's what I say to folk who blame Tino for us losing the league that year. If Sir Les had scored in that game, we would have gone on to win the league imo.

More to do with Derek Fazackerly going to Blackburn at christmas if you ask me,but as you say signing Tino was just a convenient thing for lazy hacks and pundits to spout like a bunch of lobotomised parrots for years after until it becomes the general public's perceived view on what happened.

.... you mean to say Asprilla?? The man who was solely responsible for us not winning the league??

:lol: