Sports Personality of the Year

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

"Unfortunately, Usain can't be with us tonight..."as he can't be arsed to attend the boring love in dodgy-titled awards show issued by an institution that has no real power when it comes to big sporting events unless the government intervenes.

"of the year"

somehow I dont feel thats been taken into account when choosing ryan giggs

we have a brit F1 champ a brit heavyweight champ and a british gymnastics european champ but a guy who is NOT currently the best british player and who has not achieved so much over a number of other british footballers in the last year has won

what a load of arse

Edited by Andrew

"Unfortunately, Usain can't be with us tonight..."as he can't be arsed to attend the boring love in dodgy-titled awards show issued by an institution that has no real power when it comes to big sporting events unless the government intervenes.

That was honest of them.

"of the year"

somehow I dont feel thats been taken into account when choosing ryan giggs

we have a brit F1 champ a brit heavyweight champ and a british gymnastics european champ but a guy who is NOT currently the best british player and who has not achieved so much over a number of other british footballers in the last year has won

what a load of arse

It's alright though because he's had a "great career" and is "nice", unlike every other sportsman to play quite well this year.

As soon as Giggs was nominated I knew it'd be him - footballers are a more popular choice.

More surprised about Brawn missing out than Button though. First constructor since 1978 to break the Ferrari/McLaren/Williams/Renault stranglehold - and all that on the back of not even existing a mere 3 weeks before the season began.

More shocking was that the men's cricketers won it instead - if it wasn't going to be Brawn then it surely should have been the women's cricketers.

Some rather unneccessary comments from Red Nose about how Giggs was far and away the obvious choice and that Button winning would have been the result of 'people reading magazines'.

Why am I not surprised?

Take it Ferguson is in the 'F1 drivers are not proper sportsmen' camp then? Should bolt him into one of those centrifugal simulators and see what he thinks after that :lol:

I was listening to it on Five Live as I was in the car and they were saying that while Giggs is deserving of some recognition for what he has achieved over his career, he's done very little (save perhaps for a couple of weeks prior to the PFA awards) over the calendar year of 2009 which warranted the award.

A popularity award if ever there was one. What the likes of Button, Ennis, Daley, Tweddle & Idowu achieved over the past 12 months was far more impressive!

Some rather unneccessary comments from Red Nose about how Giggs was far and away the obvious choice and that Button winning would have been the result of 'people reading magazines'.

Why am I not surprised?

Take it Ferguson is in the 'F1 drivers are not proper sportsmen' camp then? Should bolt him into one of those centrifugal simulators and see what he thinks after that :lol:

I was listening to it on Five Live as I was in the car and they were saying that while Giggs is deserving of some recognition for what he has achieved over his career, he's done very little (save perhaps for a couple of weeks prior to the PFA awards) over the calendar year of 2009 which warranted the award.

A popularity award if ever there was one. What the likes of Button, Ennis, Daley, Tweddle & Idowu achieved over the past 12 months was far more impressive!

As I mentioned before, it's voted for by the public. The problem with democracy is that every retard gets a vote!

Personally I wanted Cavendish, but I'm pleased Giggs beat Button to it.

Over a hundred races without a win, switches car and suddenly he's world champion - so much for driver skill being the deciding factor.

:lol:

Aye, that's why Barrichello (considered by most to be one of the fastest on the grid) wiped the floor with him? As for switching car, go do some research and find out which design office the 2009 Brawn come out of. :(

Back to the Sports Personality, maybe I'm getting it wrong but didn't it used to be a proper awards ceremony much like the Baftas, Oscars, Grammys where the winning choice was made behind the scenes? Didn't always used to be a public vote, did it?

It's got very much like Eurovision did whereby popularity ruins the show. FWIW I didn't think it should have been Button but no way on earth should it have been Giggs. Ennis for me :(

the problem for ths athletes is that if there is more than one it really splits the vote, unless it is something massive profile, like say a brit 100m champion

I wanted button to win it myself, seems a nice guy as well(like ryan giggs) as being world champion(unlike ryan giggs)

the problem for ths athletes is that if there is more than one it really splits the vote, unless it is something massive profile, like say a brit 100m champion

I wanted button to win it myself, seems a nice guy as well(like ryan giggs) as being world champion(unlike ryan giggs)

Aye I know what you mean but what Ennis achieved was absolutely unreal. Not only did she win the Heptathlon at the World Championships, she actually won every single event of it too.

Aye I know what you mean but what Ennis achieved was absolutely unreal. Not only did she win the Heptathlon at the World Championships, she actually won every single event of it too.

I didnt actually know that, I knew she'd won it but...wow

ok yeh thats insanely impressive

I didnt actually know that, I knew she'd won it but...wow

ok yeh thats insanely impressive

Actually just re-checked and I got it wrong. She led the even from start to finish and won 4 individual events - but still mighty impressive.

Agree with the comments above re Giggs. Also he's never seemed much of a personality to me, he's fairly low profile off the pitch and sounds a bit like Ashley Peacock off Corrie. Not an inspiring choice.

Its all bollocks anyways.

Just looking through some of the old results.

In '66 Barry Briggs placed higher than Geoff Hirst.

must admit i had to wiki that name. tbf, he was pretty fucking good at what he did!