The F1 2010 thread

Craig

Seeing as the 2009 season has gone and that most of the movers and shakers have settled for 2010, I thought it best to start a new thread. So who's confirmed so far?

McLaren Mercedes

1. Jenson Button

2. Lewis Hamilton

Mercedes

3. Nico Rosberg

4. Michael Schumacher

Red Bull Renault

5. Sebastian Vettel

6. Mark Webber

Ferrari

7. Felipe Massa

8. Fernando Alonso

Williams Cosworth

9. Rubens Barrichello

10. Nico Hulkenberg

Renault

11. Robert Kubica

12. TBA

Force India Mercedes

14. Adrian Sutil

15. Vitantonio Liuzzi

Torro Rosso Ferrari

16. Sebastien Buemi

17. Jaime Alguersuari

Lotus Cosworth

18. Jarno Trulli

19. Heikki Kovalainen

Campos Dallara

20. TBA

21. Bruno Senna

US F1 Cosworth

22. TBA

23. TBA

Virgin Cosworth

24. Timo Glock

25. Lucas Di Grassi

Sauber Ferrari

Kamui Kobayashi

TBA

So only 5 seats left to fill, although I have my suspicions that US-F1 will not make it. Drivers who haven't been confirmed anywhere yet and are rumoured are as follows:

Nick Heidfeld

Giancarlo Fisichella (rumoured for Sauber)

Sebastien Bourdais

Nelson Piquet (rumoured for Campos)

Romain Grosjean

Anthony Davidson

Jacques Villeneuve

Be interesting to see which of those (if any) will take up the remaining seats.

2010 is going to be a good year, to close to call as well however there are two drivers in the field with experience of non-refuelling Formula One. I wonder if that will be a telling advantage.....?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to see all of the above teams make it to the starting grid on the opening day. I havve an affinity with Lotus for some bizarre reason. I can still clearly recall the image of Martin Donnelley, lying there on the Spanish GP track (Jerez?) having just been involved in a major high-speed accident. His entire car disintergrated around him, leaving only his seat strapped to him. It's nothing short of remarkable that he survived that accident. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new season and will be cheering on Lotus, from the back of the grid in all likelihood....

Indeed it was Jerez. Awful, awful accident - the expansion of the fuel tank during the accident threw him from the monocoque and away from most of the energy of the accident.

1647.jpg

jerez1990martindonnelly.jpg

Thankfully he made a complete recovery although never raced another F1 car in anger. Still involved in Motorsport, Martin appears in this video-clip on the BBC (skip to about 5.30)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8337793.stm

Agree with the sentiments re: Lotus - hope they are the best of the new boys.

I know it's the season of joy and goodwill and all, but the new Lotus isn't really Lotus, is it? :(

And those Donnelly clips/pics never get less shocking. <_<

Edited by Meenzer

It's not so much in that it's a Malaysian funded team but there is a rumour going round suggesting that Lotus Cars are possibly going to buy into the team.

6. Mark Webber

2010 World Champ

10. Nico Hulkenberg

Greatest name ever.

Jacques Villeneuve

Is 2010 going to be the year of old man World Champions returning or something?

Anyway, I think this whole new points scheme for this year is going to take some getting used to. With Ecclestone not getting his way with the whole most wins = champion, the whole 25 points for first thing almost seems like a backdoor way into it. Don't like it, get rid.

I admire your patriotism Steve but, as much as I like Mark Webber, I can't see him ever being WDC. Shame because he's probably the most down to earth and likeable bloke in the sport. Typical Aussie who, like Jones before him, says what he feels and doesn't care who takes offence. Remember back to Brazil and the qualifying carry on. His engineer asked if he had any comment to make to race control and his reply "Tell them to open their f**king eyes!"

I hope to god Villeneueve doesn't come back but he's whoring himself about like an cheap hooker who's hymen is in danger of closing up!

Bernie may have found a way to get his medal system in - or so he thought. Applying the new system to the 2008 season (where Massa won more races but lost the title) he'd still have lost out to Hamilton.

Craig

You seem the man of knowledge when it comes to F1.

Last night in the boozer some kid said Schey wouldnt win a single race, so this otehr kid made a bet with him he would.

Whats his chances of winning one? I aint no F1 fan really, but surly with his experiance etc he must have the chance for ONE win?

He's won the World Championship 7 times, he's driving for the team that won both the Constructors & Driver's title last season which is headed up by a bloke who has masterminded 8 World Drivers Championships and who is synonmous with Schumacher and success.

Lots of things have changed and we need to see the respective pace of each car but I think you can call the Driver's Champion from one of Alonso, Vettel, Schumacher or Hamilton. All 4 have a strong chance of winning races as does their team-mates (Massa, Webber, Rosberg & Button).

I do agree with you craig, as much as I'd love Webber to be champ it won't happen. However, I can see Vettel winning if his car is as reliable as last season. Hamilton and Button are going to take points off each other, and Mercedes is going to be a (bigger) circus with Schumacher. I honestly think 2010 will be Vettel's year.

It depends on if Ferrari have got their act together or not because on paper, Alonso is the best there is IMO.

Red Bull have an advantage over their rivals in that they're the only ones not to change their line up. With the testing ban in place, that has to be a plus point to them.

The underlying message of Renault's announcement IMO was that they want to go back to being solely an engine supplier (as they did so successfully with Williams & Benetton in the early to mid 90s.

I don't think Red Bull have any concerns at all as far as Renault's commitment as a supplier. It'll be interesting to see if the new team that is growing out of Renault actually buys them out completely and then Red Bull will become Renault's primary team.

I didn't realise Schumacher had signed a 3 year deal with Merc. He'll be not far off 45 when that finishes.

I kinda have a feeling he shouldnt tempt fate. He 'got away' without really serious injury for all those years, why come back?

I didn't realise Schumacher had signed a 3 year deal with Merc. He'll be not far off 45 when that finishes.

*cough* Vettel has a 2 year contract with Red Bull with an option for the 3rd *cough*.

Michael is insurance in case they can't persuade Red Bull to let him go soon IMO. I'm pretty certain that Schumacher is only intended to be racing for the team for this season and will be consulting for them thereafter...

• 4 weeks later...
How far does that engine cover extend?

Was thinking that myself - presume it's not attached to the rear wing as I can't see any aerodynamic advantage in doing so...

Neat exhaust system as well :)

Diffuser row could hit 2010 season

Formula 1 could be heading for more controversy surrounding double diffusers this season, amid predictions from leading teams that some of their rivals have pursued 'extreme' solutions in the area of car design.

With the opening rounds of the 2009 championship overshadowed by protests and an FIA appeal court hearing about the legality of the twin floor concept, there had been hopes that the subsequent clarity of the rules would help the sport avoid a repeat this time out.

However, amid suggestions that teams have exploited the rules even further, there are now fears that there could even be more protests in the weeks ahead.

McLaren engineering director Paddy Lowe said at the launch of his team's 2010 challenger on Friday that his team had pushed the diffuser regulations as far as it felt was possible.

"This is the first car in which we have had a clean sheet of paper to really exploit the interpretation [of diffusers] that was developed last year for a design of floors," said Lowe.

"You will see we have produced a fairly extreme incarnation of that but we won't be alone in that. We believe you will see some pretty extreme solutions on our competitors' cars as well."

The potential for these extreme solutions has led to Ferrari voicing fears that not every team is operating within the interpretation of the regulations that it feels is in place.

"We were and still are convinced that the double diffuser concept was illegal," Ferrari technical director Aldo Costa told Gazzetta dello Sport. "We feel there may still be interpretation over this, as the rules leave the door open to many possibilities. It's up to the FIA to supervise, but we are rather worried."

Piero Ferrari added: "I expect a Ferrari worthy of the title, unless someone interprets the rules differently."

Lowe is more confident, however, that the rules are clear enough - and that the matter will not require intervention from the FIA.

"We think the interpretation is very clear," he said. "In certain aspects we have sought guidance from the FIA and they have come out with very clear interpretation, understanding and guidance - and we think that has been made available to all the teams.

"We are hoping for a much cleaner start to the season then we had a year ago in terms of the teams' collective understanding of the basis from which we go racing."

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81128

For "Someone" read "Ferrari".

And all of a sudden you read....

""We think we may not have read the rules as carefully as the other teams. We won't complain if we're winning. But if we're losing we're going to go crying to our old friend JT at the FIA about how it's not fair that other teams have designed faster cars than us!"

:)