Wednesday view

I'm not here to give you some Geordie bashing like has become fashionable, or butter you up like some do - just going to give an honest assesment of today.

Fans

Superb following from your lot, and as has been covered elsewhere the only reason you weren't given more tickets (the north-west corner) was because of the South Yorkshire Police - not the club. I was anticipating the corner being used as a spillover for any Newcastle fans caught in our end but it seemed there were only a handful of these cases as opposed to the 5,000 that you estimated would try and get in :icon_lol:

However, I would like to see how your crowds would fare after ten years of shite like we've had as opposed to the one tough year you've had. I know you like to label yourselves the most loyal fans in the land, and you quite rightly won't be far off, but spare a thought for us. In a two club city unlike yourselves, we have continued to average 20/25,000 for ten years outside the Premiership, good going IMO - when you think about it Newcastle is bigger than half of Sheffield so in terms of attendees per population we won't be far off having the best crowds around (it galls me when Leeds get all the attention for having great fans when they're a one club city not getting much bigger crowds than we did in the Third Division). The crowd today just crawled over 30,000 which was disappointing tbh, although our recent form must have kept a fair few away. One more point, you lot singing 'empty seats' was a bit ironic considering you must have the most empty seats per club in this division every week! (barring last week)

Match

Having put £15 on you to win, and £1 each on 0-2, 0-3, 0-4 and 0-5, I was stunned by how we actually seemed to care today. We started off like a house on fire and deserved to go in front, but it was inevitable that you'd come back into the game and scored with your first two shots on goal. Apparently the second was offside but I couldn't see from behind the goal - i'd instead like to focus on our sloppy defending - I know Harweood gets a lot of stick from you but him and Ameobi were running our centre-halves ragged, Beevers (a rumoured target for you) was far too lightweight to cope.

I didn't like Kevin Nolan, after one niggly tackle from James O'Connor (a poor mans Nicky Butt - who was a class apart), Nolan spent the rest of the afternoon trying to break O'Connor's legs, and Ameobi was fortunate not to get a yellow for his persistant backing in like Marcus Tudgay was (although again, half the time he wasn't fouling at all - just too strong).

I thought come half-time we were unlucky to be losing, and deservedly got into the game in the second half, heavy pressue on your goal, and trying not to be biased I couldn't see much wrong with our goal, Varney jumped fair and square, and won the ball, though I haven't seen the replay. Coloccini doesn't look like an international centre-back and he was your weak link. It looked like you had another couple of gears to go up and didn't use them until stoppage time when I was convinced you'd score.

A few points on other players I haven't mentioned -

Harper - Fantastic save to stop it being 3-2, no idea how he managed it (the useless lump of a ref wanted to give a goal kick)

Enrique - Looks a really tidy player but didn't seem up for it

Butt - your best player, never lost the ball

All in all I was happy with a point, as should you too - we could well have won it. I've read others slating the performance etc... If you can get a draw away from home anywhere in this league you've done well and you have a strong home record/ten point advantage - stop moaning, you have it easy!

All the best for the rest of the season, you'll piss this league

Edited by 1867

I thought your team edged the game, when you see replays both teams had a goal that should have been disallowed and a draw was about right as both teams keepers made a good save.

Today Enrique and Colocini were overplaying at the back a bit and got away with a couple of risky moments, but they've been part of a tight defence, with Enrique player of the season for me and quite a few others, and he is always up for it in defence and attack.

Butt did play well, certainly defensively, but if you've watched him for a while he's actually finished, this game was a bit of a surprise and fair play to him for that.

You think we've only had one tough year?

My first thought as well. The rest of the country acts like we haven't had the piss ripped out of us by those in charge for most of the last decade.

Also, I still thought Butt was incredibly poor when actually in possession. Fair play to him for trying something a bit different compared to the rest of our midfield's play but he's just not good enough to split defences with pitch perfect passing.

Edited by Stiva

I'm not here to give you some Geordie bashing like has become fashionable, or butter you up like some do - just going to give an honest assesment of today.

Fans

Superb following from your lot, and as has been covered elsewhere the only reason you weren't given more tickets (the north-west corner) was because of the South Yorkshire Police - not the club. I was anticipating the corner being used as a spillover for any Newcastle fans caught in our end but it seemed there were only a handful of these cases as opposed to the 5,000 that you estimated would try and get in :icon_lol:

However, I would like to see how your crowds would fare after ten years of shite like we've had as opposed to the one tough year you've had. I know you like to label yourselves the most loyal fans in the land, and you quite rightly won't be far off, but spare a thought for us. In a two club city unlike yourselves, we have continued to average 20/25,000 for ten years outside the Premiership, good going IMO - when you think about it Newcastle is bigger than half of Sheffield so in terms of attendees per population we won't be far off having the best crowds around (it galls me when Leeds get all the attention for having great fans when they're a one club city not getting much bigger crowds than we did in the Third Division). The crowd today just crawled over 30,000 which was disappointing tbh, although our recent form must have kept a fair few away. One more point, you lot singing 'empty seats' was a bit ironic considering you must have the most empty seats per club in this division every week! (barring last week)

Match

Having put £15 on you to win, and £1 each on 0-2, 0-3, 0-4 and 0-5, I was stunned by how we actually seemed to care today. We started off like a house on fire and deserved to go in front, but it was inevitable that you'd come back into the game and scored with your first two shots on goal. Apparently the second was offside but I couldn't see from behind the goal - i'd instead like to focus on our sloppy defending - I know Harweood gets a lot of stick from you but him and Ameobi were running our centre-halves ragged, Beevers (a rumoured target for you) was far too lightweight to cope.

I didn't like Kevin Nolan, after one niggly tackle from James O'Connor (a poor mans Nicky Butt - who was a class apart), Nolan spent the rest of the afternoon trying to break O'Connor's legs, and Ameobi was fortunate not to get a yellow for his persistant backing in like Marcus Tudgay was (although again, half the time he wasn't fouling at all - just too strong).

I thought come half-time we were unlucky to be losing, and deservedly got into the game in the second half, heavy pressue on your goal, and trying not to be biased I couldn't see much wrong with our goal, Varney jumped fair and square, and won the ball, though I haven't seen the replay. Coloccini doesn't look like an international centre-back and he was your weak link. It looked like you had another couple of gears to go up and didn't use them until stoppage time when I was convinced you'd score.

Harper - Fantastic save to stop it being 3-2, no idea how he managed it (the useless lump of a ref wanted to give a goal kick)

All in all I was happy with a point, as should you too - we could well have won it. I've read others slating the performance etc... If you can get a draw away from home anywhere in this league you've done well and you have a strong home record/ten point advantage - stop moaning, you have it easy!

One tough year. To say we're one of the most talked about media mong attracting clubs in Britain, I never ceased to be amazed by how ignorant the majority of this country are about this club. One tough year. We have been shit for nearly 6 years.

You say your crowd was disappointing at 30,000 today, anyone would think you get that regularly, it is in fact one of your best eight attendances of the last six years, on about two club city blah blah it's all utter bollocks, I have nothing against Sheff Wed reasonable crowd, reasonable club but your ignorance of this club it's staggering.

Fans

Match

One tough year. To say we're one of the most talked about media mong attracting clubs in Britain, I never ceased to be amazed by how ignorant the majority of this country are about this club. One tough year. We have been shit for nearly 6 years.

You say your crowd was disappointing at 30,000 today, anyone would think you get that regularly, it is in fact one of your best eight attendances of the last six years, on about two club city blah blah it's all utter bollocks, I have nothing against Sheff Wed reasonable crowd, reasonable club but your ignorance of this club it's staggering.

People's shortsightedness is equally staggering. Yes, milllions spent in the preimer league is staggering. No wonder outsiders say what they do considering this reply.

Fans

We might, but we have a 52k seater stadium and also the largest attendance outside the Prem (or even not in some cases), which is probablies about 42-3k average per home game.

Oh, and what did you's get yesterday? 30k.. out of a 39 (practically 40k) seater stadium, including 5,300 away fans - SJP's away allocation is 3k, and even then some teams don't fill it all.

<_<