Newcastle United 0-0 Derby County

Deano

It was comical at the end when Jonas was left to take the corners and he shrugged as if to say;

"I can't cross a ball to save my life, never-mind take a fucking corner!"

:icon_lol:

Then he went on to take what was possibly the best corner of the game. <_< Unfortunately none of our players in the box were expecting a decent cross from him, so they wasted yet another glorious chance to score.

Guthrie is a player who can pick out a pass and should be deployed in his natural position in the middle. Like Nolan he's not good on the ball, however I think he's more mobile than Nolan and much more likely to keep running (though they're both slow). At this level Nolan could play up front with either Carroll or Ameobi.

When he plays in the midfield alongside Smith or Butt we're virtually assured that there will be no attacking passing coming from our central midfield. This season Smith and Butt don't have a goal or assist between them. Nolan as we know has 10 league goals, but has only chipped in with a solitary assist (on day 1 when he layed on a perfectly weighted pass for a Damien Duff goal). In contrast our leading goal creator is Danny Guthrie who has 8 assists in the league (as well as a solitary goal). Next best on the goal creation front is Andy Carroll with 6 league assists (4 goals), then Jonas with 4 assists (1 goal), Enrique 3 assists, Ryan Taylor 3 assists (Ranger 2 and the most of any other being 1).

That says to me that we need to change who we're playing through the middle in order to change the way we're playing. If we had Guthrie in the middle, Jonas down the left and Taylor on the right we'd have three semi legitimate players who can create a goal. Smith still in the middle shielding the defense. Up front would be between Shola, Nolan and Carroll.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.......................................................... No one to blame for Carroll's lazy performance other than himself. ................................

Thing that bothers me most when I see Carroll play is that he always seems to be discontented with decisions and having something to say.

Hate to break it to all of you lads and lasses, I feel that we are going to slide down the table soon.

I don't think it's as bad as that.

To get the required 90 or so points, all we need from now on is a 56-60% win rate. I think we can deal with that.

We haven't even lost a game.

Hell ... we're performing better than Liverpoo and Chelsea results-wise.

His 1st of the 2 was a quality corner, and overall his end product was pretty good for a change!

He just leathered the first. It turned out quite well, but IMO, quite unintentional.

that was the best corner anyone had taken for us all game, I was stunned

not so when he put the second in though :icon_lol:

WORDPLAY: why? any justification for it? we never looked like losing that game yesterday and thats been the basis of our season so far, keeping clean sheets and getting one or two, given the chances we missed we should have won probably by a goal or two

just one of those days

Hate to break it to all of you lads and lasses, I feel that we are going to slide down the table soon.

We haven't even lost a game.

Ey?

Oooops ... I meant in the 'blip' that we're currently having. The current blip only consists of two draws and no losses is what I meant. :icon_lol:

Edited by dbsweeney