Barton: Players 'detached from reality'

acrossthepond

Players 'detached from reality', fumes Joey Barton

Barton's career has been dogged by on and off-the-field disciplinary problems

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton claims the decadent lifestyles of many players puts them out of touch with reality.

Barton's own discipline problems have seen him jailed but he told Radio 4's Today programme that gave him a sense of perspective other players lack.

"A lot of them are so detached from reality it's untrue and there was a stage when I was like that," he said.

"It's only the fact I'm grounded by the trouble I've been in that's forced me away from being in the football world."

Barton also said the huge amounts of money players were paid added to their sense of isolation from the world that normal fans live in.

"Driving round in flash cars and changing them like you change your socks, wearing stupid diamond watches and spending money like it's going out of fashion in the middle of a recession when some people are struggling to put food on the table for the kids - it's not the way to do it," he said.

Former Manchester City player Barton, 27, who has one England cap, has been plagued by unsavoury episodes the whole way through his career.

His list of misdemeanours includes stubbing a lit cigarette into the eye of a team-mate, slapping a fan, hitting Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo and assaulting a man during a night out in Liverpool, which earned him a six-month prison sentence.

And he admitted he could have been in even more trouble had other incidents been made public.

"That's the stuff people know about - there's stuff I got away with," he said.

"I'm very fortunate, because of my profile and the job I do, and the fact I'm in the public eye, it got addressed - I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it."

Barton addressed some of his personal problems with counsellors at the Sporting Chance clinic, which helps sports men and women with lifestyle and addiction problems, and is now a vocal public advocate of the clinic's work.

:icon_lol:<_<:icon_lol: Just like after the 2006 WC, here's Joey to run his mouth about other people again when he's done fuck all since leaving Man City.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players 'detached from reality', fumes Joey Barton

"Driving round in flash cars and changing them like you change your socks, wearing stupid diamond watches and spending money like it's going out of fashion in the middle of a recession when some people are struggling to put food on the table for the kids - it's not the way to do it," he said.

article-1227519-0733A064000005DC-922_468x313.jpg

article-1052714-0288583000000578-630_468x352.jpg

:icon_lol:

cant wait to see him back and fit to be honest

When he did play he looked like he hadn't caught this team spirit bug the rets seem to have and maybe should have been in the "I'm off" group - it would be good if he proved me wrong on that though.

Its his way of showing the football world he's a changed man....i think we should lock him in a cage and wind him up then only unleash him against the makems!

Has he not said all of this before though? To be honest I think he's only looked a real player for a few games under Kinnear, other than that he's either not seemed bothered, been injured, suspended or in prison.

Its his way of showing the football world he's a changed man....i think we should lock him in a cage and wind him up then only unleash him against the makems!

Has he not said all of this before though? To be honest I think he's only looked a real player for a few games under Kinnear, other than that he's either not seemed bothered, been injured, suspended or in prison.

did you not see his interview on sky sports news a few months ago?

to be honest when we played liverpool he was our best player. Then he went and him self sent off which i think was not a sending off

we're better off without him, we dont need him on the pitch and since we dont need him on the pitch i'd be happy to see the fucker out of the door in jan if possible

A fit Barton would be a huge asset to us. It would also allow us to play Nolan further forward.

exactly, we’re in need of someone who can pass in midfield.

I’m putting his poor form earlier this season down to him carrying an injury, that evidently required surgery.

ever the optimist!

A fit Barton would be a huge asset to us. It would also allow us to play Nolan further forward.

exactly, we’re in need of someone who can pass in midfield.

I’m putting his poor form earlier this season down to him carrying an injury, that evidently required surgery.

ever the optimist!

thats true he was playing with a cracked bone in his foot but he did not want to lose his place in the team..so he said!

Barton is too much a liability and his ego would interfere with, what seems to be, a happy squad. I'd snap the hand off anyone who came sniffing in January.

Barton is too much a liability and his ego would interfere with, what seems to be, a happy squad. I'd snap the hand off anyone who came sniffing in January.

dont laugh at what im about to say but.................i think he is a changed man keep him he is the best creative mid fielder we have. great passer and great battler

dont laugh at what im about to say but.................i think he is a changed man keep him he is the best creative mid fielder we have. great passer and great battler

:icon_lol:<_<

Sorry....

Based on what ?

Yeh but you aren't allowed alcohol in view of the pitch and he would get caught in the dressing room.

I'm not laughing, I'm too afraid.

on what grounds can you afford him another chance? and even if he has changed his ways, he's still a huge ego, and a big earner, we're winning without him in the side and what we need is an electric dynamic creative player, not a battler who can pass the ball better than Smith... I can pass the ball better than Smith and can kick people, why not employ me?

in all seriousness we should ship him out and get a promising lad on loan from the Premiership or spunk a couple hundred grand on a lad from this league.

spunk a couple hundred grand on a lad from this league

Good luck with that.

At cheapest people will want a million from us even for the dullest of players.

:icon_lol:

How do you figure? the world and his nan knows we're broke. Also, they're be more likely to be in need of the cash immediately, than the hope the kid comes good...

if we get rid of barton i'd like to see us just bringing in a loan to cover the squad, like tom says, anyone in the CCC will try and take us for extra cash for a player probably not worth the money