Yemen - the next Afghanistan?

Rob W

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because I am questioning something you say I don't question things.

Key word was leaders.

You're questioning a dissident group with an unblemished 100% record for authenticity and accuracy over 10 years and 10 million leaked documents that have embarrassed just about every major government on the planet, right wing and left.

You're taking at their word the claims of government operatives such as Clapper, proven to have lied under oath to his own congress, that the group have a new found agenda.

Key word was leaders.

You're questioning a dissident group with an unblemished 100% record for authenticity and accuracy over 10 years and 10 million leaked documents that have embarrassed just about every major government on the planet, right wing and left.

You're taking at their word the claims of government operatives such as Clapper, proven to have lied under oath to his own congress, that the group have a new found agenda.

Just to add, it's not like the rest of the media don't have an agenda anyway... At least Wikileaks, if it does have one (it does) has to wield it through the relatively benign means of withholding information (if it does this at all) and the timing of releases. BBC esque in that respect.

Key word was leaders.

I have never heard of clapper, I am taking wikileaks actions during the US elections as evidence they have an agenda. Also I never said I believe th US has had no role in the Yemeni war. I just treat wikileaks information on it the way I treat reports in the daily mail.

TWO SHOT MCU

ALEX leans in toward his drinking partner. A callous smile.

ALEX (Humourous).

So I catch him right. Right there! He’s cleaning my

shoes. All of them. This guy gets up at four am to

clean my shoes. I have this one pair of great boots

and he’s always talking about them, sometimes he

just stares right at them. Now this fucker is getting

up four fucking am to clean my shoes. What do you

make of that shit?! Tell me man. What the hell is this!?

I ask myself, what a thing to find a full grown man

doing. I was shocked... Took me a full minute to speak.

Edited by Park Life

New wikileaks release

The Yemen Files offer documentary evidence of the US arming, training and funding of Yemeni forces in the years building up to the war. The documents reveal, among other things, procurement of many different weapon types: aircrafts, vessels, vehicles, proposals for maritine border security control and Yemeni procurement of US biometric systems.

https://wikileaks.org/yemen-files/?saudi

Seems like a reasonable strategy to me. Are you saying they should have funded the other side? Why? They don't have any national rights over the territory either and are pushing a commercial and geopolitical strategy. To KCG's point, the release just casts doubt ton the morality of the US policy by 'releasing' information that was supposedly secret thereby creating the impression that it must be bad. For it to be bad, then allowing the Iranian led factions to control another sovereign country must therefore be good? As that's the implication, is that what you think? Or is this morally neutral Information?

Seems like a reasonable strategy to me. Are you saying they should have funded the other side? Why? They don't have any national rights over the territory either and are pushing a commercial and geopolitical strategy. To KCG's point, the release just casts doubt ton the morality of the US policy by 'releasing' information that was supposedly secret thereby creating the impression that it must be bad. For it to be bad, then allowing the Iranian led factions to control another sovereign country must therefore be good? As that's the implication, is that what you think? Or is this morally neutral Information?

I don't think the US has to arm one side or the other. You know the countless examples of the US providing arms and training to groups only for them to turn into the enemy. Happens time and again.

Wikileaks has also provided evidence that the US do not believe that Iran are acting in Yemen.

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09SANAA1662_a.html

So, the justification of the US providing balance to their meddling is overstated.

That just confirms what I understood. That Iran arms and influences the Houthi rebels. Just no clear evidence they are completely under writing every effort. Which is probably because their soft power is more effective. Still trying to influence and control the commercial asset that is Yemen.

• 3 weeks later...