The iPad thread

ChezGiven

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I dig it. Probably not enough to actually buy one, but it's pretty sweet.

Wish it wasn't married to ATT's shitey 3G service over here though. We had our wireless router at the house die last week and my wife was at the house with her iPhone for about 3 hours before I could get off work to buy and set up the new one. It was terrible! I mean, we don't live in downtown Manhattan or anything, but Christ- I couldn't even get the thing to open google.com until it's third try! I'd always heard how lame the ATT 3G was, but good Lord- until I actually saw it, I couldn't really believe it.

I just cant see when i'd use it when i have a ipod, iphone & macbook. The gap in market doesn't exist for me.

sense! I know a couple of people who have all three of those things but who are still going to get one

With all the hype, I was hoping for something actually innovative, instead of a giant iPod touch. It's very disappointing that it cannot multitask. Without that basic functionality, it's not as useful as a netbook. Especailly since it cannot run flash. If you could put other stuff on its OS, then it might be made more useful through development, but with the closed-system that Apple runs, even that isn't possible.

I probably wouldn't have bought one anyways, since I tend to get frustrated with being locked out of all things Apple, but I had a Newton years ago which I liked a lot. I was hoping that there would be something actually *new* that would lead to innovation across the board.

This is just more of the same.

I cant get my head round it either. Mind you, i was put off getting an iPhone when they came out through reading comments on forums.

Some odd comments in here though. All the hype? There was nothing in the public domain until today ;)

I reckon if you are looking at buying a new mac, you are young and into music and videos, you'd look at this. The basic problem with the iPhone and the iTouch (i have both now) is the size. Now books are readable on the interface it will open up the iBook market too.

Anyway, if there is a 3G netbook out there that has the media-friendly capacity of the iPad, i will eat my own shit.

Sounds just like the discussions on iPhones around 3 years ago Ant. As i said, if you can find me a portable internet and email device (netbook) with 3G that has access to music, apps and books, and looks like this, i'd be surprised. I have a macbook pro, an iphone and an old touch so am not likely to buy this for a few years. Looks nice though, at £350 its fuck all too. Not surprised or impressed by it, about a year ago i said they needed to increase the size of the device as surfing on a phone is shit.

Marketing (real marketing) isnt about advertising, its about predicting how people will behave in the future and meeting their needs in advance. Apple have about the best marketing department on the planet so they wont have released this if they werent pretty sure it will make money. Its no biggy though and thats reflected in the low key launch. (this is very low key for apple).

Some odd comments in here though. All the hype? There was nothing in the public domain until today ;)

Anyway, if there is a 3G netbook out there that has the media-friendly capacity of the iPad, i will eat my own shit.

There was TONS of hype over here. There were strategic leaks as well as rampant speculation all over the place. Gawker was offering several thousands of dollars as a reward for just photos of the damn thing. You don't need to have publicly confirmed hard info for hype.

It's not comparable to a netbook, though, because you'd have to buy an (expensive) keyboard attachment and dongle in order to type on the damn thing, and then you'd have to have a separate iPod to listen to music while you did it. a 10" touchscreen keyboard just isn't practical. 3G is nothing special when the surroundings are so limited. It's less portable than an iPhone, and doesn't provide enough extra to be worth it. Some people wanted a bigger screen, fine, but there's nothing new here, which is a major disappointment.

And don't say it has great access to apps and media and such. It has restricted access to everything. It all must be done through Apple, which is my biggest complaint. If it weren't so closed, people could innovate solutions for stuff, but as it is, it's totally locked.

I think there will be a ton of adopters for it, it is after all, basically a netbook, and that market exploded just over the past couple of years. Lots of people figuring out that just because there's three or four people in their house, they don't need three or four computers since most people's idea of using a computer is just fucking around on facebook anyway. I could see people buying one for their kid/ teen/ student to double as a computer/ tv/ dvd player/ music player. It's a sound move strategically for Apple to get into that market.

I don't really agree about the hype though. There were a lot of websites and press speculating including whatever sad bastard actually looks through patent registrations and all that, but that's just blogs and magazines trying to sell themselves- I doubt Apple was responsible for it.

I would buy it if it was a tablet MacBook rather than a tablet iPhone. I'm just saying.

Oh- and Zathras, I had a Newton back in the day too! When I worked for AMD back in '96 they issued them to us. Clean rooms are no place for pens and pads, y'know? ;)

Edited by Cid_MCDP

There was TONS of hype over here. There were strategic leaks as well as rampant speculation all over the place. Gawker was offering several thousands of dollars as a reward for just photos of the damn thing. You don't need to have publicly confirmed hard info for hype.

It's not comparable to a netbook, though, because you'd have to buy an (expensive) keyboard attachment and dongle in order to type on the damn thing, and then you'd have to have a separate iPod to listen to music while you did it. a 10" touchscreen keyboard just isn't practical. 3G is nothing special when the surroundings are so limited. It's less portable than an iPhone, and doesn't provide enough extra to be worth it. Some people wanted a bigger screen, fine, but there's nothing new here, which is a major disappointment.

And don't say it has great access to apps and media and such. It has restricted access to everything. It all must be done through Apple, which is my biggest complaint. If it weren't so closed, people could innovate solutions for stuff, but as it is, it's totally locked.

Like releasing the 2G phone first, they will release shitty book reader first, then the next generation will have that real ink thing, probably improved upon. The downsized first version is to create the want for the proper version. The massive deals with the publishing industry that they signed shows their intent to develop this market. They 'will stand on the shoulders' of Amazon's Kindle as he put it.

"Most people's idea of a computer is just fucking about on facebook" - thats the kind of market insight that drives decision making on product development.

A good example of early criticism of the iPhone was the use of MMS. Who sends MMS nowadays? You upload photos to online galleries which you can share in an instant. Didnt stop everyone screaming the first iPhone was shit because you cant MMS. In 10 years time no-one will use MMS.

Its the first piece in a development chain anyway so it'll interesting to see where it goes. The way i look at this is this is as powerful as a macbook, is always online, is about the size of a book and weighs fuck all, perfect for reading ebooks (or will be) and watching movies and listening to music and doing work and doing email and playing games and surfing the net. Which other product out there does all that? Genuine question.

I dont know if this will 'change the way we read books' but from a business perspective, it will be interesting to watch.

HF, it doesnt have an arm to stand it up, develop one.

Does it have a little arm that swings out the back to stand it up?

It'd need to have a little hand too, that'll swing out and wank me off for me to be interested. Now that'd be innovation.