Curtis Davies

Barney

NEWCASTLE United boss Chris Hughton is understood to be looking to make a loan move for Aston Villa defender Curtis Davies.

The Chronicle understands that, after securing the services of Danny Simpson, Hughton has been working through his shortlist – and Davies’ name is on that list.

The 24-year-old has not figured for the Carling Cup finalists since August, and his season has been hampered by a shoulder injury. Davies had recurring problems with the injury and underwent a shoulder operation in September, but is now pressing again for first-team action.However, Villa boss Martin O’Neill is not short on defenders – with even former Toon star Habib Beye benched at the moment – and Davies is keen to go out on loan. And with Hughton already failing in a bid for Matthew Kilgallon during the January transfer window, Davies would fit the bill perfectly for United, who have little experienced defensive cover for Fabricio Coloccini and Steven Taylor.

A Birmingham source told the Chronicle: “Curtis is keen to play first-team football again for obvious reasons after injury.“There are a clutch of sides after him and one is Newcastle United.“It all depends on if Martin O’Neill can give him a chance of regular football at Villa.”The 6ft 2in defender is also a proven Championship player and was included in the PFA’s second tier team of the season in 2007.

This set up a season long loan switch to Aston Villa in the 2007/08 campaign before a big money permanent move followed, which is thought to amount to around £8m overall.Last season Davies was a first-team regular under O’Neill, and ironically was in the side that sent Newcastle down on the final game of last term on a dark day for Magpies fans at Villa Park.

Should Hughton be able to pull off the deal it would be regarded as transfer success, if Londoner Davies can prove his fitness.Davies started his career as a trainee at Wimbledon before heading to Luton Town where he made 56 appearances and scored twice for the Hatters.A £3m transfer to West Brom followed before his stint at Villa.Davies also has three caps for England Under-21s, and was a team-mate of Steven Taylor for the young Three Lions.Meanwhile, Peter Lovenkrands is in contention for Saturday’s game at West Brom after returning to England following his father’s funeral.

Don't get why we keep going for defenders where that seems to be the best functioning part of the side this season.

Cos if one gets injured we are in trouble. :wank:

Exactly! Just look at when Tayls and Colo were out.

I dont mind so long as we get a midfielder and a striker too.

Don't get why we keep going for defenders where that seems to be the best functioning part of the side this season.

Pancake, Raylor, Guthrie, Nolan, Barton, Smith, Jonas, Butt is a cracker midfield for the CCC, especially when compared to our attackers -

* 23 Shola Ameobi

* 24 Andy Carroll

* 30 Nile Ranger

* 31 Frank Wiafe Danquah

* 42 Ryan Donaldson

* 46 Haris Vuckic

* Peter Lovenkrands

So that clearly shows we need 2 quality strikers.

EDIT - I wouldn't even bother including Donaldson, Vuckic and Danquah but it makes us look really shit if i didn't.

Edited by Kevin

Pancake, Raylor, Guthrie, Nolan, Barton, Smith, Jonas, Butt is a cracker midfield for the CCC, especially when compared to our attackers -

* 23 Shola Ameobi

* 24 Andy Carroll

* 30 Nile Ranger

* 31 Frank Wiafe Danquah

* 42 Ryan Donaldson

* 46 Haris Vuckic

* Peter Lovenkrands

So that clearly shows we need 2 quality strikers.

EDIT - I wouldn't even bother including Donaldson, Vuckic and Danquah but it makes us look really shit if i didn't.

Whats your point?

Pancake, Raylor and Butt are complete shit.

Guthrie and Nolan arent much better.

Jonas is ok.

Barton has a point to prove.

Smith does a job.

Simple fact is whether it be a central midfielder or someone to go on either flank we need something more in midfield to create for our strikers.

In that statement alone you prove how little you know or understand.

Barton is getting 60k a week not to play - he has nothing to prove and his attitude shows it.

If the club sacked him when they had the chance, they would of saved in wasted wages many times over what they would have lost from a lack of transfer fee.

Barton is getting 60k a week not to play - he has nothing to prove and his attitude shows it.

If the club sacked him when they had the chance, they would of saved in wasted wages many times over what they would have lost from a lack of transfer fee.

What?

Iv probably played more football than you ever have mate, plus iv coached a bairns team who done pretty well with what i taught them so me thinks your talking shit.

Barton HAS a massive point to prove, to us as newcastle fans who pay his wages, to the entire footballing world, to potential suiters should he leave and most of all to himself.

He has been a complete cock for years but undoubtedly he is or certainly was a very good midfielder. I think anyone with an ounce of humanity would want to rebuild a shattered reputation in his shoes.

So yes he has a point to prove and im willing to give him till the end of the season to prove it...if not he can fuck off.

What?

Iv probably played more football than you ever have mate, plus iv coached a bairns team who done pretty well with what i taught them so me thinks your talking shit.

Barton HAS a massive point to prove, to us as newcastle fans who pay his wages, to the entire footballing world, to potential suiters should he leave and most of all to himself.

He has been a complete cock for years but undoubtedly he is or certainly was a very good midfielder. I think anyone with an ounce of humanity would want to rebuild a shattered reputation in his shoes.

So yes he has a point to prove and im willing to give him till the end of the season to prove it...if not he can fuck off.

Of course you have!

Barton will not and hasn't the urge to prove anything to anyone associated with NUFC. And those like yourself who keep spouting this shite are fookin kidding themselves. The only thing Barton will do is leave us eventually for free and like Bowyer and Bellamy and the other wasters our club keeps telling the world they are worth the grief (Bellamy came close because he at least matched his mouth on the pitch), he will spend his remaining days plodding around for an average PL club.

What?

Of course you have!

Barton will not and hasn't the urge to prove anything to anyone associated with NUFC. And those like yourself who keep spouting this shite are fookin kidding themselves. The only thing Barton will do is leave us eventually for free and like Bowyer and Bellamy and the other wasters our club keeps telling the world they are worth the grief (Bellamy came close because he at least matched his mouth on the pitch), he will spend his remaining days plodding around for an average PL club.

Yeah of course i have...Played for county 12 times through high school, trials for darlington at 14, won league with Golden eagle pub scoring 8 from midfield and came 2nd in the league with BlythSpartans U12's in my 1st year....not that i need to prove ANYTHING you you fella.

I understand your point RE Barton and i stand to be corrected at the end of the season if he hasnt made any attempt to right his wrongs on the pitch. Im not professing he is a changed man nor that he is the midfield maestro we need, but i'd of thought there would be a little something inside the lad that would want to restore his pride, his name and most of all his reputation as a footballer.

Yes he has made too many mistakes, yes he has had plenty of chances but you just cant give up on someone like that, he needs to be playing and concentrating on his football in order to build some bridges. Unfortunatly for him and us injuries have hampered that...so like i say dont write him of, give him till the end of the season and if he doesnt cut it then he can go and expect a frosty reception should he return to St James Park.

Yeah of course i have...Played for county 12 times through high school, trials for darlington at 14, won league with Golden eagle pub scoring 8 from midfield and came 2nd in the league with BlythSpartans U12's in my 1st year....not that i need to prove ANYTHING you you fella.

...so like i say dont write him of, give him till the end of the season and if he doesnt cut it then he can go and expect a frosty reception should he return to St James Park.

Of course you do :wank:

Otherwise you'd realise you don't know anyone or what they have done from adam.

I play football with a guy who was trialled by Arsenal when he was 14 but in the end didn't amount to much.

U12, U14, high school and pub league :D fuck off .COCK

As for the last point, horse shit. He's had his chance and you forget there were rumours abound on his "injuries" when he made it known he was leaving citeh.

But that's alright, you keep holding your breath waiting for the cunt to change.

...so like i say dont write him of, give him till the end of the season and if he doesnt cut it then he can go and expect a frosty reception should he return to St James Park.

Of course you do :wank:

Otherwise you'd realise you don't know anyone or what they have done from adam.

I play football with a guy who was trialled by Arsenal when he was 14 but in the end didn't amount to much.

U12, U14, high school and pub league :D fuck off .COCK

As for the last point, horse shit. He's had his chance and you forget there were rumours abound on his "injuries" when he made it known he was leaving citeh.

But that's alright, you keep holding your breath waiting for the cunt to change.

Never said id amount to much as a footballer, doesnt matter what level its at, more so that i understand the game.

Im not being offensive to you fella just making a point so pipe down yeah?

I would never hold my breath on Barton, but i think there is a chance he could come good, like i've said im not sayin he will, but he could, if he doesnt who gives a fuck!

I think Sammy means he couldn't give a fuck so whether you think he has a point to prove or not doesn't matter if Joey Barton isn't bothered about making a mark here. Also my concern would be he'd be shoved wide right where, like Guthrie, he would be wasted.

I think Sammy means he couldn't give a fuck so whether you think he has a point to prove or not doesn't matter if Joey Barton isn't bothered about making a mark here. Also my concern would be he'd be shoved wide right where, like Guthrie, he would be wasted.

I think thats a big possibility although i think he still would do better than Raylor and Pancake.

Hughton doesnt have the balls to drop Nolan.

Alex do you think Barton still has something to offer us?

cheers marra.

I think thats a big possibility although i think he still would do better than Raylor and Pancake.

Hughton doesnt have the balls to drop Nolan.

Alex do you think Barton still has something to offer us?

Aye but I think he looked like he wasn't arsed when he did play this season. I actually think part of that (at least) might have been down to him playing wide right (despite being the best CM we have) to accomodate lesser players in his position.

that chap really is a .COCK.

You still going on fella...its all you ever say...mind your irish so im suprised you can manage to string a few words today you alcoholic inbred shamrock loving thick cunt!

BLAM...POW! :wank:

You make me laugh you sad little man.

What?

Of course you have!

I understand your point RE Barton and i stand to be corrected at the end of the season if he hasnt made any attempt to right his wrongs on the pitch. Im not professing he is a changed man nor that he is the midfield maestro we need, but i'd of thought there would be a little something inside the lad that would want to restore his pride, his name and most of all his reputation as a footballer.

Yes he has made too many mistakes, yes he has had plenty of chances but you just cant give up on someone like that, he needs to be playing and concentrating on his football in order to build some bridges. Unfortunatly for him and us injuries have hampered that...so like i say dont write him of, give him till the end of the season and if he doesnt cut it then he can go and expect a frosty reception should he return to St James Park.

:wank: Couldn't help myself.