What are you drinking?

Guest alex

Eh?

:lol:

Sampled some lovely whiskies of late. Wor lass got me a bottle of the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition (sherry finish) which is fucking unbelievable stuff and I bought myself a really nice 15 year old Glendronach which is a nice rich dram.

Im glad you're back Alex, I am after a couple of bottles and you maybe able to point me in a direction.

One for myself, I like a Bushmills Black Bush, Glenmorangie.

One for the old man, he like similar, but loves his Jura

Im glad you're back Alex, I am after a couple of bottles and you maybe able to point me in a direction.

One for myself, I like a Bushmills Black Bush, Glenmorangie.

One for the old man, he like similar, but loves his Jura

Black Bush is nice. It's a blended whisky, as you probably know. A few really nice blended Scotches are Johnnie Walker Black Label and Chivas Regal 12 year old. They're quite different in style but both very drinkable. Another couple of of nice blends which are slightly more unusual are Pig's Nose (made by the same people as the Edinburgh Gin I mentioned above) and Great King Street made by Compass Box. Compass Box make absolutely superb whiskies and everything I've tried by them has been fantastic but my favourite would be a malt they do called The Spice Tree. If you like Glenmorangie (which is a very nice drop imo) then you could check out some of their different 'finishes', i.e. whiskies that have been matured in a bourbon barrel for about 10 years then get an extra year or so in a different barrel to provide a different taste. They do one called Nectar D'Or which has been finished in a Sauterne cask (sweet French desert wine) and another called Quinta Ruben (port finish).

Also, if your Dad likes Jura he might like the Tobermory Monkey's Fist posted as they're both quite light in style. Another suggestion would be a Lowland malt like Bladnoch (small independently owned company) or Auchentoshan (which is triple distilled in the traditional Lowland style).

And MF, if you get the chance to try it, the 15 year old Tobermory is absolutely lush - Xmas cake in a glass.

I got the Tobermory 10 from booths for £20. It's not very refined and doesn't have a strong flavour but is still nice. Well worth £20.

Got a Jura superstition from sainsburys for £24 and have been really enjoying that.

I don't think I've had a bad single malt but I think the normal 10 y.o. Jura is canny boring tbh. Not much to it at all. If you're going to pay £20 for it you might as well

spend a touch more and get something much nicer. In fact, I'd rather have any of the blends I mentioned. Supersition's a bit more interesting, being a mix of an older unpeated malt and a young peated one. Bushmill's 10 y.o. Single Malt is a lovely drop though.

Btw, I picked up a fantastic bargain for people who like Cognac. Sainsbury's do a Taste the Difference XO Cognac. It's £28 for a 500ml bottle in the shops but online it's £20.45. Sainsbury's were offering £12 off if you spent £60 on your first online shop so I got 3 bottles for just over £50 (inc postage) instead of the £84 you'd pay in the shop. It's absolutely lush as well.

I got the Tobermory 10 from booths for £20. It's not very refined and doesn't have a strong flavour but is still nice. Well worth £20.

Got a Jura superstition from sainsburys for £24 and have been really enjoying that.

That's where I got mine. Half price til December apparantly

Ah right. Only time I've been in a Booth's was when I was in Windermere and all the branding of labels etc. looks like Waitrose's so I thought they must be the same company.

I had a look on the internet and it normally retails at £28-£33. It would be very pricey for what it is at £40. £20 is a bargain for it though.

I thought booths was independent. Just a small supermarket chain from Lancashire. Haven't seen them anywhere outside the north west anyway.

Aye, still, £ 20 for a decent malt isn't too shabby.

Booths is independent as far as I know. They have a " buying alliance" , whatever the fuck that is, with Waitrose, but aren't owned by them.

Well that's not much use to me.

Seen the store in Keswick before and always thought it was canny. Never realised they were so big in the NW.

I don't think I've had a bad single malt but I think the normal 10 y.o. Jura is canny boring tbh. Not much to it at all. If you're going to pay £20 for it you might as well

spend a touch more and get something much nicer. In fact, I'd rather have any of the blends I mentioned. Supersition's a bit more interesting, being a mix of an older unpeated malt and a young peated one. Bushmill's 10 y.o. Single Malt is a lovely drop though.

Btw, I picked up a fantastic bargain for people who like Cognac. Sainsbury's do a Taste the Difference XO Cognac. It's £28 for a 500ml bottle in the shops but online it's £20.45. Sainsbury's were offering £12 off if you spent £60 on your first online shop so I got 3 bottles for just over £50 (inc postage) instead of the £84 you'd pay in the shop. It's absolutely lush as well.

i like it. i got into whiskey first by drinkiing neat Jim Bean and JD so am quite partial to the more easy drinking drops. i particularly enjoy irish whiskey. i've said it before on this thread but greenore is one of my favourites.

my dad has got me into more complex, peaty scotch lately, ardberg laphroaig etc but i prefer them at the end of the night after i've warmed up with something a bit smoother.

Redbreast is nice if we're talking about whiskey of the Irish persuasion btw. Sainsbury's do an 8 year old Taste the Difference Irish Malt which is very nice too. And I wouldn't say the standard Jura isn't a pleasant enough drink but it's just a bit meh imo. You should obviously just drink what you like though. Trying to be connoisseurial for the sake of it is plainly ridiculous and can lead to comparions between Special Brew and Trappist ales in the wrong hands ;)

There's a whole world of whisky out there for you to explore though, that's the beauty of it and, unlike e.g. Cognac, there is such a wide range of flavour profiles, which makes it such an interesting drink imo.

i love it. i keep trying to get the mrs into it but am fighting a losing battle - she can't even bare to be in the same room as me after i've opened the arberg because of the fumes.

i love it. i keep trying to get the mrs into it but am fighting a losing battle - she can't even bare to be in the same room as me after i've opened the arberg because of the fumes.

Wor lass gets stuck into my brandy enough so I'm quite pleased she's not a fan of whisky tbh. She likes the smell of some though, not the peated ones but the rich, sherried ones especially.

Atm, I've got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 y.o., a bottle of their Distiller's Edition, that 15 y.o. Glendronach and that's it. I probably buy one about every 1-2 months and if people ask what I want for Xmas / Birthdays I always just say a bottle of whisky.

A friend of mine has a Lochnagar and has had it for about 9 years, so its probably 19y/o in total.

Might be wrong, but I thought Whiskey aged best in the barrel, not the bottle?

Might be wrong, but I thought Whiskey aged best in the barrel, not the bottle?

I think you are right, as it takes on the flavours of what was in the barrell before.

However, it doesnt go off, so I am sure it fine like.