What are you drinking?

Guest alex

I'm getting nearly £400 a week off the government for my problems which isn't enough but is far more than I thought they'd give me.

Not enough for what though? That's more per month than a junior nurse earns.

Having to mostly stay off the booze must help financially mind, the amount it's possible to spend on lager piss alone on a night out is terrifying, never mind stuff that might actually be nice. :panic:

I think her point was did you expect to get the same money as you'd have earnt working, 400 a week is way more than I'd have thought you'd get off the state like you say.

:up:

Ant was right. I'm not being a nosey parker, it was more of a rhetorical question. If I'm honest, your comment came across as a tad ungrateful so I was curious as to what you think you should be getting. I say that as a working, single mother who isn't entitled to a penny from anyone for anything. I've absolutely no doubt that you're going through the worst thing you've ever experienced and I don't begrudge you the help you're getting for a second but that is a huge amount of money.

Ant was right. I'm not being a nosey parker, it was more of a rhetorical question. If I'm honest, your comment came across as a tad ungrateful so I was curious as to what you think you should be getting. I say that as a working, single mother who isn't entitled to a penny from anyone for anything. I've absolutely no doubt that you're going through the worst thing you've ever experienced and I don't begrudge you the help you're getting for a second but that is a huge amount of money.

I know a certain coastally based horticulturalist who would disagree. ;)

say that as a working, single mother who isn't entitled to a penny from anyone for anything.

Aye apologies pet. We want a big hoose though and if I was working we'd get what we wanted. Anyway having a large amount of my brain removed in August has done fuck all for my lack of sensitivity.

What's the crack with your job Stevie? Seems like you're not up to it and won't be for a while - do you get paid or anything?

I know it should be the least of your worries but it scared me last year when I was out of work how much something serious would screw me finance wise.

I'd be alright on that score now but it's certainly a concern for the future.

Thats why we have things like Critical Illness cover etc

Thats why we have things like Critical Illness cover etc

Catch 22 for me - the only life/illness cover I have is from work as paying for something twice seems daft but obviously no work means no cover.

In my previous job one of the lads in my team was originally taken on as a contractor to cover a bloke with cancer but they made him permanent when the bloke died - he'd been on full pay for nearly three years before his death which is obviously a "good" benefit.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a birthday party last Saturday. I now have 2 bottles of champagne, 7 bottles of prosecco, 3 litres of gin, a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, 2 bottles of Jumilla, a bottle of Malibu and some of my auntie Linda's home made Limoncello and Christmas Pud flavoured vodka.

Where shall I start?

As it's still summer here (just) I'm watching the sun go down with a tasty Black Cottage rose. Still shorts and t-shirt weather....not a cloud in the sky.....which is nice.

Edited by Kitman